Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
New Hotel Scam going around >

New Hotel Scam going around

New Hotel Scam going around

Old 04-26-2013, 11:34 AM

I worked in the ambrassador hotel as the front desk clerk.. if there was a problem with your card we would of known right away at check in and you wouldn't get in..Also the same card they reserved with over the phone had to be checked also matching up with the id.
We also had to check picture IDS and the card had to be in the right name that was one the ID. I turned quite a few away. especially prom night when they claimed it was moms card. Told them mom would have to come in and sign for them and we could call. It was amazing how fast they left. LOL.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Also, if you are in a hotel and see a flier under your door for a restaurant that will deliver to the hotel, think twice about calling them. You may be giving your CC number to a scammer. Ask the front desk or look in the phone book to find a real restaurant in the area.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Geeze Louise! What next? Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nama View Post
One more precaution. When staying at a hotel/motel where keycards are used, NEVER return the keycard. Take it home with you and shred it, cut it up, or otherwise destroy it. I retired from a government agency, and that was what we were told to do when we traveled. The cards frequently have personal information recorded on them (including credit card info, home address, etc.), and when you turn them back in to the front desk, they are usually tossed into a drawer with all the other returned cards. When re-used, the new information is recorded over your information, and all is fine. The problem is while the card is in that drawer. Anyone with access to the front desk can take a few of those cards and use the recorded information. Yes, they need to know what they are doing, but why take the chance. I have destroyed a couple dozen key cards, and have never been contacted regarding the missing cards.
Serious? i would think the hotel/motel would send you a charge for this...my law-abiding self would have trouble doing as you suggest, but I might just try it...I wondered how those cards worked. Your information is new to me.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:51 PM

The keycards are are almost free to the hotels, and they don't care if you take them home. A general manager at a big hotel told me that there isn't information on the keycards. Her husband is a FBI agent, and he checked into it be-cause he was told there was info on the card. Think how much these scammers could make doing "real" work.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:28 AM

Snopes again to the rescue. They say it is false.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/hotelkey.asp
Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I should have checked Snopes myself.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 AM

Well, I should have checked Snopes too, but this just made me so aware that I wasn't always on my toes when I'm tired. So I hope we all are aware of the dangers of anything out of the ordinary!