Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Pattern to help my daughter stop sucking her thumb >

Need Pattern to help my daughter stop sucking her thumb

Need Pattern to help my daughter stop sucking her thumb

Old 05-03-2011, 07:28 AM

I have seen a thing that goes on childrens thumb and wraps around the wrist to stay on and it helps children stop sucking their thumb. Does anyone have a pattern or know where I can get one? My 7 yo daughter has finally agreed that she has "butt" (buck) teeth, and wants to stop but is having a really hard time, she even likes that nasty tasting stuff I paint on her nail. Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance
Sarah
Mom of "Butt" toothed child :)
Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SFairbanks
I have seen a thing that goes on childrens thumb and wraps around the wrist to stay on and it helps children stop sucking their thumb. Does anyone have a pattern or know where I can get one? My 7 yo daughter has finally agreed that she has "butt" (buck) teeth, and wants to stop but is having a really hard time, she even likes that nasty tasting stuff I paint on her nail. Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance
Sarah
Mom of "Butt" toothed child :)
Hang it up. As a former thumb sucker, she isn't going to stop until she's ready. It's a security thing. And yes, I had teeth that stuck almost straight out. Thank god for braces. But NOTHING stopped me until I was ready. It was, like I said, a security/self comforting thing. And no way I would have worn something. How humiliating to a child who is already so stressed she still needs her thumb. Just my personal opinion. That and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee!

I just reread your post more carefully (sowwy) and googled and found this:

http://endthumbsucking.com/

It's just a glove with all the fingers cut out except the thumb.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:10 AM

I sucked my thumb until I was 16, then bit my nails and then took up smoking!! I sure wish I still sucked my thumb!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM

I was never a thumb sucker and none of my children were. I encouraged my children, if their babies showed a thumb sucking tendency to encourage a pacifier. Pacifier habits are sooo much easier to break than a thumb.. I mean the thumb goes everywhere the kid does... so far.. the pacifiers have worked and were stopped easily and painlessly...
The fact that she reconizes she is doing it and wants to stop... will make great strides. Good luck. Haven't no experience in thumb sucking, I had never heard of this " glove"... curious minds have to read now...
Old 05-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

My DD sucked her thumb and by first grade hadn't stopped. The teacher told me most do when the other kids laughed at them for thumb sucking. Well she was getting laughed at and still not stopping. So off to the Dr. we went for help. First thing was to determine if it was a habit or emotional. Habits can be broken the other is much more complicated. For what it's worth we were told after evaluation testing: (condensed version) If the child doesn't care which thumb is sucked, it's a habit. If the child only sucks one thumb and won't suck the other one, it is a problem going deeper then just thumb sucking.
Our DD didn't care which thumb she sucked so it was okay to insist she break the habit If it wasn't a habit it had to be solved very differently to find the root of the problem.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Here's a website that seems to have good information. This doctor recommends starting with tape wrapped around the thumb, with the child using the tape herself.

http://library.thinkquest.org/5029/ecsuck.htm
Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 AM

I admire you for helping your DD. Your encouraging support will make a difference.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

I hope your daughter is able to quit. People don't realize how hard it can be.
I sucked my thumb until I don't know how old I was. I was extremely lucky in that my teeth are straight and it didn't affect them.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

I thought that was an old wives tale. I sucked my thumb for a long time and my teeth have always been straight. I even had bumps on my thumbs but they went away.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:32 AM

Pamela Marshalla (a speech pathologist) wrote an excellent book on ending thumb sucking. It is not that expensive and give you step by step directions on how to stop thumb sucking. If you want the book and can't locate the book, pm me and I will find it for you.