Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gave my neighbor the baby quilt yesterday

I didn't take a picture of the finished quilt, I was in a hurry to take it across the street. It's tied with blue yarn that matches the blue in the quilt and has a blue ticking flannel back.

I walked it across the street and she was in the open garage with her husband. I handed her the quilt and I said I made it for the baby (she had a boy a little over a month ago). She doesn't speak English very well so don't know if she understood me.

She takes the folded quilt, doesn't even look at it, goes to the door of the house and has her teenage daughter come out with the baby (leaving the quilt in the house still not looked at). I admired the baby and talked to her through her daughter.

I know she wanted to show off her beautiful baby boy but a thank you for the quilt would have been nice.

I'm hoping she didn't understand, but it would be sad for you to have put all that work into a quilt and have her just pass it off like that.

Some people are just ignorant. I guess it's possible that she didn't understand. You did the right thing by making such a generous gift. Don't feel that you need to do anything more for her.

Don't you just hate it when something like that happens. :)
    It just puzzles you to no end.
    I am sure it was a beautful quilt, and I am sure it was just a "cultural" thing where maybe she just did not understand you or she didn't know how to react.

I did it mainly because she, or her kids, would pick up delivered packages that were left on my porch because she twice saw some neighborhood kids (ones that don't live right here anyway) messing with a package on my porch.

I appreciate her watching out for me. I did have one Christmas gift that I ordered for my daughter go missing and it was delivered.

I feel my debt to her for helping me out has been satisfied. I did love doing it. I cut out squares of all the fabric to make two quilts, the other is for my new grandson. My daughter will be here on May 8th from Washington so maybe I can get it done by then to give to her.

Now if SHE does something like that I will smack her upside the head with the quilt!!! :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Hoping for the best here......... Maybe (?) that was her way of thanking you. Let's hope!

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam

Now if SHE does something like that I will smack her upside the head with the quilt!!! :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
    I'm right with you there! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry your quilt was received in this manner. I'm sure that the baby will enjoy his new quilt :D

I will say thankyou for HER. Maybe she truly did not know how to say thanks. When she finally looks and maybe realizes that you made it for her baby she will thank you properly. Till then you are one of the true blesssed people who pass it forward. Job well done.

ugh!
    I had a similiar situation happen the other day at church. I made 2 receiving blankets for a lady in my SS class--custom embroidered with her baby's name and bday on it. she didn't even open it! I was hoping once she got home and realized what it was I would get an email thank you, but no such luck.
    with your situation it may well have been a cultural issue, but with mine it wasn't.
    I hope when I received baby gifts a few years ago I was more gracious! I tried to keep meticulous records to send thank you cards, etc.
    oh well, her lack of gratitude doesn't make me look bad, only her.
    Rose Hall

Is it possible that she is not familiar with quilting and the work that goes into making a quilt? Some people don't sew and don't have a clue what goes into making something. I am sure the quilt is appreciated and will be well used by the baby.

She didn't look at it so I don't think she knew it was hand made. Her daughter probably wouldn't know either.

I do just hope it gets used well. It is so soft with the flannel.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry Pam - but I'm sure the baby will love it and be snuggly and warm. I'm giving my neighbour a lap quilt I've made her tomorrrow and am dreading a similar reaction! She's not very demonstrative. It's not that we want effusive thanks, that's not why we make stuff for people, but a little glimmer of appreciation at least makes us feel our work will be put to good use and not stuffed in a cupboard! I feel for you. But don't let it put you off doing stuff for others in future; hey, if you sent ME one of your quilts - the feathered star, just for example, you would get sick of hearing MY appreciation!!!! :wink:

K x

I'm sure baby will treasure that quilt more than you will ever know. I bet he drags it around until first grade! You made a wonderful gesture and it's so true that not many people realize how much heart and soul we put into our sewing projects. Just know that your creation is appreciated. So make more, okay?

lol... thanks. You'd have to take it up with my daughter about the star quilt. :wink: I told her how much I appreciated all the kind words about it on this board and she, the kind and loving person she is, said I didn't have to give it to her if I wanted to keep it.

I told her it was hers but I MAY want to enter it in the fair or something.

I hope your neighbor really likes the quilt. No, it's not done for effusinve thanks but, like any gift we have worked hard over, a thank you is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    I'm sure baby will treasure that quilt more than you will ever know. I bet he drags it around until first grade! You made a wonderful gesture and it's so true that not many people realize how much heart and soul we put into our sewing projects. Just know that your creation is appreciated. So make more, okay?
    Oh, it won't stop me from making more. This is one family that may really need it. Her husband is back but he had left them for a bit and she asked my daughter for $20 to go grocery shopping. She had applied for assistance but when the welfare woman came to the house and saw the nice house she was living in, she TOOK the foodstamps.

Unbelievable. She had 4 kids and another on the way at the time and no food in the house. When my daughter told me I gave her $100 to give to her for groceries.

I really do hope it is used and dragged around.

I think it was so beautiful that she thought you bought it!! She should of at least said thank you. Maybe the daughter will be by with a thank you.
    I thank you for being so generous,kind, and a good neighbor.

simple quilter

probably just a misuderstanding. i made two quilts for others never a thank you even but i still had fun making them, just wish i knew if they were being used :(

I think it was just a misunderstanding. I'm sure it will be used quite a bit. I know it hurts to not get a thank you, but I'm sure she went inside later, looked at it and thinks it is just a great quilt for baby.
    I have given many quilts and have gotten ... it's pretty and then the quilt is tossed to the side. Others weren't even looked at when they were received, but later on, have gotten thank yous for them.

I felt a little bit that way about the one I gave to my brother recently. He seemed bemused at the time and didn't know what to say. When I talked to him on the phone a few days ago he said the quilt was great and everyone who sees it says it's wonderful. I'm sure he could hear the smile in my voice when I said I was glad that he liked it. He said he did! It's hand made! (ummm... he didn't know that?!? :lol: )

Anyway, it made me feel good.

Blog Entries
    I had a similiar experience, made two rag quilts for a "friend" having twins, went to the shower, no-one spoke to me, they could speak English just chose not to, I left early and never received a Thank You. And I have seen the boys several times and to date as far as I know she has never used the quilts.... Oh well her loss.. I still make quilts and blankets, some people love them , others just think oh well. It just goes with the territory. Keep your chin up , I do :lol:
    Sharon

Oh dear, i'm sure it must have been a mis-understanding, i'm sure she must love the care you put into making it :)

Do you think she was embarrassed?
    I mean, you have helped her out a few times and maybe, just maybe...
    I found out this holiday season that most people are embarassed about receiving a handmade gift. I embroidered several t shirts, dish towels and such and I know they turned out nice but never received a thank you...
    I won't do that again...
    But however, most people I give a quilt to are rolling over backwards expressing their gratitude!
    K

Blog Entries
    Pam, sorry that she didn't thank you, but I too think it must have been a misunderstanding. With the cultural difference...do you think she may have even though it was just an 'ole hand me down! Your work is so gorgeous, she probably thought it was "store bought" and still in such good shape that you just gave it to her :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
    Is it possible that she is not familiar with quilting and the work that goes into making a quilt? Some people don't sew and don't have a clue what goes into making something. I am sure the quilt is appreciated and will be well used by the baby.
    Wise words Shadow. I think it may be a combination of what Shadow said, as well as your message maybe getting lost in translation.

You should be proud of yourself! You did a really nice thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast