Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gave my neighbor the baby quilt yesterday >

Gave my neighbor the baby quilt yesterday

Gave my neighbor the baby quilt yesterday

Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

So sorry that you had this happened to you. It is dissappointing to say the least. I had the same thing happened to me. But all that said and done I agree with Shadow Dancer. Most people do not have a clue the caring, time and not at least the money that goes into a hand made quilt. I have learned to give my quilts with love and not let it bother me if it is not recieved the way it should have been. Chin up, keep paying forward, as was said earlier.
Penny
Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM

So sorry that you had this happened to you. It is dissappointing to say the least. I had the same thing happened to me. But all that said and done I agree with Shadow Dancer. Most people do not have a clue the caring, time and not at least the money that goes into a hand made quilt. I have learned to give my quilts with love and not let it bother me if it is not recieved the way it should have been. Chin up, keep paying forward, as was said earlier.
Penny
Old 05-02-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I agree with Shadow. I have two DILs from other countries and neither of them were familiar with quilting and the work and craftmanship that goes into them. I am sure the baby will love the quilt and it was a very nice thing to do!
Early in our marriage, my husband taught me something very special about giving. Give because that is what YOU want to do, irrespective of what happens next.
I don't think there is a quilter or handcrafter I have ever met that didn't love what they did and were eager to share the product, the process, the dreams. It is nice when someone gets excited about what you have done, but honestly - - you would have loved making that quilt just because you like quilting.
Know this - - your gift is never wasted. You may not ever get the response you were hoping for, and your abilities may never be recognized by the first recipient, but many people witnessed your giving, and will come in contact with that labor of love, and someday, somewhere, someone is going to know and understand that someone, at a point of time, thought enough of someone else to make a special gift. Your giving will not be in vain ... the blessings you wanted to express will continue long after the quilt left your hands, and you may never know what your thoughtfulness accomplished. But, there is Someone who does, and His opinion is better than all the thank yous that you will ever receive.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Thank you for the message. I did love doing it. I used a little higher loft batting and the flannel is so soft, I just love it.

That it is used and enjoyed is enough.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Thank you for the message. I did love doing it. I used a little higher loft batting and the flannel is so soft, I just love it.

That it is used and enjoyed is enough.
Good woman!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:02 AM

I too, hope she didn't understand, but even then, I would think a person would want to look at the gift, understanding english or not. It's too bad, she didn't even thank you for your time and consideration.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:14 AM

hey, if you sent ME one of your quilts - the feathered star, just for example, you would get sick of hearing MY appreciation!!!! :wink:

K
That's because you Know how much time goes into a quilt K :lol: Perhaps that woman thought you came over just to see the baby and never thought to look at what you handed her. You know how proud parents are :roll:
Old 05-03-2009, 08:28 AM

Last week end was my daughter's shower. I made 7 table runners for the "big"prizes. I wanted to see the reactions of those who won them. The best reaction was my sister- she says- well, it's about time I got something you made. Then a call later to say thank you and how she has it on her dining room table and she loves it. A few (including my step daughter) didn't even look in the bag or comment later.

My future DIL pulled hers out and said- I wonder how you knew I love tropical stuff. Winks at me and says guess where you'll see this. She loves all things quilted and is always willing to take my projects home. She is the owner of the ugly quilt, she uses it everyday on the bed.

I enjoyed making them. and after 8 of them, I finally made 1 for me! After 5 years I have something I quilted.

So, I guess it's all in who's receiving it- maybe they were never exposed to the fine art of quilting and the love that goes into our little treasures.

I know one thing Pam- you do AWESOME work! Anyone that ever receives one of your quilts is very very lucky!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 AM

The star one is folded up downstairs still waiting for the frame to be free. I ordered about a dozen quilting stencils because I couldn't decide which one.

I know she was very anxious to show me the baby. :-)

Yeah, it all depends on who you give them to. That's a lot of work, 7 table runners!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:07 AM

BarbM:
So where is the picture of your table runner, Huh? Huh??? You know we love pictures. The heck with people who don't appreciate you work. You love doing it and love giving it and that is enough!!
:wink: