Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need refrigerator opinions please

Need refrigerator opinions please

Looks like we'll be heading out tomorrow morning for a new refrigerator. Wondering if anyone has purchased a French Door model and if you like it. Any opinions on French Door vs. standard side-by-side. Many thanks for your input!

When we moved into our new house, we purchased the appliances that the previous owners had installed. My 'new' fridge is a Maytag - with a 'deli' drawer. I ***love*** it! The top is fridge, the deli drawer I mostly keep veggies in, and there is a freezer on the bottom. It's like this Whirlpool ...
    http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/js...ump&navCount=3

Nothing falls behind an icemaker and the doors open widely enough that you can get at items at the back of the shelves.

I had no idea you could get a fridge like this!

Good luck with your search
    Linda
    http://quiltingbiker.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I have one simulair to LindaM's and I love it. I wanted the freezer on the bottom because i was tired of bending over to get something out of refrigerator which I am in more often then the freezer. I wasnt looking for French doors but I really do like having them.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    i don't have one like this yet... but it is the kind i want when i get a new fridge.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I love my french door fridge. The fridge part is what you use most frequently and that is on the top so no bending over. The freezer is on the bottom and operates like a drawer so very easy to see what is in there. The freezer and fridge are both wide enough to accommodate pizza boxes and such. With a side by side which I have also had you have things at the bottom of the fridge and freezer you stand on your head to see and sometimes the freezer side especially is too narrow for some things. French door is the way to go.

I am on my second French door Refrigerator. Second because the first one I guess didn't work correctly from the start and we didn't know it. It was a Samsung....DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND. I was getting water and ice under the crisper drawers and wrote to them a number of times and they never did tell me it was broken.......So pay a little more if you have to but don't buy this brand. The repair guy we had come in said they were not good and it would have cost us more to fix it then it was worth. We now have a new LG and I LOVE IT. Good Luck

You couldn't pay me to take a side by side but the french doors seem really nice. I bought a new fridge last year. I desperately wanted the bottom freezer and I love it. I opted for a regular door for the simple reason that I could store more in a regular door than in the french doors - like big milk cartons, etc. - it just seemed like there was a little more storage space.
    If you get a bottom freezer you will not have as much freezer space as a conventional top freezer so pay attention to how it is laid out. It took me awhile to figure out the optimal use of it.
    Pat

As you may have read so far, only good things to say about French Door fridge. I have one & it is the best. Everything of every size fits. Convenient & the model to buy!

When my refrigerator dies, it will be replaced by an all-refrigerator refrigerator. There will be no freezer, we will purchase a small freezer to go in the laundry room which is about 20 steps away. I always have more need for refrigerator space than freezer space. Ice will be handled by a small ice- maker in the kitchen.
    i do not have the room in my kitchen refrigerator slot for a French door style, and I can't re- model. All 3 items purchased new will still not cost what a French door style will.

I've had both...in my opinion the side by side refrigerator wasn't wide enough to place a large platter in, I do love my french doors. The bottom freezer is great, easy to access any frozen food. My is a Samsung and even though I've only had it for 5 years, it hasn't given me any trouble. My vote is for french doors
    Pat

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I so agree. I have side by side and will not have another. I would love to make pizzas to freeze for later and the freezer side is not big enough. And let's face it, if it's on the bottom you don't look down much. Well we don't. I don't care about the water dispenser. I buy bottled. Our water from the tap tastes like crap anyway. If I can't get a French door, then I'll just get a regular large fridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by SewSassy View Post
    I've had both...in my opinion the side by side refrigerator wasn't wide enough to place a large platter in, I do love my french doors. The bottom freezer is great, easy to access any frozen food. My is a Samsung and even though I've only had it for 5 years, it hasn't given me any trouble. My vote is for french doors

Blog Entries
    I noticed when shopping that some of the doors must be opened on the right side first and then the left due to a flange that closes in between the doors. I finally ended up with one door on top and freezer on bottom.

Ziegamomma, I bought an all fridge type a couple of years ago. When I bought this house I live in now I did buy the french style for the kitchen and moved the old one down to the basement for extra storage. I also purchased a new freezer that can be either a freezer or fridge. When the old fridge died when we had a power surge I decided to buy another fridge/freezer again but made it into just a fridge. I keep all my old bread for the birds in it along with dry pasta, sugar, flour and baking chips. As I came from Florida I found that anything with flour in it such as pasta, cake mixes, etc. tend to have bug eggs in them so in time with the humidity and heat, they would hatch. Freezing or refridgation seemed to kill the eggs so when I moved up here, I just continued to do the same though Iowa doesn't seem to have the same problems. Also by buying the same model, if my freezer dies in the future, I can always change out the fridge one to freezer.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
    Looks like we'll be heading out tomorrow morning for a new refrigerator. Wondering if anyone has purchased a French Door model and if you like it. Any opinions on French Door vs. standard side-by-side. Many thanks for your input!
    We have a Samsung - have had Samsungs for 3 years and love them. It's the French door with another drawer under it and then the freezer under that. I LOVE the 3rd fridge drawer for dairy/cheese/deli meats. You can get what you want quickly without having to open the big doors. Best of luck in your hunt. It can be daunting!

