Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Neck Pillow - I Think This Would Make A Nice Christmas Gift

Smile Neck Pillow - I Think This Would Make A Nice Christmas Gift

I made this this morning in about two hours. The hand sewing took a little while but it was fun to make and it fits really well. This link http://weallsew.com/2013/09/05/trave...-for-weallsew/ has the pattern .pdf and the instructions for sewing. I think this would make a really nice Christmas gift. I'm planning on using mine for long distance driving trips when I'm not driving.

Name:  004.JPG
Views: 2019
Size:  148.2 KB

Like this a lot!!!

Blog Entries
    I could use one for my husband! love your fabric
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    nice pillow, love the fabric, thanks for the link
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I was just looking at these at stores. Prices range all over the place! I might have to sneak this project in yet this week. Thanks!

I am taking my 11 DGD on a plane trip to Philly next week - guess what I am going to make this weekend!??

I gave my daughter & her family one that I had because they travel a lot. They love it. I didn't make it but I thought about taking the pattern off it before I gave it away but I never did. It had a zipper in it too so you could take the cover off to wash it. They are handy to have & quite expensive if you buy one.

Love the material pattern you used. Our hospital auxiliary sewing group makes these for sales events and they always sell out right away. They are so useful for traveling.

Nice idea!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

The first one was so much fun I made a second one.

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 1020
Size:  115.2 KB

I have never used one of these. How firm should they be stuffed? Did you just use poly fill?

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
    I have never used one of these. How firm should they be stuffed? Did you just use poly fill?

I only used polyfil and stuffed it as much as I could. I think they are supposed to be pretty firm so it supports your head.

I have left over poly batting, and am thinking of cutting it up and using it for the stuffing, along with some fiberfill. I will let you know if it works.

Blog Entries
    What size print did you use to print pattern in PDF format?

Quote Originally Posted by annievee View Post
    What size print did you use to print pattern in PDF format?
    I just hit print once the document opened in Adobe Reader. I didn't change any of the print options. There are two pieces to the pattern and each piece is on a separate page.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, I got it figured out .

Quote Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
    I only used polyfil and stuffed it as much as I could. I think they are supposed to be pretty firm so it supports your head.
    I purchased one a month ago and would like it better if it were stuffed so full -- it tilts my head forward too much. I'm going to make another one and use half the stuffing from the purchased one. That is the advantage of having a zipper!

A long time ago, I purchased one of these neck pillows fairly inexpensively. It just had a muslin cover, so I made a pattern and have since covered it twice. We went on a long trip in June, so I took the cover off and washed it and the pillow itself and they both came out great. The muslin doesn't have a zipper, but it feels like fiberfill. About a year ago, I covered another one for my husband's truck. I think he got it at a low price from Walmart. Now, he wants me to cover another one when he takes 2 friends fishing. His are covered with fleece fabric that have wolves on it. I just used cotton for my pillow. But, this new one he got, has no muslin inside. The fiberfill is sort of brown and it is covered with cheap velveteen. I'm just going to leave it on as a liner and cover the whole thing with the fleece. I put zippers in all the covers. Both my husband and I really like them. They are stuffed pretty full, but not tight. We find they work better if the back of the car seat is lowered down. Your head stays within the opening easier. I think you will really like it. These would make nice Christmas presents! Good idea.
    Last edited by VernaL; 08-25-2015 at 06:36 PM. Reason: add one more sentence
    Let peace begin with me and you.

Power Poster
    I have one and I love it...thanks for sharing..