new scam--U.S.Medicare

Old 08-24-2020, 02:14 AM

Default new scam--U.S.Medicare

In 3 days I have received 3 calls from foreign sounding males, claiming to be calling from "U.S. Medicare". They are offering additional medicare benefits due to the covid 19 virus..FREE..(the free word is supposed to appeal to you). All they request is your medicare member number. NO! NO! NO! If they are using your medicare information to reach you, they will already have your number. Please stay alert for the many scams that are using the virus to steal your ID, or bank acct. I am sure many older citizens have already shared their personal info. I fear for them.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:58 AM

I don’t answer any phone calls from people not in my contact list. Legitimate calls can leave a voice mail.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:22 AM

If I don't recognize the number, it goes to the answering machine
Old 08-24-2020, 04:33 AM

People who prey on the elderly are scum.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by lberna View Post
I don’t answer any phone calls from people not in my contact list. Legitimate calls can leave a voice mail.
I do the same thing. If they don't leave a message I block the number.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:02 PM

We've gotten the same calls, and they are leaving messages on our answering machine. Same scam...free testing, get it now or you will not be eligible later and won't be covered if you get sick. It does make for some lively conversation, as DH and I "talk" back to them when they are leaving their messages. Sadly, as Mermaid says, someone less savvy will fall for this and give up private information.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

If I don't know the name or almost always just numbers I never answer. If it is someone confirming an appointment I let it go to answering machine and I call them back. We know very few people so I hang up on them so they can't leave a message. Makes my life more enjoyable that way.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:56 AM

I've also gotten calls saying they were Social Security needing to update my files and number or my checks will be cancelled.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:21 AM

Blocking the number doesn't do any good, since most of them are spoofed to make it look like a local number.

I thought a long time about how scammers should be punished and most of my ideas would probably get me banned for excessive violence. So -- may they walk barefoot on legos for all eternity!
Old 08-25-2020, 06:36 AM

M.y caller ID for our home phone shows up on our tv with the name and number. I don’t even have to look at the phone to see who’s calling. I, too do not answer and call (even in my cell) if I don’t recognize the name and number. Guess I’m classified as an “older” since I’ll be 73 next month, but I’m not gullible. I once got a phone call from my home phone number to my home phone number - yes, the spoof numbers all the time. If it’s really important, whoever calls will leave a message. I’ve played with them a few times suggesting they get a real job, and other things.

Sandy in Mooresville,NC