We have an LG french door - it is very light and bright inside. I like it. I opted for no water or ice on the door since neither Mr. Stitchnripper or I are big ice or water drinkers. The ice maker inside the freezer works fine. And, when I am at each of my sons' houses with that on the door, I always make a big mess. I have enough room for all sizes of things. I played around with the shelf arrangement in the beginning. I am happy with the freezer - it holds all we need it to, although I think it is less than the one with the freezer on top that we replaced. I would get this one again, if that became necessary.
    Alyce

We have this Samsung also and love it...with the exception of the way it delivers the ice. It tends to back up into the refrigerator once in a while. Been this way since day one. Other than that it's a keeper.

I too love the french door refrig. The side by sides I've seen have awkward freezer space. My only issue with mine is the freezer that pulls out on the bottom. It's easy to have stuff stacked up in there and lose track of what's in there.
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by winky11 View Post
    I am on my second French door Refrigerator. Second because the first one I guess didn't work correctly from the start and we didn't know it. It was a Samsung....DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND. I was getting water and ice under the crisper drawers
    I love french door 'fridges - ours is a Whirlpool and is about 4-1/2 years old and we're having a similar problem, except it's collecting under the freezer drawer in ours. DH went online and thought he found a solution, replaced some drain part on the back but it didn't work so he's going to have to call a repair man and figure it out. Aside from that, it's a great 'fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I noticed when shopping that some of the doors must be opened on the right side first and then the left due to a flange that closes in between the doors. I finally ended up with one door on top and freezer on bottom.
    Mine has a flange attached to the left door, but it automatically retracts and extends, so I can open either side. The top of the flange has a little peg that slides into a channel on the body of the 'fridge that makes the flange flip out or flip in as the door is closed or opened; it's not something motorized (so it shouldn't break!)

It's nice because the doors are short; when we are putting groceries away it's easier to get to things. Our kitchen is set up so that if the 'fridge had one big door that was open, it'd block the pantry. With the short doors, we can reach around them to put things away.

Quote Originally Posted by zennia View Post
    I have one similar to LindaM's and I love it. I wanted the freezer on the bottom because i was tired of bending over to get something out of refrigerator which I am in more often then the freezer. I wasn't looking for French doors but I really do like having them.
    I always wanted to have the fridge on top and freezer on the bottom but never had the room in my home for one that large.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I'm probably to late I'd like to share my experience. We rented a house for a week for a family get together. It had a French door fridge and I hated it.

The doors cannot be opened and closed independently. You MUST open (or close) one door before the other (forget which one) That meant if you wanted something from one side, you had to open both doors if it was the "wrong" side. Hope this makes sense.

There was a problem with the freezer drawer, too. It was very difficult to close all the way. I was always finding it just a little ways open. Had to practically kick it to make sure it was closed.

Good luck with your fridge shopping.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

We just got a French door refrigerator, and I love love it. The lights are wonderful and the room inside is wonderful. We had a side by side before and many times couldn't get items into the freezer-too wide. When I took the old fridge apart to clean it, I could never get all the pieces back in. The drawers did work smoothly and the ice maker was very hard to clean.
    The new fridge is great--the freezer might be a tad smaller, but is easy to load and to see what is in there. I could just stand there and look at it all day because it is so beautiful. Another thing, my electric bill was lower than with the old one. I think it is going to be a money saver on top of everything. Oh, the flange between the doors operates no matter which door you close first. Probably the flange was broken on Grandma Nancy's fridge. Or maybe it wasn't level.
    Sue

So, LavendarBlue, did you purchase a French door fridge after all these rave reviews?

We LOVE ours. Absolutely the best ever. It's an LG. ONly thing I would change would be to have one that makes crushed ice as well as cubed. I was so infatuated when shopping that I overlooked that "minor" detail that isn't so minor to me, as I love crushed ice. Oh, well. "First world problems," right? We are so blessed to have refrigeration, and spoiled rotten to have all these luxuries!

Quote Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
    The doors cannot be opened and closed independently. You MUST open (or close) one door before the other (forget which one) That meant if you wanted something from one side, you had to open both doors if it was the "wrong" side. Hope this makes sense.
    Not all of them are like that. Mine you can open either door by itself, and if you have both open you can close either door first. There is a flange connected to the left door, but it's hinged so it allows both doors to operate independently of each other.

to the OP ... put me in the category of Love my French Doors with the bottom freezer. It's my first and I'm convinced.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Refrigerator (one door) on top; freezer (drawer NOT door) on bottom. Didn't have width room for double refrig. doors and the more I hear or read I'm lucky to have what I have. I like it.

However, with the energy efficiency, there's more insulation and less room for the refrig. and freezer spaces inside, so that the appliance can fit into the old space (can't remodel, either).

Check out as many brands as possible... I bought a Maytag...highly over-rated!!! Sadly, they just don't make them (most brands) like they used to!
    cpfrog - "Those who sew together, grow together." - Amy Dickinson

Bottom freezer with french door is a million times better than a side by side! Side by side you have limited space for items in the fridge part - much too narrow if you ever need to store a large pan of something like pasta, or even a big watermelon before cutting. We actually bought another refridgerator to keep in the garage for occasions where we NEED the wider fridge space.

Also, to me it seems that the bottom freezer (pull out drawer!) seems to store more frozen food and it's less hassle to get to the food.

If you get an icemaker, it will take up some of the door space, but it's worth it.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast