Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need some Science Fair help! >

Need some Science Fair help!

Need some Science Fair help!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Have been the parent, the science teacher and a science fair judge. The end product is also important: the board layout, title, colors, pictures (very important), and readable papers. I really enjoyed the judging. You knew after a few questions who did most of the projects, and what students were very knowledgable and enthusiastic about their subject.
Mary Ellen
Old 11-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
What would you weight the tadpole/frogs on?

How would one weigh them with ordinary household scales?
Maybe, you could use a postage scale. I have a little one that goes up to a pound.......
Old 11-05-2009, 01:24 AM

A diet/food scale would also work. Especially one that's digital.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:33 AM

Skeat, if you and your daughter get water from different municipalities, you should be able to get a report from each one that tells what's in the water. I'm pretty sure the EPA requires an annual report from every municipality in the country and they have to be made available to the public.

The reports have to list the breakdown of everything in the water. For example, I find it interesting that our water contains a LOT of arsenic. It's slightly below the maximum amount allowed by the EPA and our water superintendent insists it's not dangerous, but one wonders. The arsenic basically comes from only one of the wells supplying our town; when our water plant was enlarged and improved none of the engineers could figure out why only one of the wells was affected.

The report has a name, but I can't think of it. If you go that route, I'll try to find out for you.

Sandy
Old 11-05-2009, 02:07 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Can't really help with the project but I DO know what frogs drink (according to Joey).......

Croak-a-cola! :mrgreen:
Old 11-05-2009, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by Skeat
You guys are such a great BIG help!! I think this is cruel to parents!!And, so glad I am not the only secret detesting science fair parent!
I will probably be soundly booed for saying this, but it is your kid's project and not yours. If you hate science fair projects, then make her do it herself.

Have to say we were never required to do science fair projects when I was a kid. There was a science fair every year, but it was more of an extracurricular thing that only the science geeks did.

That would be great if she could! What is it a kid can do for themselves and not to be made to look a fool?? I'm trying to keep it practical and not expensive...and, she will be doing the work...you will not see me weighing a slimy toad on a scale! And, as a mom, I have to say I have secretly detested many of these types of projects...espec cake decorating in 4H...but, that is what mom's are supp to do I think. :) Be there to help! I do feel so sorry for the kids that have NO help at home and I am sure this year there will be many...it is too sad! You all are full of great ideas!! She is already starting her little 3 ring binder from printing off some of the sites suggested here...
Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by emmy
Have been the parent, the science teacher and a science fair judge. The end product is also important: the board layout, title, colors, pictures (very important), and readable papers. I really enjoyed the judging. You knew after a few questions who did most of the projects, and what students were very knowledgable and enthusiastic about their subject.
Mary Ellen
Good points on the visuals:)And, yes, we have had the same experiences in 4H projects:)
Old 11-07-2009, 06:40 AM

Before you get too involved, make sure it is ok to use living creatures. Our district does not allow any project that uses living things, regardless of the outcome. And I am a special ed teacher who also hates science fair projects. I have to help my students find something they can do and understand that does not require any parental help because many of my parents only speak Spanish and do not have a clue about what is going on.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:42 AM

Your not a bad mom..Been there and done that. Now you said your daughter wants to buy the tadpole. Is it one of those kits like the butterfly house? My daughter was going to buy the tadpole kit for her kids also thinking afterward release the frog, she discovered it was a tropical frog and couldn't be put into the wild. Please check that out before buying the kit. Or wait until spring and take some from your own neighborhood. I remember my daughter using earth worms as one of her projects one year. Good luck. I'm now helping my grandkids with their projects.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Joan
Maybe, you could use a postage scale. I have a little one that goes up to a pound.......
That' would be one big tadpole. lol