Need a new laptop

Old 08-31-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by marieann
What makes them so different that they have to be the most expensive?
If you ask this, this means you've never used one. ;> Go to an Apple store, test drive them and see!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 PM

I used several PCs at work and got along fine. When I purchased my own I got an iMac. Had to retire it as it couldn't handle newer printer, etc. Now my laptop has an Apple on the top. Who can explain love? :P
Old 08-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by marieann
What makes them so different that they have to be the most expensive?
I switched to Mac a couple of years ago and I will never go back to a Windows pc. I do not get viruses, my mac has never locked up, operating systems do not change every year. My SO has gone through 3 computers since I got my Mac and he has paid Best Buy twice to rid his computer of virus. He could have taken all this money spent and bought a mac and not had any problems. If you have windows programs you just have to use, on a mac you can load a program called Parelles and then load windows. So I have both on my computer so I can use EQ7 and still no viruses.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 PM

Really inexpensive, but does the job for around $250 or so, an Acer One net book. I got one and liked it fine till I bought an Acer Iconia android tablet. I hate Windows, too many updates. The more it updates the slower it goes. So I gave the net book to husband for his /school work. He loves to use it in class. So small yet so convenient.
The Android system is so instant gratification. Want website, go to website, no wait.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 PM

My wife and I both have HPs. Hers is about 6 years old, bought at Best Buy, with XP and I just updated it with more ram and a larger hard drive. My HP, bought at Sams Club, with Vista and is about 4 years old. Both have been good performers. We also have an Asus netbook. I use mostly Dells and MACs at work and like them both. I also have used just about every brand at work. It is all what you want and how much you want to pay. MACs are different if you are used to windows but are very easy to learn and you don't have to worry about viruses...yet.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

I bought 17.3 Acer for $399 at Walmart on one of those before Christmas daily specials. It does everything I want it to and has killer graphics, BluRay player, Media card reader, 6GB ram and I have never had any issues at all. I love the wide screen and once you use a widescreen that is all you will ever want to use. Oh and I can stream netflix to my tv from it also.

Go to Tigerdirect.com and see what you can find there. I love their prices and the customer service is spot on!

Billy
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

do not buy a HP....rumor has it, that Apple sued HP and now HP is having to stop production on ALL of their computers...

I heard this at staples a few days ago from their Geek squad..today I see that all the HP computers at Staples are on sale...hhhmmm.....first the HP touchpad and now the computers....

scope out what they have at Newegg.com...
Old 09-01-2011, 01:32 AM

I have an Acer I bought a few years ago. The battery life is terrible! I'm lucky to get 30-45 minutes. I have a lot of issues with it in general. I also have a Sony that I love. The battery life is a few hours. So much better than the Acer. I also would consider a Mac if I had the money for it.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 AM

Like anything, you can get a lemon. Acer today is awesome I understand, had one years ago, and it ran for yrs. Currently, I have a gateway laptop with Vista. It really has been a good computer but cheaply built. Won't buy another one for that reason. I have an older Dell that has been great, and a Toshiba netbook with Windows 7 that is awesome. My son has a Hp, my other son has a Mac, they all work.Most likely anything you buy today will have Win 7. So, asked yourself perhaps not the brand, but what size, battery life, price, etc. Do you want the keypad on the side? Check out the stores return policy to, so many have a restocking fee that is high. Walmart is easier to work with on this, but I have never bought one there, I know people who has. One thing I like about Dell, is you can order just want you want, pay for what you want rather than all the garbage the manufactuers put on it and then the stores such as BB and others charge you to take off. Do yr homework, watch sales and don't get in a hurry. Ask lots of questions.

Also, the smaller the laptop, the better lasting the battery will be, also will you be traveling with this if so,perhaps the smaller one will be best, if your a scrapbooker then you will probably want the larger lt. All kinds of things to consider. If I was closer, I would help you shop :)
Old 09-01-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I bought 17.3 Acer for $399 at Walmart on one of those before Christmas daily specials. It does everything I want it to and has killer graphics, BluRay player, Media card reader, 6GB ram and I have never had any issues at all. I love the wide screen and once you use a widescreen that is all you will ever want to use. Oh and I can stream netflix to my tv from it also.

Go to Tigerdirect.com and see what you can find there. I love their prices and the customer service is spot on!

Billy
Acer today is a great pc, and you can't beat the price. My friend bought one at Walmart and does everything he wants for the price he wanted to pay! I do like Tigerdirect.com also. Yea, that is another thing, if a person is willing to wait a couple of months, will be some great prices around the holidays!