A new all time LOW

Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 PM

Sorry you did not do better.
Look into some of the great suggestions given here.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:29 AM

That's just awful!
I agree...people aren't buying and what they are spending their money on is junk, in my opinion. They'd rather spend $50 on a piece of crap made in a 3d world country that will fall apart in a year than the same amount on something that will last a lifetime.
I made more last year in 4 hours then I did this year in 6 hours........
Old 12-09-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Sorry you did not do better.
Look into some of the great suggestions given here.
WVDEK - I absolutely love your avatar. It makes me smile every time I see it!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 PM

I have done many church bazars and craft shows, each and every one of them was a waste of time. I find most people do not want to spend the money for quality. I get frustrated by the people that come back hour after hour waiting for you to drop your prices or even give it away for free. Needless to say I do not do church sales anymore.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:00 PM

:-) I don't understand why you cannot take deductions on your taxes. There is a maximum of what you can take, but there is basically no minimum. The catch is that you must keep a record of your deductions indicating the date, who you donated to (some charitable organizations provide a receipt), an acceptable dollar amount, and whether you donate cash or goods. This is available on any 1040 tax return. Indicating cash or check number is also useful for tracking your donations.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:58 PM

I stopped doing craft shows for that very reason, not even making my table fees. I still go to craft shows, but I don't spend the money I used to either!
Old 12-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
Sorry it went so lousy, but you have named some great causes that you can give to.
I am so sorry your results were below your expectations. I have given the craft fairs a few tries and not had good luck either. I think the pendulum will swing again at some point, but the waiting is frustrating. From 1987 to 1999 I was involved in our CA church craft fair where we did better each year, though the new ideas for crafts were getting scarcer and scarcer. I tried on my own here in GA a couple of times in 2005 and 2006 and the results were poor. What I did hit on is a potential idea for sales. My daughter's elementary school always had a Secret Santa Shop. I helped every year and along with the volunteers and staff was always frustrated with the quality of the items being sold. The company operated similar to the school book fair. Sending inventory (you got what they sent) that was sold at their suggested prices with the PTO earning 30%. One year we had a crafter with her wares supplement and her stuff was fantastic. I learned later that the school only earned 10% of her sales ($800 that year) which seemed unfair. (She set up her goods and picked up remaining inventory after the sale with our volunteers staffing the store.) The year I chaired the store I had a $1500 budget to buy at the end of year Christmas sales the previous year (we already knew the concept worked at other local elementary schools). I also ran a mini crafting group of parent volunteers from September to November. We took in $4600 in sales that year, minus the original budget PTO allowed the profit was $3100! We were able to put nearly all of our successful profit into the next year's inventory. I love the idea of making the goods way more than the actual sale for my own profit. The school has continued with our "Secret Santa Shop" concept for the last five years. Our prices range from $6 to 25 cents. So what sells...simple fleece scarfs, angel ornaments, anything marked Mom, Dad, Grandma or Grandpa, pet items, guy and boy stuff and Claire's cr_p (we try to pick it up when it is ten items for $5, though it has been more like ten for $10 in the last couple of years). We didn't sell candy or food items. What didn't sell...teacher gifts because I think parents bought those and the children focused their purchases on immediate family members and grandparent stuff. Another idea is to provide an opportunity for educationally handicapped students (high school age 14-21) to shop. A local warehouse opened their doors seasonally for these student's to shop as part of a holiday field trip that included shopping and simple refreshments. The students in both of these examples come to spend! At the elementary school the children spent between $5-$20 each and the teacher's spent too. Maybe a similar concept would work in your community.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:57 PM

So Sorry.... maybe it was too close to Christmas and everyone had already bought presents. I know the economy is tough, but that might be another reason... I did fairly well with the ones I did in November. Perhaps you should try and earlier one next year.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by MelissaK
So Sorry.... maybe it was too close to Christmas and everyone had already bought presents. I know the economy is tough, but that might be another reason... I did fairly well with the ones I did in November. Perhaps you should try and earlier one next year.
The one I did the best at was in November. My mom thinks we would do better in the spring or summer.
Rose
Old 12-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Banned

i'm sorry. i hope next one will be better