Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help keeping 5 YO Entertained !?! >

Need help keeping 5 YO Entertained !?!

Need help keeping 5 YO Entertained !?!

Old 04-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sharon b
I am wiped out... had a problem with the crayon t-shirt :cry: We come home she colored the pic , I tried to iron it on the t-shirt and NOTHING :hunf: Held the iron on the page for a long time... the wax came thru the back of the page but nothing on the shirt . She was SO disappointed and so was I .

So will ask around a bit more about the coloring pic on a t-shirt to try and work out the kinks . Also for tomorrow we have a weaving loom for pot holders, some kind of beads that snap together you can put them together and take them apart, etc... make necklaces , rings, bracelets., and plastic canvas sheets and needles to work on needle point. I have LOTS of yarn for that.

THANKS for all the suggestions , one day down only 2 more to go :shock:
this is a so funny, you color right on the t-shirt litghtly Iron over a piece of paper towel, repeat this proses tell it is as you dark want it to be. I have seen this done this way some were! you are wearing me out just reading this :lol: :lol: Penny
Old 04-11-2010, 02:58 PM

Ideas to keep a five year old entertained:

Chalk on the sidewalk

Make "sculptures" with toothpicks and frozen peas

Hopskotch--if it is raining, inside on garage floor, or use yarn or string to outline it on the carpet

Jump the river--yarn that gets wider and kids jump over

Dress Up--high heels are always a big hit, and help her put "big girl" make up on, oh, and of course a manicure with real nail polish---then let her polish your fingernails and toenails

I know it has been mentioned but play dough is a great winner
use gadgets and cookie cutters from your kitchen to play with, let me know if you don't have a recipe

Cut and paste--old magazines, a pair of scissors and a glue stick
(or you could let her glue with Elmers glue scraps of fabric to make a picture or cover an oatmeal carton or even a glass jar or vase--after it's finished use mod podge (at Michael's) to seal it

Write a story--she colors pictures, you record her thoughts and ideas about each picture, it may even come out like a real story. (she can probably do a little writing)

Paint with food colors--use Q tips for paint brushes

Fingerpaint--use liquid startch straight from the bottle, color it with the food colors (or if you're real brave, make chocolate pudding and fingerpaint with it, you are allowed to lick your fingers

Tea Party Time--have her help making little sandwiches, cookies, etc for lunch--Five year olds can be such good helpers

Oh, I'm getting so excited--I wish I could drop by to help--She is never going to want to leave! Most of all enjoy the time and don't fret--it sounds like you're doing an excellent job entertaining her......
Old 04-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

On the last day I "borrowed" another lil girl and we went to the zoo :shock: LOL Oh the energy ... To be so young again .. In the first pic we stopped to look at something ? And in the second one I "talked" them into taking a break near the indoor monkey area :thumbup: It was warm in there ! My neice is the one in red with the dark brown hair
Attached Thumbnails attachment-53847.jpe   attachment-53848.jpe  
Old 04-11-2010, 03:08 PM

I have my 6 yr old grandson 3 days a week, we start with walking the dog, sometimes I run, he bikes, we do alot of baking when the weather's not so good, I help him, the amount of mess doesn't matter so much as the amount of time it eats up. Then there's dishes to wash; I let him have a pair of my old rubber gloves, a couple inches of soapy water in the sink he likes a spoon, cup a bowl, the whisk is a great toy. I put a towel on the floor move everything off that side of the counter, and let him play until he gets bored, I do somethng else... when I decide it's quiet time, we set the timer, he watches cartoons for 30 mins. On days when i just don't feel like being that active, we go to the bouncy house places that have sprung up everywhere! for 5 dollars you can sit and read while they play for usually 3 or 4 hours; if they can take it. sometimes we go to the trampoline place,or the jungle gym place, not tooo often they're kind of pricey...Good luck
Old 04-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Awwww Auntie :D:D:D What a great idea!!! Looks like you were all having a wonderful time :D:D:D