Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New Orleans move

New Orleans move

Was just informed by DH that a job transfer to New Orleans was offered. Anyone in New Orleans?
    Stop whining and find time to quilt!
    My sewing machines are Singer Featherweight, three Singer 201-2, Singer 15-91, Singer 66-16. Singer 66 Redeye treadle, Sewmor Deluxe Japanese 201 clone, Free-Westinghouse with shuttle bobbin, Viscount hand cranked, Brother PRW420 and Brother serger.

I should be use to this being a military spouse, but I just got my sewing room and quilting room setup the way that works efficiently, uh. New Orleans was a place for us to vacation, must take a minute and get my mind right, LOL.
    My sewing machines are Singer Featherweight, three Singer 201-2, Singer 15-91, Singer 66-16. Singer 66 Redeye treadle, Sewmor Deluxe Japanese 201 clone, Free-Westinghouse with shuttle bobbin, Viscount hand cranked, Brother PRW420 and Brother serger.

I love New Orleans. Haven't been in a while. Good luck with your move.

Blog Entries
    Oh, I remember the pain of moving with the military spousal unit. Thank YOU for YOUR service and may New Orleans be a good place for you and your family. We never lived or visited there, but some folks who have been there to visit liked the area. Just depends on your needs. Good luck and hope the move goes smoothly.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Military life can be a real pain. We are grateful for your service, and understand your frustration. New Orleans can be an exciting place, just use lots of "OFF" to help with mosquitos. I would love to be there

Blog Entries
    *** NO is nice, but be wary of some areas.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I used the advanced search on the members list and this page shows up, as you can see 16 members but some who have never posted. You might like to try to private message one or two of the members as not everyone reads the chit chat forum and they might miss your inquiry. http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...sername&order=

I've never lived in NO, but a couple of our kids went to LSU, so we had occasion to visit the area a number of times. We lived in the Houston area, so we were no strangers to heat and humidity, but I'd swear NO had more of both. It's good if you can get moved soon before the worst of that sets in so that you can acclimate gradually. Of course, "spring" is probably a couple of weeks in early March, and after that, be sure the AC works - no kidding! Also, if you've never lived in a hurricane area, you need to know that everyone must pay attention to tropical weather conditions and be ready to evacuate. Just get out, preferably ahead of the crowd. Remember that Katrina wasn't even considered a very big hurricane!

I'm sure you'll find quilt friends there. Here are a couple of interesting websites I googled up just now: http://quiltinggallery.com/2010/03/1...lock-by-block/ and New Orleans Modern Quilt Guild http://nolamqg.webs.com/ One thing the military teaches people is how to adapt and make friends in a hurry. Best wishes and thanks for your service!

Hi Deriz56! I'd love to chat with you about Louisiana. Been here about 26 years but I do not get to the city very much. We are on the other side of that 26 mile bridge. Mardi Gras is happening now and the excitement is everywhere. Do you have any idea which community you are looking to live? I'd wager to guess somewhere around Bell Chase. Please feel free to pm me with any questions and will try to help. If you love seafood, you will love it here!

Thanks for the tip, will do.

Sweet, I can eat seafood seven days a week. Am a transplant from the Virgin Islands, lived in Florida and Texas so heat and humidity I have mastered. We have no idea which community, doing research and plan to make a trip there soon to get a lay of the land.

I live about 75 miles northwest of NO. The food and the people are great here. You'll love it.

We miss Dallas, was there when Katrina and Rita came through. I had both daughters at UH and used the web to direct them through the back roads during the evacuation to get home to Arlington. So, we don't wait and see, we evacuate preferably ahead of the crowd. Will checkout the sites you mention and thanks. Yes, the military lifestyle - adapt, prepare and connect with others.

Never lived there, but have visited many times. We are going to Mardi Gras this week down there. I love the place.

Thank you so much for your service to our Country.

UPDATE: Arrived In New Orleans and have decided Slidell, LA is the area to put down roots for a few years. Thanks to all for your tips for moving to the area. Settled in for a three week stay until house is ready. So, up goes my machine and starting a quilt top for my sister.

So sorry for the move especially when you just got your quilt room organized.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort