Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Pattern to help my daughter stop sucking her thumb >

Need Pattern to help my daughter stop sucking her thumb

Need Pattern to help my daughter stop sucking her thumb

Old 05-03-2011, 03:37 PM

My son was a thumb sucker didn't was a bilky I finaly took him to the dentist and we did a two week thing I raped his arm and thumb before he went ti bed also gave him one of those tablets you give a kid to show where they missed brushing their teeth. Every day his wrap on his thumb was clean he got a star when he went for the full two weeks he got a plain he wanted. The reping of the arm won't het them place the thumb in the mouth. It worked pretty good
Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Most errors I ignore, but I assume you meant "wrapped" instead of "raped". Sorry, but that's a bad one.

Originally Posted by carhop
My son was a thumb sucker didn't was a bilky I finaly took him to the dentist and we did a two week thing I raped his arm and thumb before he went ti bed also gave him one of those tablets you give a kid to show where they missed brushing their teeth. Every day his wrap on his thumb was clean he got a star when he went for the full two weeks he got a plain he wanted. The reping of the arm won't het them place the thumb in the mouth. It worked pretty good
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 PM

It's good she is ready to stop I hope this works!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 PM

my g/f's granddaughter is 8 and a severe thumbsucker. The dentist put a gadget in her mouth (like an expander) so she couldn't suck her thumb. So far its working great...been several months, however, its expensive....$800!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 AM

Try using a hand knitted mitten. The texture and taste is off putting for most children.I wish your daughter the best in her endeavour to stop this habit.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:36 AM

My mother was a thumb sucker. That turned into nail biting when she got older. She did not want us to have this habit so she would slap our hands everytime we tried to put our fingers in our mouths. I'm pretty sure we would not have been suckers/biters anyway. My youngest used to suck his thumb and then it turned to nail biting. We tried all sorts of things and nothing worked. And even though he wore braces, they were not for buck teeth. We tried substituting a pacifer but it did not work. He either wanted a bottle or his thumb.

Since he's in his 20's, it's up to him to quit nail biting. Even though it's not sanitary, I would rather he have this habit for relieving stress than some others I could think of.

Be careful that you don't create more of a problem than nail biting. Is there another habit for relieving stress that could replace sucking/biting? I have heard some people using a worry stone that they keep in their pockets and rub it.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 AM

As a mom that had 3 thumbsuckers-let her be. Mine all quit on their own-teeth are fine. Asked dentist about it. He said not to make an issue about it. If HE noticed it was causing a problem, he would talk to them about it.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 AM

We used an old glove to break DD of sucking her finger, but it was no use until SHE was ready to quit. Then the glove worked. She was about 6 or 7 years old.