Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New pasttime

New pasttime

So the kids have moved out and me & my husband are left with the dogs, one of which is a Polish Lowland Sheepdog (we have a German Shepherd and a Maltese, too) The Sheepdog is definitely an "alpha male" and even though we try to socialize him, he's just not the most likeable guy. But, we have found an answer to help channel some of his energy and also allow him to chime in on his natural instincts...and it sure has helped. We've been taking him for sheepherding classes (who woulda thunk??)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

One of my all-time favorite trainers once said "The best toy you can buy a Border Collie is a herd of sheep". Looks like the same applies to PON's
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

The working and/or herding dogs are happiest when working. If you can get in a bit of work for him all will be happier.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful that you recognized what he needed and are able to provide the activity for him. He will be a happier guy for it! Good doggie parenting!
    Sue

Just what the doggie needed -- some one to boss. Great idea.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Cesar Millan, the dog whisper, has always said that high energy dogs need a job.

Love that picture!

We had a neighbor whose herding dog was bored and would nip at anyone who walked by. And if they ran it was a sharper nip. He has since found another home with someone who is working with him and giving him a job to do. Everyone including (or maybe especially) the dog is much happier now.

What a great picture. Happy for all of you...he looks like he's having a blast!
    Laura

that is so good for him - working dogs love the work he looks so contented. Good for you.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When purchasing any pet people really need to pay attention to the breed. I had a mixed Labrador Keeshound when I live in a mobile home. He loved being around people. He was so friendly he would scare the pants off people. His mix was 95% waterdog and had a lot of energy. Loved that dog but had to do what was best for him. My dad knew a deputy sheriff that had a 20 acre farm with a pond. He also had a female lab/retriever mix about the same age. Bo was about 6 months and she was about the same age. Her name was Betty. They lived happily ever after and had the most beautiful puppies. The deputy had 5 kids. I cried like a baby but was happy for him because he was happier. People really need to think about the breed, even the mixed. Also if you can't afford something, don't buy a pet because you can't afford it either.

With a breed known as "Polish Lowland Sheepdog" (who, but the way is a very pretty boy!) you might think he would be pretty good a herding sheep??? Good for you for recognizing his natural instincts and abilities.He looks like he's having a ball!
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Have you thought about loaning him out to the local schools to help herd the children? Just a thought from a retired teacher!

Our classes are actually at Cesar's ranch.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Our old dog used to herd the neighbors 3 cows and one time she tried to take on the range cattle when we were camping. Sure miss her.

Blog Entries
    We started with an Australian Shepherd, i thought he needed a mate, little over 2 years later we had puppies everywhere...we ended up keeping 2 more....turns out they kept our cattle herded, as well as our grandkids, and our cars as we would come into the driveway....now 16 years later, 3 have crossed the rainbow bridge and only 1 left...he still tries to keep me and the husband as well as the 2 jack russells herded.

Looks like he is smiling. Good job for him.
    Confirmed fabric-holic seeking 12 step treatment program or a storage building.

Glad you came up with a solution!

My Basset Hound Rosie would have loved bossing around anything, May she rest in peace. She was not a safe dog to be around !

That wouldn't be wise - what if the dog nipped a child who refused to be herded? think of the lawsuits!

He certainly appears to be in his element. I see a smile on his face! Cute picture.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Do you buy a herd of sheep next?
    If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it.

We have 2 Border Collies, brother & sister. They love to "herd" each other all the tiime. We recently aquired 2 kittens about 6 weeks old, our Collies think they're the kitties parents and have started herding them. The only thing that freaks our female out is when one of the kittens finds a nipple and tries to nurse. She has never had nor will have puppies, so this part she doesn't like! Lol
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

Blog Entries
    The picture is wonderful.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

That dog is a very happy " herder" !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast