Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gave my neighbor the baby quilt yesterday

I think I know how you feel. I made large quilts for my son and his wife and my grandson for Christmas 2008, and have yet to get a thank you. My daughter and her husband and my other grandson are still thanking me and sending pictures of them using the quilts. It really hurt that my son and his wife couldn't say thanks. Makes me sad! So, I know how you feel. Hopefully the lady will realize that you did a good thing for her and you are a special lady.
    Don't let this experience spoil your heart of gold.
    Have a great day!

I'll just consider it a miscommunication and hope that it's well used.

Sorry that others have not said thank you when they should clearly know better.

Made me smile yesterday when I talked to my eldest daughter and she told me when she opened the picture I sent of the partially done basekt quilt she yelled, "My quilt!!" and startled her fiance. Some things make up for others and it all works out.

I make baby quilts for all the young people at my work when they have babies. The last one I made I never got a little note or thank you. I really enjoy it when then send little notes with a picture of the baby though! I hope your neighbor just hadn't taken the time to look at the quilt and when she does she will appreciate it and in some way let you know.

I made a baby quilt for one of my husband's coworkers. He and his wife was having their first baby. When Rich gave the quilt to the young man.....he was speechless. He told Rich the next day that his wife loved the quilt that I had made for them. She sent me a Thank You note and later a photo of their new baby girl.

On the other hand I made a quilt for my nephew and his wife's new baby. I made it over a year ago.......I have never received a Thank you or a photo of my Grand-niece with her quilt.

I feel the sting in this for you. I have experienced something similar and I agree with much of what has been said here. As for me, I have learned to be careful about giving too much of myself. ( I love to give and have had to dial it back in the last few years.) I, as all of you, put my heart and soul into my quilting and it feels like a "gut punch" when these things happen, especially when they concern family members. I have become more discerning and even seemingly "stingy" about who I will quilt for. I guess we all have lessons to learn about our journey with Arts and self-expression. That's what life is all about, right. (Also, I am not implying that you gave too much! This was just my philosiphizing!) Thank you for bringing this subject to the forum. I think I needed to know other people have similar situations.

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    So sorry that you had this happened to you. It is dissappointing to say the least. I had the same thing happened to me. But all that said and done I agree with Shadow Dancer. Most people do not have a clue the caring, time and not at least the money that goes into a hand made quilt. I have learned to give my quilts with love and not let it bother me if it is not recieved the way it should have been. Chin up, keep paying forward, as was said earlier.
    Penny

So sorry that you had this happened to you. It is dissappointing to say the least. I had the same thing happened to me. But all that said and done I agree with Shadow Dancer. Most people do not have a clue the caring, time and not at least the money that goes into a hand made quilt. I have learned to give my quilts with love and not let it bother me if it is not recieved the way it should have been. Chin up, keep paying forward, as was said earlier.
    Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I agree with Shadow. I have two DILs from other countries and neither of them were familiar with quilting and the work and craftmanship that goes into them. I am sure the baby will love the quilt and it was a very nice thing to do!
    Early in our marriage, my husband taught me something very special about giving. Give because that is what YOU want to do, irrespective of what happens next.
    I don't think there is a quilter or handcrafter I have ever met that didn't love what they did and were eager to share the product, the process, the dreams. It is nice when someone gets excited about what you have done, but honestly - - you would have loved making that quilt just because you like quilting.
    Know this - - your gift is never wasted. You may not ever get the response you were hoping for, and your abilities may never be recognized by the first recipient, but many people witnessed your giving, and will come in contact with that labor of love, and someday, somewhere, someone is going to know and understand that someone, at a point of time, thought enough of someone else to make a special gift. Your giving will not be in vain ... the blessings you wanted to express will continue long after the quilt left your hands, and you may never know what your thoughtfulness accomplished. But, there is Someone who does, and His opinion is better than all the thank yous that you will ever receive.

Thank you for the message. I did love doing it. I used a little higher loft batting and the flannel is so soft, I just love it.

That it is used and enjoyed is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    Thank you for the message. I did love doing it. I used a little higher loft batting and the flannel is so soft, I just love it.

That it is used and enjoyed is enough.
    Good woman!

I too, hope she didn't understand, but even then, I would think a person would want to look at the gift, understanding english or not. It's too bad, she didn't even thank you for your time and consideration.

hey, if you sent ME one of your quilts - the feathered star, just for example, you would get sick of hearing MY appreciation!!!! :wink:

K
    That's because you Know how much time goes into a quilt K :lol: Perhaps that woman thought you came over just to see the baby and never thought to look at what you handed her. You know how proud parents are :roll:

Last week end was my daughter's shower. I made 7 table runners for the "big"prizes. I wanted to see the reactions of those who won them. The best reaction was my sister- she says- well, it's about time I got something you made. Then a call later to say thank you and how she has it on her dining room table and she loves it. A few (including my step daughter) didn't even look in the bag or comment later.

My future DIL pulled hers out and said- I wonder how you knew I love tropical stuff. Winks at me and says guess where you'll see this. She loves all things quilted and is always willing to take my projects home. She is the owner of the ugly quilt, she uses it everyday on the bed.

I enjoyed making them. and after 8 of them, I finally made 1 for me! After 5 years I have something I quilted.

So, I guess it's all in who's receiving it- maybe they were never exposed to the fine art of quilting and the love that goes into our little treasures.

I know one thing Pam- you do AWESOME work! Anyone that ever receives one of your quilts is very very lucky!

The star one is folded up downstairs still waiting for the frame to be free. I ordered about a dozen quilting stencils because I couldn't decide which one.

I know she was very anxious to show me the baby. :-)

Yeah, it all depends on who you give them to. That's a lot of work, 7 table runners!

BarbM:
    So where is the picture of your table runner, Huh? Huh??? You know we love pictures. The heck with people who don't appreciate you work. You love doing it and love giving it and that is enough!!
    :wink:

pittsburgpam:
    There you go, that is the right way to feel. The quilt is beautiful. You know I have found that some people really like something and really did not expect the beautiful and are too insecure to say thank you because they feel overwhelmed by the gift.
    If that is not the case in this case I will say again.... You loved making it and loved giving it and that should be enough.

actually- I just realized the camera is here at work. I'll post a few. I missed one- I made one for FDIL, couldn't figure out how she could win one since I knew 5 of the winners out of 7, I made the runners to match their homes.

Let me download them.........

meant to say "a gift that beautiful and do not know what to say"

BarbM:
    Oh goody, goody I can not wait to see them. I am planning a design now for a table runner for my son and his wife. Glad you were online. Let us know where the pictures will be if not in this thread.

If its a close friend or family member I tell them say thank you and my kids, if they forget I ask them if they forgot to take manners when they left home. The other I just will think a lot less of them :wink:

Do not be concerned in the least if she did not thank you. You do not say what her culture is, but in many cultures saying thank you is just not a part of the way things are done. I worked for many years in a different culture and must admit that it took me awhile to understand that part of the culture. However, she will show her gratitude in other ways I am sure, saying it may not be one of them! In the culture in which I worked, it was taken as a given that if I had something and you did not, I would share what I had with you. I had to learn not to compliment people too much, because in that culture if someone complimented you about something that you had, you would give it to them. Enjoy the diversity and know that she appreciated it even if she says nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2