Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Window's 10

Blog Entries

New Window's 10

I decided to take the leap of faith and download the new Win 10. It worked fine for a week and then all heck broke lose. I couldn't get into anything, called my service provider and they couldn't figure out what it was. I then called Microsoft and they were stumped after leading me through possible fixes.

I was sitting here almost crying since Win10 was now on two of my computer that I couldn't even get into. I happened upon a link on my Kindle on how to go back to the Win 7 which I had.

If you decide to go back to the operating system you had before, you can do that within the first 30 days. I clicked on the link, went to make a cup of coffee and by the time I got back, my computer was back to "normal". I just thought I'll post this in case someone is thinking about the upgrade to Win10 and hates it, make sure to go back to your original system within 30 days.

I was told that some Windows 10's don't download correctly. I guess it's a bug in the system.

My daughter has tried to upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 twice and both times the conversion took over 24 hours and then would reinstall back to Windows 8. She upgraded her other computer from Windows 7 to 10 without a hitch. Took a little over an hour from start to finish. She has not had much time to work with 10 so she has not formed an opinion yet. Thank you for your post. I will let her know about the 30 day deadline.

I just bought a new computer with Windows 10. There is a very good chance I will be returning it, if I can find a new computer with Windows 7 or 8. It works fine for awhile, and then just freezes. We've had to reset the operating system twice (at least that's what I think it is called.) The last problem DH fixed by taking out the battery for a few minutes. I'm also not thrilled with the EDGE browser that came with it, and went back to Mozilla.

That is why I am still running XP on my old Dell.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My senior SIL just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 (Best Buy did not have any 7's) I helped her set it up and it seemed to work just fine but I'm not sure I like the Edge either also the voice response, whatever her name is, wasn't very responsive and the touch screen was difficult for her to use. I think I'll wait a few months before installing Windows 10 over my Windows 7. Maybe by July or August they'll have most of the bugs worked out or maybe it'll be a dud like some others.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
    I decided to take the leap of faith and download the new Win 10. It worked fine for a week and then all heck broke lose. I couldn't get into anything, called my service provider and they couldn't figure out what it was. I then called Microsoft and they were stumped after leading me through possible fixes.

I was sitting here almost crying since Win10 was now on two of my computer that I couldn't even get into. I happened upon a link on my Kindle on how to go back to the Win 7 which I had.

If you decide to go back to the operating system you had before, you can do that within the first 30 days. I clicked on the link, went to make a cup of coffee and by the time I got back, my computer was back to "normal". I just thought I'll post this in case someone is thinking about the upgrade to Win10 and hates it, make sure to go back to your original system within 30 days.

I was told that some Windows 10's don't download correctly. I guess it's a bug in the system.
    I had the geeks download windows 10 on my computer about 3 months ago. BIG BIG mistake. Nothing works with it , so it was a new printer, new software, P E designs still have problems. You can't copy a picture to print, you have to put in a file, then copy and print. I wish I never heard of Windows 8 or 10. If you have Windows 7, stay with it and XP is still my favor.

Died in the wool dinosaur here...sticking with 7! Using 8 (or some variant) at work currently and it STINKS!

I've downloaded the W8 from 7 and don't have a problem. I still can't find my task bar with some of the Cprint, etc. It's a good thing I know most of them. My computer knowledge is to start punching buttons and finally something works.

Blog Entries
    My son who does computer work for a large family of hospitals told me to wait until they get the bugs out before downloading it. He said it would be free for a year so give them time to work out problems. Sounds like he gave me sound advice with all the problems I'm hearing about.
    Dreams Do Come True
    Good friends are like quilts - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth.

