Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on new vacuum cleaner

Blog Entries
    My Dyson is 10 years old, never needed a repair. All I do is cut off the accumulated threads from around the brushed - I get a lot of those, and empty it regularly - i.e. before it is full up.

Love my Dyson too. Got mine at Sam's club. The new house only has carpet in the sewing room, though we will have area rugs, so may get another one for upstairs, as the dyson is heavy for me to carry.
    This house has no wood floors - what is the best thing to use on wood floors since new house is all wood.

Yvonne, I understand there are several models of the Dyson. Which one do you have? It looks like Dyson's are getting the most votes.

If you have pets, you WILL want the one for animals. Trust those of us that have it. lol
    I should vacuum my carpet for you...it's just an area rug and show you what comes up out of it. Mind you...it sits in front of the slider so it does get the dust from outside, but the cats just gravitate to it because of the cool air that will blow in on them. I vacuum it once a week and am always amazed at what comes up.

Blog Entries
    I buy the cheapest one with the features I want and use it up, then buy another one. Vacuums are revised every few months so I don't want to get stuck with a high dollar vacuum to have to use for years to get my money's worth. The cheap new ones sold now will out perform the expensive models of a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by The Babe
    Yvonne, I understand there are several models of the Dyson. Which one do you have? It looks like Dyson's are getting the most votes.
    DC-17 Mine's blue but they all look purple now. Must have changed.
    Anyway,
    It's designed for asthma and allergies and animals! I'm still amazed at what that vacuum can find to suck up! I also like the fact that I can change from carpets to wood floors with just the push of a button. Is also does a great job of clearing the "beach" from around the cat's litter box. Thank goodness!

I know most of the gal's said a Dyson was the best,but in fact it's one of the worst each to their own. I'll take a Miele over any of the vacuums out there. I have 5 dogs, dirt road and 7 birds.I have both an upright and a canister. The upright's head moves making it easy to get around things and it will clean hardwood floors as I have both carpet and hardwood. I've had the canister over 10 years not one problem.

I'll cast my vote for Dyson... I had a discussion with the local Miele dealer and was tempted... so I brought my 10 year old Dyson in to his shop and let him vacuum first fully expecting there to be nothing left for the Dyson. To my, and his, surprise, the Dyson pulled up tons of dirt left behind. When we reversed the test... the Miele pulled up almost nothing after the Dyson. I live with 3 Great Danes which freely roam 10 acres of dirt and mud and I wouldn't be without my Dyson. The Dyson also does and excellent job on area rugs and hard surface flooring and it makes very short work of getting the dog hair up in the SUV after a trip to the dog park

Blog Entries
    I have a Kenmore Cannister and it does the job just fine on all types of floors. It had a real good rating with Consumer Reports.

It is easy to maneuver and not very heavy. I like the telescoping handle. All those features are important because I have back problems.

The bags are easy to change and are available in paper or heppa filter.

I really appreciate all the feedback you all have given. I still haven't made up my mind so keep your opinions coming!

I purchased a Kirby about 4 years ago and it has carpet cleaner attachments with it. It is a dream and so easy to push. It is the best sweeper I have ever had in 35 years of marriage.

I have had Hoover's for years and love them. Have back trouble so the "self propelled" feature is great..... I have a friend that has a Dyson and hates it, so I guess it is all just a matter of taste. Our local WalMart carries the Hoovers and the last time I looked, the Dyson also. Good Luck

Like Ranny, I have always had Hoover's and been very satisfied. Recently bought a self propelled for myself and dd's BD gift was a self propelled one.
    She has 2 dogs and a cat and really likes the hair pick up.
    Have never heard of Dyson before but w/all the response, I will surely check it out for my next one. :D

I wish I could advise but my vacuum cleaner sucks! :roll: Oh--I guess that is what they are supposed to do, right? :? lol

Ok here is another recommendation - I have a Kenmore Progressive . Our house has wood floors and carpets. I LOVE it - it works great on both. It has this Inteli - Clean option which varies the suction and brush speed depending on the amount of dirt that is being sucked in. Also has Hepa filter.

I have a lab who has a problem standing still for brushing and I could easily "build" a new lab regularly (lol) from the fur left on the floor and carpet. I works really well. My only complaint is - it is bulky.

Dyson, Dyson, Dyson! I love mine! After wind-tunnels and dirt-devils, I bought a Dyson and I will never go back. (As a retired lady mechanic, (28yrs.) I can appreciate the engineering/function of this great vaccum!)
    My dil borrowed it and didn't want to give it back. :D

I also have the Kenmore Progressive. I have 2 boxers (dogs) that shed like crazy, with the short fur and it sucks up the fur with no problem. This is the best vacuum I have ever used for the fur problem we have. I love this vacuum.

Mrs. Good_Wrench, what model Dyson do you have? There are so many to choose from.

Well, I can tell what NOT to get!! Dirt Devils are AWFUL, no edge suction, flimsy attatchments, just junk. I bought it after an old eureka bravo finally bit the dust (or dog hair actually). That sweeper was great..and cheap (under $100) My next one will be a canister of some type as most of the wall to wall has been ripped out and I need something for the hardwood. But I guess alot of it depends on how much you want to spend..Dysons are several hundred..around here, the animal one is around $400..Hoover runs the price list, this stupid dirt devil was $150. Better figure out how much you can spend first, might narrow your choices considerably!!

Blog Entries
    I have a Dyson Animal because of wall to wall carpeting plus big dogs with long fur that used to wreck my machine's in months. It's awkward to use and I wish they had the Dyson Ball when I bought this but it is a super machine. I tell my hubby it's too hard for me to manage so now he does the rugs. Hey, works for me. :lol:

We bought our Dyson at Sears. My daughter bought hers at Target and I've seen them at Costco.
    We absolutely love the Dyson vacuum. I always thought I was fairly good about keeping the house clean but after that first trip around with the dyson I had my doubts! What a bunch of dirt we'd been living with. No more! We live with a black cat and we could knit another cat with the fur the dyson manages to find.
    I'd give the Dyson a 5 star rating out of 5.[/quote]

Oh yeah, I've thrown away at least 6 whole cats worth of cat fur since we got the Dyson. I couldn't believe how much that vacuum picks up when I started using it!

Scissor Queen, what model did you purchase? They have so many available. I would think the one with the ball would be a great one to get around furniture with.

I've following with interest this thread since I have also been in the market for a new vacuum cleaner.

So many of you liked the Dyson, I bought one on E Bay. It was very reasonable--$219.00 to be exact---no sales tax and no shipping.

The seller refurbishes Dyson vaccums that have been returned. The vauccums are all stripped down, cleaned out, any new parts are replaced. It comes with a six month limited warrranty against original defects in materials and workmanship I received all the paperwork, too. The machine looks NEW and it works GREAT. (Of course, I have to admit I was comparing it to a Eureka which has been less than satisfactory.) He sells other Vaccums as well not only Dysons.

Mine is a pretty purple color, too, and boy did it pick up the dog hair. We have two black Labs that shed ALOT!

Anyway, I was happy and you might want to check out their auctions:
    http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ABC-Vacu...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Quote Originally Posted by The Babe
    Scissor Queen, what model did you purchase? They have so many available. I would think the one with the ball would be a great one to get around furniture with.
    I think the one we have is the Slim. I got it on Home Shopping Network. It manuvers really easy and really cleans.

I bought the Dyson Animal about 2 1/2 years ago. It hasn't needed any repairs and I think it's a great machine. Kathy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast