Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need a new laptop

I am in need of a new laptop. Have never bought one myself. I just use the computer at work or borrow kid's computer. Any suggestions of a good, not real expensive brand to buy. I would love to have an Apple but they are so expensive.

Toshiba's are very good! I would asked yourself, how big of screen you want. 15.4? 14"? Check to see how much they weigh? The big thing for me is battery life! The more the better! All kinds of things to consider when buying a laptop, let's see what others say.

Macs are expensive for a reason. We just got our new one delivered today!

What makes them so different that they have to be the most expensive?

Went to Best Buy two years ago, got a Dell, 16.9 widescreen, Intel, 2G of memory for under $400....waited for the sale. What is stinky about it is that I have Vista - works very well for me, but it crashed when I tried to load the new Windows. If it comes with it, you are okay.

I have a new laptop. I wanted another Sony, but DH convinced me that saving $$ was more important and he bought me a Toshiba. I tell him almost daily that he will NEVER talk me out of a Sony again! EVER! My first desktop was as Sony (in 1997) and I loved it. Since then have had an Emachine desktop (piece of junk), a Toshiba laptop (ok but nothing special), a Dell laptop (really why would anyone buy this brand more than once? ... hard drive totally fried within a couple of months after the warranty ended--of course, Dell support cleverly limped it to that date) and I think something else along the way. When the Dell died a few years ago, I finally got another Sony (laptop) that I loved!!! Because technology changes so quickly, when it became sluggish and started crashing, I opted to get this Toshiba. I won't say I hate it, but I won't ever be completely happy with it. I doubt I'll ever buy anything but Sony again.

Blog Entries
    I have an Acer that I bought at Costco two years ago. I absolutely love it. Has a 14-1/2" screen and the battery life is phenomenal - Lasts a good 8 hours. Has been better that several laptops I've had that cost twice as much.

Blog Entries
    Personally.... I have had great luck with HP laptops (currently have 2). I have had my home laptop for 2 1/2 years and have not had one minute of trouble. I have had my other one for about 3 months.... no trouble yet.

When you do comparative shopping.... make sure you are comparing apples to apples. There are many, many options out there. I highly recommend a dual processer (works much faster).

You will also want to consider the type of support that will be available once you have purchased the system.

Good luck!

If you ever buy a Mac it will spoil you & you won't ever want anything else! You get what you pay for, & they outlast all the others. You don't get viruses either, like you could get on other computers. I had an G4 iBook, then hubby got a Macbook Air. Then he really wanted an iPad2, so now, I have the MacBook Air, & we sent my old one to my stepson, whose old computer had just died. Be sure & shop around, & get some good advice, before you invest in any computer....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    Toshiba's are very good! I would asked yourself, how big of screen you want. 15.4? 14"? Check to see how much they weigh? The big thing for me is battery life! The more the better! All kinds of things to consider when buying a laptop, let's see what others say.
    Typing on a Toshiba Satellite right now! Had it almost 5 years and never a problem. I missed out on the battery recall as we didnt' get the info in the mail. Still using the same battery the computer came with and it holds life for almost 4 hours. Keep it plugged in to use it except when on the road. I bought a Logitech lap pad with a fan in it to keep the laptop cooled down. Only thing I wish it had was a keypad with numerals on the right hand side. Next one! Highly recommend Toshiba or Sony. Personal choice of course.

Quote Originally Posted by marieann
    If you ask this, this means you've never used one. ;> Go to an Apple store, test drive them and see!

I used several PCs at work and got along fine. When I purchased my own I got an iMac. Had to retire it as it couldn't handle newer printer, etc. Now my laptop has an Apple on the top. Who can explain love? :P

Quote Originally Posted by marieann
    I switched to Mac a couple of years ago and I will never go back to a Windows pc. I do not get viruses, my mac has never locked up, operating systems do not change every year. My SO has gone through 3 computers since I got my Mac and he has paid Best Buy twice to rid his computer of virus. He could have taken all this money spent and bought a mac and not had any problems. If you have windows programs you just have to use, on a mac you can load a program called Parelles and then load windows. So I have both on my computer so I can use EQ7 and still no viruses.

