Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What's Been Keeping Me Busy

At the school where I teach we have many foreign teachers. They come for two years and then return to their countries. However, one Canadian couple have been with us for six years and have become very special to many of us. They have decided to retire this year and return to Canada.

I thought it would be nice to do something special for them as a surprise. I chose the maple leaf block and added an autograph patch to it. Then I made 90 of them and went around to all the teachers our Canadian couple have worked with these last six years and asked them to sign a block. There were more than 90 teachers to sign, so I made autograph blocks for the border of the quilt as well. I ended up with 140 signed blocks! I added the school's emblem on the corners in green, the school's colors. By then, the quilt had grown to a queen sized quilt. The quilt label on the back reads, "May our best wishes keep you warm on cold Canadian winter nights."

When we gave the quilt to them, our Canadian couple were completely surprised and delighted with their unique going-away gift.

Connie
    Attached Images Attached Images

The autograph quilt is not the only thing I have been working on. Below are two wall quilts that I have recently completed. They are called "Pansies and Tea" from Debbie Mumm's Floral Inspirations. The blue one now hangs in a friend's dining room. The pink one is still looking for a home but probably not for long.

Connie

And the final reason why I haven't been chatting with everyone too much lately. This Mariner's Compass was completed just yesterday. I paper pieced this but hand quilted it.

Connie

Those are really beautiful. It was very thoughtful of you to make the quilt for your visiting teacher. I'm sure that they will charish if for ever. If the pink one does not have a home yet I'd be more than happy to send you my address. I have just the perfect place to display it. Keep up the great work.

You are amazing! Each and everyone is just so beautiful. I know everyone that receives a quilt from you will cherish it forever. My sister made me a quilt almost 4 years ago and it sits very proudly on a chair in the livingroom that is almost the exact color of the quilt. She sent blocks off to all my siblings to sign and once she completed it sent it to me when I was having radiation for breast cancer. I will treasure it forever and so will the recipients of your quilts. You do beautiful work :!:

Beautiful, Very kind and thoughtful of you. Wonderful

Your work is really nice and enjoyed looking at it. It inspired me, I love tea, am thinking a wall hanging for the kitchen would look good :-)

Thanks for sharing. Your quilts are beautiful and how touching that you made the maple leaf quilt for your collegues. What special memories they will have because of you.

Thank you for the complements everyone, and the support. I would not have tried the panseys and tea if we were not asked to do the primitave rose for a BOM. It really wasn't as difficult as I had imagined.

For me, the fun is in the making; so I love to give away my projects.

Thanks again.

Connie

Connie,
    I just can't get over the 3D effect of your Mariner's Compass. It's awesome!
    Love all of your quilts. You do great work. The Maple Leaf quilt will give the retired teachers many years of warmth and warm memories. Lovely!

Thank you Yvonne,

Those two teachers gave the school six years of service in times that were not very relaxing for foreigners here, yet they stuck with us. They also gave us a lot of laughs and friendship. We will miss both of them dearly. The quilt seemed like a fitting way of saying "Thank you"

Connie

Connie,
    I love the idea of the autograph quilt. Did you complete the top then ask for signatures? The wall hangings are homey--NOT homely. The Mariner's Compass is outstanding--I like the 3-D effect AND I love the blue. No wonder you haven't been at the computer much!! Congratulations!
    Virginia

Thanks for the compliments Virginia. Working on them was a pleasure and a way to relax after a hectic day at school.

I completed all the blocks and then sent them to the school directors to help me get the signatures. I had all the teachers of the Middle School and about 15 teachers from the Secondary School sign the blocks. I also had to send some blocks to our second campus for signatures there. It became a logistics headache trying to get all those signatures and blocks back from all the places that they traveled to.

After getting back all the blocks, I assembled the top and then sent it out to be quilted. I had neither the time nor the ability to finish it in time for the presentation at a dinner we had for our Canadian teachers. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun.

I enjoyed doing the Mariner's Compas. It is paper pieced, so I was guaranteed of reasonable points. I searched for about 6 months to find the fabrics for it. Lebanon does not really offer a lot in the line of good cotton fabric in the colors I envisioned; but at last I found them and then did the wall hanging.

Connie

Connie,

What an amazing gift for the retiring teachers! I can only imagine how they share it with friends and family when they got home to Canada. When they tell stories about their work, they can bring the quilt out along with pictures, so they can show the signature along with the face :)

I noticed a matching pillow in one of the photos? Was there someone who missed signing the quilt and you had to make just one more place to sign? :D

Blessings!
    Crystal

---
    [---------------------------------------------------------------------]
    2007 FABRIC POSTCARD CONTEST
    http://www.artcardideas.com/
    Multiple entries accepted, deadline August 1
    Prizes for the top 10 cards. Spread the word!
    [---------------------------------------------------------------------]

Connie, I just thought I'd share this with you and explain why the signature quilt will always be cherished by those teachers. About 4 years ago, I had surgery to remove a lump in my breast, and then follow up with radiation. Well, unbeknownst to me, my sister, Virginia started making me a signature quilt of my very own! She included applique hearts and also squares of muslin that she had sent to my siblings to sign and write kind and encouraging words on. It is about the size of say a twin bed and is just fabulous. Not only that, but I had bought a new livingroom chair that summer and the quilt matches it perfectly! My sister had never even sen the chair as we live 1,000 miles apart! So I know first hand how special that quilt will be to those teachers.

homely - 1. having a familiar everyday character; unpretentious. 2. having plain features; not good looking 3. Domestic.

homey - Informal, Simple, Pleasant, Comfortable, etc.; homelike.

I think either way would be be acceptable usage in this case.

I would be sooo. tickled to recieve a wonderful gift like that. And all you quilts are lovely connie. Show us more when you can.

Very beautiful work! :) What a thoughtful gift, they will always look at the quilt and have warm memories of their time teaching with you all. :)

You HAVE been busy! That signature quilt is such a treasure!

All of your work is just fantastic

Thank you for your comments everyone. Like all of us here on the forum, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't enjoy it. Then giving the work to those who appreciate it makes the task even more fun.

Happy quilting all. :)

You sure have been busy Connie, your quilts are awesome :P , that signed maple leaf quilt is wonderful and what a great way to show someone you care :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    all the quilts are very nice

Blog Entries
    It looks like these have kept you both busy and content! They are so colorful and unique. Great work.

Connie, all of your projects are lovely! The maple leaf one will be so special for the couple. Bless you for your thoughtfulness!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!