Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What's Been Keeping Me Busy >

What's Been Keeping Me Busy

What's Been Keeping Me Busy

Old 06-11-2007, 05:48 AM

Thank you Yvonne,

Those two teachers gave the school six years of service in times that were not very relaxing for foreigners here, yet they stuck with us. They also gave us a lot of laughs and friendship. We will miss both of them dearly. The quilt seemed like a fitting way of saying "Thank you"

Connie
Old 06-18-2007, 08:12 PM

Connie,
I love the idea of the autograph quilt. Did you complete the top then ask for signatures? The wall hangings are homey--NOT homely. The Mariner's Compass is outstanding--I like the 3-D effect AND I love the blue. No wonder you haven't been at the computer much!! Congratulations!
Virginia
Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the compliments Virginia. Working on them was a pleasure and a way to relax after a hectic day at school.

I completed all the blocks and then sent them to the school directors to help me get the signatures. I had all the teachers of the Middle School and about 15 teachers from the Secondary School sign the blocks. I also had to send some blocks to our second campus for signatures there. It became a logistics headache trying to get all those signatures and blocks back from all the places that they traveled to.

After getting back all the blocks, I assembled the top and then sent it out to be quilted. I had neither the time nor the ability to finish it in time for the presentation at a dinner we had for our Canadian teachers. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun.

I enjoyed doing the Mariner's Compas. It is paper pieced, so I was guaranteed of reasonable points. I searched for about 6 months to find the fabrics for it. Lebanon does not really offer a lot in the line of good cotton fabric in the colors I envisioned; but at last I found them and then did the wall hanging.

Connie
Old 06-19-2007, 08:33 AM

Connie,

What an amazing gift for the retiring teachers! I can only imagine how they share it with friends and family when they got home to Canada. When they tell stories about their work, they can bring the quilt out along with pictures, so they can show the signature along with the face :)

I noticed a matching pillow in one of the photos? Was there someone who missed signing the quilt and you had to make just one more place to sign? :D

Blessings!
Crystal

---
[---------------------------------------------------------------------]
2007 FABRIC POSTCARD CONTEST
http://www.artcardideas.com/
Multiple entries accepted, deadline August 1
Prizes for the top 10 cards. Spread the word!
[---------------------------------------------------------------------]
Old 06-19-2007, 09:10 AM

Connie, I just thought I'd share this with you and explain why the signature quilt will always be cherished by those teachers. About 4 years ago, I had surgery to remove a lump in my breast, and then follow up with radiation. Well, unbeknownst to me, my sister, Virginia started making me a signature quilt of my very own! She included applique hearts and also squares of muslin that she had sent to my siblings to sign and write kind and encouraging words on. It is about the size of say a twin bed and is just fabulous. Not only that, but I had bought a new livingroom chair that summer and the quilt matches it perfectly! My sister had never even sen the chair as we live 1,000 miles apart! So I know first hand how special that quilt will be to those teachers.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 AM

homely - 1. having a familiar everyday character; unpretentious. 2. having plain features; not good looking 3. Domestic.

homey - Informal, Simple, Pleasant, Comfortable, etc.; homelike.

I think either way would be be acceptable usage in this case.

I would be sooo. tickled to recieve a wonderful gift like that. And all you quilts are lovely connie. Show us more when you can.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:27 PM

Very beautiful work! :) What a thoughtful gift, they will always look at the quilt and have warm memories of their time teaching with you all. :)

Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 AM

You HAVE been busy! That signature quilt is such a treasure!
Old 10-27-2007, 03:48 AM

All of your work is just fantastic
Old 10-28-2007, 04:15 AM

Thank you for your comments everyone. Like all of us here on the forum, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't enjoy it. Then giving the work to those who appreciate it makes the task even more fun.

Happy quilting all. :)