Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need advice on combining two feather pillows >

Need advice on combining two feather pillows

Need advice on combining two feather pillows

Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM

Here in missouri there is a co called (I think) Suede Master. You send your pillows to them, they remove all the feathers, clean them (the proper way)then replace all the ticking and it is SUPER cheap (like 5-7 bucks) compaired to the price of a new feather pillow. You might check with a cleaner in your area, If you take them the two pillows they may be able to either restore them back to their original fluff, or combine the two into one. then you won't have to even worry about the mess!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by M.E.H.
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I would do it outside for sure.
When the wind is not blowing:-)
A funny story here.......

I was working at home one day when one of the kids was sick. This was eons ago, we lived in Florida. In the backyard we had a pool we shared with the other people in the duplex.

Anyways, I had to finish some down pillows for a living room set I have been working on back at my shop. So I had the brilliant idea of stuffing them outdoors. Well, the wind decided to pick up and blew a bunch of the feathers into the pool. Just about that time my nosy landlord showed up. He panicked and screamed, "what the hell are you doing?" without missing a beat I said, "I am practicing my voodoo, and all the stuffing for your doll just blew into the pool." He left, and sent over a pool service to clean the pool.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
Two of my feather pillows are losing their fluff so I want to combine all the feathers in one case. Does anyone have advice on how to do this in the LEAST messiest way? I am making a new sealed case and using the old as a liner avoiding leaking feathers when I change the fancy pillow case. I think I will use a mask so I don't get any up my nose. I've never done this before so I hope I don't regret breaking the seal. LOL

Thanks.
Well I finally got to the task of combining my two feather pillows today. Wow, what an experience. Not as messy as I thought it would be. I prepared the new pillow case and let it open about 18 inches. Used a binder clip to hold a large trash bag on the back of my dining room chair, cut the corner of the old pillow casing and dumped it in gently. The feathers were so soft and pretty! Repeat with the second pillow. Looking forward to resting my head on it tonight. Another task completed. :)
Old 11-04-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I have done it before. The first thing I would do is wash the pillows. Then while they are still wet, take them outside and transfer the feathers to the new casing. Sew it closed and dry. A lot less mess this way! :D
GREAT idea
Old 11-05-2010, 12:50 AM

If you wipe your hands and arms with a dryer sheet any stray feathers won't cling to you. Discovered this while making a down bathrobe.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I have done it before. The first thing I would do is wash the pillows. Then while they are still wet, take them outside and transfer the feathers to the new casing. Sew it closed and dry. A lot less mess this way! :D
Hmmmm that sounds like a good idea.