New Phone

Old 08-04-2011, 02:33 PM

I love my smart phone & use it a lot & use a lot of it's features & apps, but I can't think of too many things it does that I can't do from my PC if that is your question. I use the GPS, maps, dictionary app, notes app, calorie counter app (should use that one more often!), Pandora Radio, Weather Channel app, google, Facebook & more including calls & texting! I really like being able to access email when away from my PC too.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
Peckish, do you have an ipod or ipad? There sure are rave reviews about ipad, but I don't know if I want to spend money for that either.
I have an iPod, 2nd gen, 2 years old this summer. I'm seriously thinking about getting my husband an iPad for Christmas, I think he'd love it. I just wish they weren't so dang expensive.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:52 PM

deleted
Old 08-04-2011, 04:58 PM

When I got my Droid (Verizon new every two) my DH was critical of me because, of course, I had to get the data pkg. Now, he of course has a Blackberry with everything but it is due to his job. I really wasn't sure I would use the internet on my phone that much but I have to tell you...I wouldn't be without it ever again! It is so handy...and I especially love the GPS Navigation part when I am driving someplace unknown! I can check emails on the go and also my favorite sites (including this quilting board). I recently downloaded a new app where I put in the zip or city/state name and it tells me quilt shops in the area...that is fun...used it when I was a conference in MI a couple weeks ago.

So...if you can afford it, I would go with a smart phone. Then again, if money is an issue...get what you can afford. I never advise people to live beyond their means. :)
Old 08-04-2011, 06:39 PM

I have a pre-paid go-phone through AT&T. No bells & whistles but it is so advanced from my previous phone it's not funny. The old one had a pull-out antenna which made my grand kids laugh.

If somebody wanted to give me a smart phone I'd accept it with many thanks but can't justify it's cost.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:54 PM

I love my iphone. It costs me $70 a month for the data plan. On top of that, my DH and DM have costs for their phones, so it is hard to break it down.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 PM

Just a few weeks ago i shunned smart phones. All I wanted was a phone that made and received phone calls - period.

Then in a rare moment of insanity husband and I both got iPhones.

Now I'm hooked. Yes I use the apps - FB, e-mail, and Web browsing. I also use the calendar for appts. The best part is that we can use skype on our iphones and talk to the kids in England from our cell phones!!

As my girlfriend said when I told her I got an iPhone "resistance is futile".
Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 PM

I liked a nice simple cell -it dialed and it rang what else would you possibly need if stranded on the side of the road after dark.For me the cell was for emergencies or long distance.But I don't even know what an App is -heck I never figured out how to retrieve voice mail. The store Rep always did it for me til he un-set up v/m -missed calls were always displayed.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:21 PM

I also have a Go phone.If i use it it's $2.00 a day,AT&T.I just can't afford anything more,someday I'm going to learn how to text.Connie in Co
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 PM

I have the internet on my phone + texting, etc., and I love it. I can check email, facebook and during evening tea at a local restaurant with friends we do crosswords and I can access the dictionary for help. can't beat that!