Really inexpensive, but does the job for around $250 or so, an Acer One net book. I got one and liked it fine till I bought an Acer Iconia android tablet. I hate Windows, too many updates. The more it updates the slower it goes. So I gave the net book to husband for his /school work. He loves to use it in class. So small yet so convenient.
    The Android system is so instant gratification. Want website, go to website, no wait.

My wife and I both have HPs. Hers is about 6 years old, bought at Best Buy, with XP and I just updated it with more ram and a larger hard drive. My HP, bought at Sams Club, with Vista and is about 4 years old. Both have been good performers. We also have an Asus netbook. I use mostly Dells and MACs at work and like them both. I also have used just about every brand at work. It is all what you want and how much you want to pay. MACs are different if you are used to windows but are very easy to learn and you don't have to worry about viruses...yet.

Banned
    I bought 17.3 Acer for $399 at Walmart on one of those before Christmas daily specials. It does everything I want it to and has killer graphics, BluRay player, Media card reader, 6GB ram and I have never had any issues at all. I love the wide screen and once you use a widescreen that is all you will ever want to use. Oh and I can stream netflix to my tv from it also.

Go to Tigerdirect.com and see what you can find there. I love their prices and the customer service is spot on!

Billy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    do not buy a HP....rumor has it, that Apple sued HP and now HP is having to stop production on ALL of their computers...

I heard this at staples a few days ago from their Geek squad..today I see that all the HP computers at Staples are on sale...hhhmmm.....first the HP touchpad and now the computers....

scope out what they have at Newegg.com...

Blog Entries
    I have an Acer I bought a few years ago. The battery life is terrible! I'm lucky to get 30-45 minutes. I have a lot of issues with it in general. I also have a Sony that I love. The battery life is a few hours. So much better than the Acer. I also would consider a Mac if I had the money for it.

Like anything, you can get a lemon. Acer today is awesome I understand, had one years ago, and it ran for yrs. Currently, I have a gateway laptop with Vista. It really has been a good computer but cheaply built. Won't buy another one for that reason. I have an older Dell that has been great, and a Toshiba netbook with Windows 7 that is awesome. My son has a Hp, my other son has a Mac, they all work.Most likely anything you buy today will have Win 7. So, asked yourself perhaps not the brand, but what size, battery life, price, etc. Do you want the keypad on the side? Check out the stores return policy to, so many have a restocking fee that is high. Walmart is easier to work with on this, but I have never bought one there, I know people who has. One thing I like about Dell, is you can order just want you want, pay for what you want rather than all the garbage the manufactuers put on it and then the stores such as BB and others charge you to take off. Do yr homework, watch sales and don't get in a hurry. Ask lots of questions.

Also, the smaller the laptop, the better lasting the battery will be, also will you be traveling with this if so,perhaps the smaller one will be best, if your a scrapbooker then you will probably want the larger lt. All kinds of things to consider. If I was closer, I would help you shop :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I bought 17.3 Acer for $399 at Walmart on one of those before Christmas daily specials. It does everything I want it to and has killer graphics, BluRay player, Media card reader, 6GB ram and I have never had any issues at all. I love the wide screen and once you use a widescreen that is all you will ever want to use. Oh and I can stream netflix to my tv from it also.

Go to Tigerdirect.com and see what you can find there. I love their prices and the customer service is spot on!

Billy
    Acer today is a great pc, and you can't beat the price. My friend bought one at Walmart and does everything he wants for the price he wanted to pay! I do like Tigerdirect.com also. Yea, that is another thing, if a person is willing to wait a couple of months, will be some great prices around the holidays!

Ok, I could be a computer junkie.
    Here is a good link to start with
    http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,9,00.asp

Blog Entries
    Next time I'll get a larger screen.