Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
news from Harvard - hormones in milk >

news from Harvard - hormones in milk

news from Harvard - hormones in milk

Old 02-24-2011, 10:46 AM

I read about this in "More" magazine lately and found this online. Apparently there are a lot of female hormones in milk to begin with, and with modern practices of milking cows while they are pregnant, it adds in even more hormones..

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/.../11-dairy.html

It goes on to say most of the hormones are in the fat part of the milk.

"The milk we drink today is quite unlike the milk our ancestors were drinking" without apparent harm for 2,000 years, she said. "The milk we drink today may not be nature's perfect food."
Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Glad we drink skim or 2% then. I love milk. Have it with dinner every night!!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

I quit drinking animal milk years ago. We drink almond milk. It was hard to find almond milk but I had soy milk maker before most knew what it was. It made almond milk. It takes a lot of almonds to make a quart of milk. Now almond milk is available everywhere. And I noticed coconut milk is now in the grocery stores too. Both have more calcium then regular milk and very little fat and calories. Every child that has tasted the dark chocolate almond milk at my house loves it. One little boy whose mother insisted wouldn't drink it as he was too picky said it tasted like melted ice cream and drank two big glasses of it. I use almond or coconut milk in all my baking too.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM

We drink either Promise Land or Soy Milk for that very reason.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 PM

We also use almond & coconut milk....and can get the good old fashioned raw milk at one farmer's market.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Every child that has tasted the dark chocolate almond milk at my house loves it. One little boy whose mother insisted wouldn't drink it as he was too picky said it tasted like melted ice cream and drank two big glasses of it. I use almond or coconut milk in all my baking too.[/quote]
---------------------------------------------
Use dark chocolate almond milk and a ripe banana, ice cubes and blend it till it is smooth. Marvelous home made milk shake.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Every child that has tasted the dark chocolate almond milk at my house loves it. One little boy whose mother insisted wouldn't drink it as he was too picky said it tasted like melted ice cream and drank two big glasses of it. I use almond or coconut milk in all my baking too.
---------------------------------------------
Use dark chocolate almond milk and a ripe banana, ice cubes and blend it till it is smooth. Marvelous home made milk shake.[/quote]

Sounds great! We use the almond and coconut milk in our smoothies all the time. So nutritious with fresh fruit! I also use it in all my baking plus the almond flour and coconut flour.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

I would never pay for milk in those clear plastic jugs. Light kills the nutrients so you are wasting your money. By milk in a carton or non see through jugs.