Thanks for the advice. I, too, am waiting and wondering. I've heard too many horror stories about 10. My grandson, who is a computer whiz, says it seems the odd numbers programs don't work as well. He's waiting for 11. I'm still running 7 and I think I'll stay there for a while.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    *** I am still with Dell and Windows XP.
    *** Hope it continues to work, I cannot afford a new computer of software.
    *** I am afraid of 10 and hope I never have to use it.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    My son tried to download 10 on my computer right after it came out. My computer kept rejecting it as a virus or some thing like that-but it never would download. I'm not sure what the inventor thinks XP stands for but after hearing so many horror stories I'm glad mine decided to be Xtremely Protective

I downloaded and installed Win10 on my desktop and haven't had too many issues with it. Had problems with my printer with Win7 so not much different than before. All my embroidery and quilting programs work just fine too. My laptop is still on Win7 as I'm using it for my quilting machine webcab so really don't need to upgrade it with Win10. As they say "if its not broke don't fix it".
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

W10 is the most cumbersome thing in the world - absolutely hate it! Sadly, we installed it more than 30 days ago, otherwise we could uninstall with a link. As previously stated, I can't copy a photo to add to an email (posts a link instead) or work quickly with my photos. A real hassle.

Sorry you are having trouble. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and like it fine.
    "Finish each day and be done with it ..... Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely."

IMHO Windows 10 is an improvement over 8. I struggled with 8 and 8.1
    "Finish each day and be done with it ..... Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely."

Just be careful - XP isn't supported anymore and nasty viruses can get through. But, oh, how I would love a return to the XP operating system! I'm using Windows 7 now - after the nightmare VISTA - and am very pleased with it.

DH has 8.1 - another horror story!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I HATE Windows 10. I have used XP and loved it, but having said that, I wish that we could get and support NT. As far as I am concerned that was the absolute best of all. Maybe some day someone at Windows will figure out that just because we need to employ all these students studying computer science, the new stuff just isn't any good and that they need a few years experience WORKING in the real world to understand what is useful and easy and what isn't.

I found out that i you have more than one administrator on the account Windows 10 will only install when using one admin account. With the wrong admin account it will go on forever and then quit. Like you I had so many problems and programs that would not run that I returned to my previous operating system. Important to remember that this can only be done in the first 30 days after installing Windows 10
    Carmen E.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
    I'm also not thrilled with the EDGE browser that came with it, and went back to Mozilla.
    Just a fun hint, IE11 is still available instead of Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by RV Quilter View Post
    ...so give them time to work out problems. Sounds like he gave me sound advice with all the problems I'm hearing about.
    This is great advice no matter if it is software, simple updates or entire Operating Systems. Windows 7 was probably the best rated Operating System, but when it first released, it had so many bugs it would cripple entire systems.

--
    I seem to be one of the few who actually likes Windows 10! I worked on the Beta testing program and found quite a few tricks with it. If you are upgrading from Windows 8 or 8.1, there is only subtle differences. For anyone upgrading from Windows 7, it can be aggravating at first but it is well worth the time in learning. My father (late 60's) and grandfather (90 this year!) both are able to use Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 much easier with the new interface design than they were able to use Windows 7.

I have quite a bit of experience with computers and have certifications with both Microsoft and IBM, so if I can be of any help, just let me know!

Regards,
    Steve

I like W10 I've had no more problems than I had with 8.1. I reloaded a few older Office programs , as I like the photo editing of Office 10. I do not use Edge much and for work I had to reload an earlier version of Internet Explorer but so far I like it.

I have 2 laptops and downloaded Windows 10 on one first to see if I still wanted it on the second one. I have had no problems with it except that it really lags and freezes when it is updating!. Other than that, it is better that 8, but I still like XP or 7 the most.

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I, too, am waiting and wondering. I've heard too many horror stories about 10. My grandson, who is a computer whiz, says it seems the odd numbers programs don't work as well. He's waiting for 11. I'm still running 7 and I think I'll stay there for a while.
    I just talked to a computer salesman yesterday, and he agreed completely with my grandson. He hates it on his machines. He also said the odd numbers worked better than the even numbers. He's waiting for the new one.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It isn't compliant with one of the systems in my work so I'm staying where I'm at. Like they say if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Sorry! This should have said it was the even numbers that don't work as well. Took me a long time to find that blunder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast