Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Needle puller

Needle puller

What's your favorite? I saw the Dritz silicone needle puller. Anyone tried these?
    I don't hand quilt but once in a while if I'm doing some hand sewing and I need
    to pull the needle and it's hard to grab.
    Last edited by EasyPeezy; 09-16-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I have them and have used occasionally with success.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I usually use a rubber finger tip purchased from the office supply store. I bought a box of 12 years ago and still have a number of them left. If the needle is really stubborn I might have to resort to my baby pliers.

dd
    Like NJ Quilter I keep a rubber finger on my 1st finger to help pull the needle through when hand quilting. I have also used that wide rubber band like comes on broccoli. I was knotting a quilt a couple weeks ago and the needle just wouldn't go through the fabric. I covered my needle nose pliers with duct tape, so it didn't mark the needle, and pulled the needle through with them.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    Like NJ Quilter I keep a rubber finger on my 1st finger to help pull the needle through when hand quilting. I have also used that wide rubber band like comes on broccoli. I was knotting a quilt a couple weeks ago and the needle just wouldn't go through the fabric. I covered my needle nose pliers with duct tape, so it didn't mark the needle, and pulled the needle through with them.
    Yes - I covered the tips of my pliers prior to use as well. Had a paper tape that after a bit embedded itself in the grooves so no has a smooth but grippy surface on the inside and no damage to the needle.

I use finger cots all the time. I can hardly pull a needle through without one, even when I am sewing down binding, or hand piecing. I order them on ebay. Between 2 and5 dollars for a 100 or so.

Use finger from a pair of rubber gloves. You can buy boxes of 50 at many stores and pharmacys and they are priced right.

I recycle used rubber gloves used for cleaning. Usually the cuff portion of the glove is still pristine so I cut it up into handy little pieces and use that as a needle puller.

Ha. Never thought of finger cots and I don't even need to buy them.
    Thanks. You are the best.

A hemostat works well on most any thing that needs a good pull. Even a thread that is stuck somewhere you can't reach.

Blog Entries
    I have a needle puller, but it was not made by Dritz. It fits on two fingers and has a push down lever that grips the needle by the point to pull it through. I love it and use it often.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

To the great amusement of my new quilting students, I used to give them a fingercot or two to introduce them to some notions they might want to purchase.