Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
New to me streaming shows/series I like >

New to me streaming shows/series I like

New to me streaming shows/series I like

Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iraxy View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with Shetland? I know that Happy Valley may not come back, but I thought Shetland would.
i thought I read that it will be back maybe March but without Tosh
Old 02-05-2018, 02:01 PM

I have Roku in the sewing room, Dish in the living room. I have access to Netflix, Amazon Prime movies and TV shows, Food Network, HGTV and Pluto TV (for Newsmax mainly) and HBOgo from Dish.

Netflix costs about $14.00 a month, so I can watch something on the TV or my PC or laptop. Amazon Prime is $11.00 a month with tons of free movies and Tv shows.
Roku is really fun I can access Fandango that has movies playing at the movie house without the crowds....... I just rent them and watch.

Last good series I watched was The Last Kingdom on Netflix. It's about the Vikings and the Saxons. And a rather gritty show called Narcos, which deals with Pablo Escobar and the DEA. (not for young viewers).

I like to watch movies mainly in my sewing room that includes DVD's.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Iraxy View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with Shetland? I know that Happy Valley may not come back, but I thought Shetland would.
There is a new series of 'Shetland' starting in a couple of weeks (here in the UK)
Old 02-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by baywinds View Post
Help please. I'm stuck in the dark ages watching $188 a month worth of cable. Yuck!!! (I'm not, but you know who can't live without it I know he would love the police series. Thanks
Can you explain all this streaming. I understand Netflix streaming, but none of the others.
You can buy a roku at WalMart to pick up all the streaming channels . It's a one time cost. No monthly fee. Read all about it at roku.com. Different models available.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
You can buy a roku at WalMart to pick up all the streaming channels . It's a one time cost. No monthly fee. Read all about it at roku.com. Different models available.
the Roku is a one time cost but the channels usually have a minimal monthly fee. We pay $5 a month for Acorn. Share Amazon prime with one son and Netflix with another but they have minimal fees too. Of course much cheaper than our directv but the Mister likes to watch it and I like the idea of networks with'ut an antenna.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:26 AM

I really like Outlander and Poldark.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
I really like Outlander and Poldark.
I really like Poldark also, halfway through season 3 via my iTunes. I have started reading the Poldark series of books, there are 12 books in the series.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by baywinds View Post
Help please. I'm stuck in the dark ages watching $188 a month worth of cable. Yuck!!! (I'm not, but you know who can't live without it I know he would love the police series. Thanks
Can you explain all this streaming. I understand Netflix streaming, but none of the others.
Here's my un-techie explanation. Buy a Roku unit (check Amazon for reviews). Plug it into the back of your tv. Your internet router will have a password on it. Use that to link your Roku to your wireless internet (or you can hard-wire your router to the Roku unit by means of Ethernet). Go to Roku.com to set up an account. Roku will start with some standard icons, but from the website you can add additional icons to your Roku screen. For example, you might have a Hulu icon but that does not mean you are subscribed to Hulu; you can click on the icon to set up a trial subscription and if you keep it pay for it through your Roku account. Your Roku remote will let you delete icons and add icons, or you can also add icons from your Roku account. Anyway, that's the way we do it.

Some apps are free; others are subscription.

We pay for Netflix, Acorn, and Mhz. Just started a trial of Hulu, but I think I am going to cancel that one. We also pay for a subscription to Great Courses Plus, which gives us access to wonderful college-level lecture courses on an amazing range of topics.

We also have a lot of free apps such as CBS, ABC, NBC, Newsy, and NewsOn for news. WJS (WSJ?)has some interesting short documentaries. Dh subscribes to a lot of free cooking apps, including several on Indian cooking.

My advice is to start by purchasing a Roku unit. If you already subscribe to Netflix, you can access it from your Roku unit as well as your tv. Check out some of the freebies, then add subscriptions one at a time. I think all of the subscription channels offer a free trial before they start charging.

Edit: I think all of the "free" channels include ads. They used to not be too annoying, but lately I have noticed they have become very annoying. (Maybe it's me?) Apparently they don't have enough advertisers because they will play the same ad over 3 or 4 times during a "commercial break". I have started turning off the sound when those are on.

Last edited by Prism99; 02-08-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:54 PM

Vera- excellent long running crime show you can catch seasons 1,2, 4-7 on Acorn and seasons 3 and 8 on Britbox- stream through Roku or other streaming device.

Brokenwood - New Zealand police procedural, great soundtrack and quirky characters. We've liked every episode. On Acorn

Foyle's War- WWII police series, fantastic series and great acting. No longer being made, but we binge watched all seasons and really liked it. Also on Acorn

Durrells in Corfu- based on Gerald Durrell's Corfu trilogy--fun, fairly light series about the family's life on Corfu in the 1930s. We've enjoyed the 1st couple of seasons so far. I think we streamed it off of PBS. Correction, we streamed season 1 off Amazon Prime and Season 2 off of PBS.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 02-12-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Has anyone watched Republic of Doyle on Netflix? There were only six seasons and we are done but now we miss them!!