Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Never Mind Fabric ....Have You Priced Quilt Notions Lately?

Blog Entries
    Had to buy Olfa 60 mm replacement blades yesterday.Who knew they are $52 plus 7% tax for a 5 pack at Joanns.Big Gulp!!
    Yes, I had a coupon & yes I bit the bullet & got a pk, but gonna change brands/size/something! when they're gone.
    Prices in stores for sewing anything, from fabrics,
    notions etc including magazines/books are simply out of site.They are going higher every day.This is getting ridiculous! Even the clerk said she can no longer afford to sew.

Got my blades on Ebay fora pack of 5 14.99.free shipping......

Blog Entries
    Yikes! I'm glad that I don't change my blades as often as I should...lol

I buy 10 packs of an off brand of blades from my machine dealer - who is conveniently located across the street from my fabric dealer (and he also has thread at great prices - no fabric though). I want to say the last time I bought a 10 pack it was in the $20 range ... perhaps 25? I've had NO problems with them.

I have noticed books going up in price, and luckily the last ruler I bought was on sale at Eleanor Burns store when I went to Paducah ($13 for a 12" square).

Thread too has skyrocketed (cotton prices) and previously I had been collecting thread from different manufacturers when it was on sale and I needed *that* color. Just recently I decided what threads I like and I'm sticking to them. Just found Aurifil on sale at sewezdesigns.com for $7.00 for a large 1300m spool - so I bought 20 spools!!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. I quit using my 60mm because of the price for blades and I miss it. I get blades for my 45mm at Harbor Freights (2 for $1.49). Some folks don't like them but I've not had any problems with them.

Try Amazon.com

I got blades from Harbour Freight. Like them.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I know what you mean. I quit using my 60mm because of the price for blades and I miss it. I get blades for my 45mm at Harbor Freights (2 for $1.49). Some folks don't like them but I've not had any problems with them.
    Me too and Connecting threads has great thread. I am pretty sure it is still on saale 30% off. That makes it $1.74 for a 1200 yd spool!

I paid 2.07 for a small spool of thread at Wal-Mart yesterday.

Banned
    I change mine about once a week. Wrist and shoulder pain are more costly to me they blades. I have taken to sharpening mine. The sharpeners do work - they are not like new but it does really sharpen them. I also changed to 28mm unless cutting more than 6 layers at a time. Easier to hold and blades less expensive. 5 pk = $15.99

Blog Entries
    I bought 10 packs of 2 from Harbor Freight and I love 'em. No problems and I don't hesitate to give one away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva
    I bought 10 packs of 2 from Harbor Freight and I love 'em. No problems and I don't hesitate to give one away.
    Me too and they're only $1.99 for a pack of two!

Blog Entries
    I will have to check at the one here! Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I have had the same blade in my cutter for 18 months ( wrote the date on it) I sharpen it before each daily use. I learned that if I sharpen a sharp blade it never gets dull. I won't use a dull blade or one that skips. I use this sharpener: It works with any type or size rotary blade. When Hancocks Fabrics went out of business here I bought every package I could of the rotary blades at 75% off. I have enough blades to last me for years. When you see a good bargain buy all you can and never have to worry about the price going higher later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmdquilts
    I will have to check at the one here! Thanks!
    They're made for people who install carpet. I ordered mine on line but in store you have to search 'em out.

Banned
    I don't have a harbor freight but a co-worker just mentioned the 5 pack of 60mm is $28 on overstock.com and with shipping one 2.95 thats half Joann's price.

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    Had to buy Olfa 60 mm replacement blades yesterday.Who knew they are $52 plus 7% tax for a 5 pack at Joanns.Big Gulp!!
    Yes, I had a coupon & yes I bit the bullet & got a pk, but gonna change brands/size/something! when they're gone.
    notions etc including magazines/books are simply out of site.They are going higher every day.This is getting ridiculous! Even the clerk said she can no longer afford to sew.
    I bought some at Joanne's and they were $35.99 for the 5 pack.........and had a 50% coupon so I did pretty good.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    wow..I have inventory to get rid of...at about 60% off that price! Just $22 for a 5pack.

I'm originally from Watertown, NY and was visiting my sister, she had to stop at Red Lobster for a GC and I waited in the car. Looking out the window, Whoa, a Harbor Freight store right next door!!!!. I had her go over, went inside, just in the door and an older gentleman asked if he could help me and I said I was looking for carpet blades. He said Oh, the Olfa blade, @ the corner he thought they were out but they had a hanger with @ 10 packs on it. I was like a litte kid in a candy store! I was pulling them off the hanger and a young man came over with an arm load of the blades, restocking, He said "the only people buying these are the ladies that quilt" Yeah!! $1.49 per 2 pack. I grinned all the way home! LOL Barb

You can always look on ebay for the blades or get a rotary sharpener. I once bought a bunch of used blades that had been sharpened and they worked fine but were a bit oily when I got them

Blog Entries
    My opinion is not only is everything we use getting more expensive, but since the manufacters of fabric and notions know we love it and have to have it, they can make more money from us by raising the prices. I've noticed it too. I can't afford the good fabric any more. Have to buy online or use coupons at JOANN's and I've also noticed the affordable stuff must have a thread count of 100 because you can see right through it.
    Sorry, I just had to vent !!

For the rotary blades check on this site: www.lpsharp.com
    I have not used it yet but a friend does and she is pleased. pat

Power Poster
    Thanks for the information - I'll have to check out the blade sharpener - did you get it online or in a quilt/fabric store?

Blog Entries
    I bought mine at a LQS when it first came out. They are cheaper online now.

I get my replacement blades from jhittle, http://www.jhittlesewing.com. They have some terrific prices on the things we all need and they have weekly specials.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast