Neighbor with beehive?!!?!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by bodie358
Originally Posted by Peckish
Good grief. I SAID I WOULD GO TRY TO TALK TO THEM ALREADY. Stop condemning me for something I haven't even done, okay???

You have misunderstood my "why" question, which hasn't really been answered yet. When I asked why everyone here has their panties in a wad about me going to the county, I meant, WHAT COULD THE COUNTY POSSIBLY DO TO THEM THAT IS SO BAD. It's not like they're going to be hauled off to jail, is it? Or seize the property? Remove their children from their home? Burn it down? It's becoming quite obvious to me I've had WAY less interactions with my local government than the rest of you. Quit dog piling on me. Is it not the code enforcement officer's JOB to inform citizens what they can and cannot do in a community, especially when they have people on staff who are paid to interpret?
Wow. You posted something on a public forum where people customarily make comments. Just because you don't agree with someones reply does not mean that they are jumping all over you. Seems to me that you were just fishing for people to back up your proposed plan of action.
I understand everyone's point that being a good neighbor means trying to work it out between yourselves first to avoid bringing unforeseen penalties on someone. But consider that there is a language barrier, they are not currently acquainted and on friendly terms, and her husband has a life-threatening allergy to bees! I think if she doesn't feel comfortable/able to communicate with them directly, she's entitled to go the route of contacting the county. That's what it's there for.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
How about walking over there and just ask?
This would be the best way to find out what it is .It looks alot like my thread storage drawers
Old 08-26-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
are you the same neighbor that turned us in for growing vegetables in our front yard? ;-)
Maybe the same one who called the police because my neighbor didn't take her Christmas lights down. froggyintexas
Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchit123
Originally Posted by bearisgray
How about walking over there and just ask?
This would be the best way to find out what it is .It looks alot like my thread storage drawers
When I asked the question - I did not know about the language barrier -

Again - it is unwise to make assumptions - as I did in this case.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 AM

I stepped onto my deck this morning and saw this in my neighbor's back yard. Is it just me, or do those look like beehive boxes?? I sure hope my neighbor is NOT getting bees. I am not in the country, this is a neighborhood filled with children. My husband is EXTREMELY allergic to bee stings.

Sigh. I guess I'd better get on the phone to the county.
I kept bees in my backyard, in a neighborhood in a medium sized city for years, and no one except me ever got stung. My neighbors enjoyed the bee cycles and the jars of honey. Those don't look like bee boxes to me, but maybe they've changed the way they look.

In any case, involving law enforcement or code enforcement before you talk with your neighbors is a bad idea, not only for them, but also for you. Remember the story of the little boy who cried "Wolf." froggyintexas
Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Hi---
These are standard honeybee hives you can get from any beekeeping supply and around since the mid 1800's. These bees are very gentle unlike wasps, hornets, and such. I hope you can find a solution with your neighbor and you might want to google more on honeybees and beekeeping as it really is fascinating.
Good Luck and Regards
Jon
I don't have any problem with bees. However, my husband is extremely allergic; the doctor said he'd never seen a reaction so bad and the next sting would probably kill him. We have medication for that if it happens, but I know I'd rather not take the chance. The bees may be gentle, but my husband is irreplaceable and bees will protect their hive. Those boxes are 5 feet from the fence, and we still need to mow and use the weedeater - not to mention using the pool. My husband will never step foot in our back yard again, and eventually selling this house with a beehive in full view will be difficult.

I simply think there are more appropriate locations for a beehive.
Your husband can take venom shots which will lessen the effect of the sting and may prevent further allergic reactions all together. I took the shots for 5 years. Now, as long as I get the meds I need within 30minutes, I don't go into anaphylatic shock. My allergies are so bad that I have a Service Dog that alerts me to things in my environment that could cause a reaction.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 AM

I have called the codes officer to deal with a neighbors overgrown shrubs blocking the alley we need to use to get out of our garage & one that many others use as well. It's their job, not mine, to see that this is dealt with. Came to find out the house is being rented & renter is not responsible. The "owner/landlord" has been notified twice for this issue. Once when he had the house up for sale & just last week. He lets things go until he's forced to deal with it.

Speaking to even friendly neighbors isn't always easy. My husband asked (nicely) a neighbor across the street to turn down his garage(back of their lot) radio that was so loud we could hear every word from the radio announcer, not to mention the blaring music in our house with doors/windows shut! Sitting outside on our porch was like being at a rock concert. Neighbor got majorly pissed & stopped speaking to us.

Since you have a language issue & are not on speaking terms & past situations (aka the cat dirt) I would contact codes officer & tell them your situation. Explain your husbands allergy problem & that you don't know for sure & don't want to get them in trouble & perhaps they have no idea of the laws.

You'd be surprised how many people have no idea of codes. Not all towns have written codes you can go pick up. Ours doesn't. If we want to know we have to call the codes officer.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 AM

I stepped onto my deck this morning and saw this in my neighbor's back yard. Is it just me, or do those look like beehive boxes?? I sure hope my neighbor is NOT getting bees. I am not in the country, this is a neighborhood filled with children. My husband is EXTREMELY allergic to bee stings.

Sigh. I guess I'd better get on the phone to the county.
I would think that the hives would be built first. Don't see any. Ask please.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 AM

I used to work at a nursing home across the street from a house that had bee hives. The bees were never a problem. We had outdoor festivals , grill outs etc.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:23 AM

wow....hard to believe this topic hasn't gone to the "topic not found" sinkhole....