Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: New Storm Headed for Australia

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,293
    As if they haven't been hit hard enough by the recent floods!
    http://www.businessinsider.com/map-o...ne-yasi-2011-1

    Hang in there, mates, you're in our prayers!

  2. #2
    Super Member Tink's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,692
    it just doesn't seem fair...hugs and prayers for our quilting friends...

  3. #3
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    so sorry

  4. #4
    Senior Member Japonica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington, PA
    Posts
    688
    Are we just connected to more info than we ever have been or does it seem like storms are getting worse? Another big one headed for the midwest and northeast USA

  5. #5
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Oh No!! Prayers being said (((HUGS)))

  6. #6
    Super Member quiltlonger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Rushford, NY
    Posts
    1,690
    thoughts and prayers are with all -there and here

  7. #7
    Super Member Crlyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,813
    Yes and it looks like this, http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohe...hirgmscol.html catagory 4, please stay safe everyone.

    HOW SCARY DOES THIS LOOK!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,275
    i hope it blows out before it hits land been through a couple if hurricanes(cyclons) no fun last one tore shutters off one window thankfuly no dammage some of our neighbors won't so lucky will keep you in my prayers

  9. #9
    Senior Member pennyj123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    413
    Gday, I think storms are getting worse and the climate is also changing. I have family in Queensland also, will be watching out for them. They just can't take a break at the moment. Stay safe all around the world where ever you might be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Japonica
    Are we just connected to more info than we ever have been or does it seem like storms are getting worse? Another big one headed for the midwest and northeast USA

  10. #10
    Super Member miss_ticky2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    2,053
    Thank you all for the prayers and hugs. We personally are not near the oncoming cyclone. Just heard that they are evacuating hospitals in Cairns and many folk are evacuating.

  11. #11
    Super Member Rainy Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Posts
    1,100
    Glad to hear from you Miss Ticky, I have a good friend in Cairns, she is busy evacuating her nursing home. They are taking the old folks down to Tweed Heads, and one of the ladies is very excited - she can't wait to play the pokies!

  12. #12
    Super Member miss_ticky2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainy Day
    Glad to hear from you Miss Ticky, I have a good friend in Cairns, she is busy evacuating her nursing home. They are taking the old folks down to Tweed Heads, and one of the ladies is very excited - she can't wait to play the pokies!
    Lol..at least she's looking on the bright side..and a free trip too :) I do hope your friend is going to be ok..is she going as well?

  13. #13
    Super Member miss_ticky2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    2,053
    The cylcone has been upgraded to a category 5 this morning :( Due to start hitting within hours now

  14. #14
    Super Member mirabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    2,654
    Hi everyone, guess what, I am on the very edge of this da#$ thing. It is supposed to cross the coast at a small community just north of me. My DH was flown home early from work and spent all of yesterday and today preparing our home. We have taped all the windows, secured all our personall documents and treasures, packed an emergency bag with a few changes of clothes. We have also prepared two safe rooms within our home. It is now 5pm here in Ingham and it is expected to cross the coast between 10pm and midnight tonight.

    The worst past is the waiting, the wind is starting to get stronger and it has started to rain. The water has been turned off but so far we have not lost power, but that will happen. I guess we are as prepared as we can be.

    Keep us in your prayers and I hope to talk to you all soon

  15. #15
    Junior Member LittleMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sunny Queensland
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle
    Hi everyone, guess what, I am on the very edge of this da#$ thing. It is supposed to cross the coast at a small community just north of me. My DH was flown home early from work and spent all of yesterday and today preparing our home. We have taped all the windows, secured all our personall documents and treasures, packed an emergency bag with a few changes of clothes. We have also prepared two safe rooms within our home. It is now 5pm here in Ingham and it is expected to cross the coast between 10pm and midnight tonight.

    The worst past is the waiting, the wind is starting to get stronger and it has started to rain. The water has been turned off but so far we have not lost power, but that will happen. I guess we are as prepared as we can be.

    Keep us in your prayers and I hope to talk to you all soon
    Where are you Mirabelle? I am in Rocky and there has been a strong wind and rain since this arvo. I am scared for all of you further north. Keep safe please, this is one doozie of a storm.

    :-(

  16. #16
    Super Member noveltyjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    53 degrees North
    Posts
    1,668
    Blog Entries
    3
    Oh mirabelle- a big quilted hig to you! I have been watching the build up all day and I listed to Anna Bligh's speech which I found kind of reassuring but also kind of scary- she was obviously expecting it to be bad, and I really hope that you are safe and that your property does not suffer too much damage. Stay safe, and I hope that, against all odds, it reduces in intensity before it hits.

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    1,359
    yall downunder are in my prayers as well. hope it blows out before it hits land. stay safe

  18. #18
    Super Member mirabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    2,654
    Hi LittleMo
    I am in Ingham, 100k's north of Townsville, 150 K's south of Innisfail.
    the wind is picking up here, I have just cooked dinner so better eat and settle in for the night.
    I hope to stay on the computer for as long as possible (is it taking my mind off everything) but we are going to lose power before this night is out.

  19. #19
    Senior Member pennyj123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle
    Hi LittleMo
    I am in Ingham, 100k's north of Townsville, 150 K's south of Innisfail.
    the wind is picking up here, I have just cooked dinner so better eat and settle in for the night.
    I hope to stay on the computer for as long as possible (is it taking my mind off everything) but we are going to lose power before this night is out.
    Gday, i am with you and will be checking on you also, i have friends with children west of Cairns, you are much further up. We will all be keeping an eye/ear out for you. Not a churchy person but i hope that god is on your side to be keeping you all safe up there. My heart is with you. xoxoxoxo

  20. #20
    Super Member miss_ticky2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle
    Hi LittleMo
    I am in Ingham, 100k's north of Townsville, 150 K's south of Innisfail.
    the wind is picking up here, I have just cooked dinner so better eat and settle in for the night.
    I hope to stay on the computer for as long as possible (is it taking my mind off everything) but we are going to lose power before this night is out.
    My prayers to you Mirabelle..I pray you and all stay safe through this terrible time ahead.

  21. #21
    Super Member mirabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    2,654
    Thank you everyone, I have been told to turn off the computer and unplug everything. One last phone call to our daughter who lives on the Sunshine Coast and hopefully I will be talking to everyone shortly.
    :cry:

  22. #22
    Super Member Rainy Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Posts
    1,100
    My GF in Cairns has rung me,she is safe at Tweed Heads, and our friends in Innisfail have been in touch with my sister, and it seems that they are all well and safe. Sending all the Queenslanders positive thoughts - if any one loses their stash, let us know - I am sure we can all help out :)

  23. #23
    Senior Member pennyj123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainy Day
    My GF in Cairns has rung me,she is safe at Tweed Heads, and our friends in Innisfail have been in touch with my sister, and it seems that they are all well and safe. Sending all the Queenslanders positive thoughts - if any one loses their stash, let us know - I am sure we can all help out :)
    I am with you on that one, thinking of everyone.

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,293
    You are all in my prayers constantly. I hope you all come through it with no major problems and losses. Living in tornado/hurricane land as I do, I can really sympathize with you.

  25. #25
    Super Member noveltyjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    53 degrees North
    Posts
    1,668
    Blog Entries
    3
    It's morning here now and we are all anxious for news. Power and phones are out across huge areas so no one really knows yet how bad it was. Hopefully we'll start to hear very soon and get confirmation that everyone is safe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.