no gift birthday parties

Old 04-23-2011, 05:06 AM

We have a no gift party for my DGD. She will be 8 this year. We rent a series of sites at a nearby park and set up a badminton net, the kids bring their bikes, the site is off the main path and has a circular road in the center. Some of the high school kids from my class come and anyone can invite whomever they wish. We usually give balls,frisbees,or bubbles as favors. She has a great time.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:29 AM

What a wonderful idea. Focus should be more on having fun and not expensive presents.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
We do the "no gifts please" thing too, and also put a note on the invite that we will gladly accept can goods or winter coats or blankets or dog/kitty items to donate on behalf of all the kids. We pick a different charity for each birthday. We have been able to make great donations every year, and my daughter loves being able to walk in the centers to present them with the items. Puts a smile on her face and ours.
My youngest DD did that for Junebug's 1st b-day and items were donated to a local women's center for single moms. Everyone brought a covered dish and the cake was homemade with single cupcakes. All the items were donated in Junebug's name as her gift to those less fortunate!!! Lots of great ideas and I think the donut cake is priceless!!!

Kathi in PA
Old 04-23-2011, 07:25 AM

How gorgeous are these photos, what a wonderful idea. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 AM
pal

Just want to let you know that you've made my day.

I have been to children's birthday parties and have gone home completely heart sick seeing the expensive gifts that are given.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Cute idea! The cake and fruit look yummy
Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 AM

what agreat idea wouldn't it be nice if everybody thought like that. by the way the pic of the 2 boys is pricless. i don't know y but i love the pics of people walking away. that was one of my favorites at my daughter wedding.....bride and groom just walking away !!!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:18 PM

What a good idea. In this economy and with the number of parties kids get invited to it makes sense not to have the guests brings gifts.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx
My daughter and her friends are doing something I think is absolutely awesome. Their little kid birthday party invitations say "Just come and join the fun - no presents please. Micah will be getting plenty of new things from his family."

When she first told me this I thought - yeah, right! Figured people would show up with presents anyway, but ... mostly not. Between parents and grandparents there were enough gifts to be fun at my grandson's recent three-year-old birthday party, but the emphasis was on playing at the park they used, feeding the ducks on the lake, tossing the frisbies she had for favors... just running around and having fun.

Instead of spending big bucks she rented the pavilion - $25. Bought the frisbies - $1 each for 20 or so. Had fruit (I provided that) a donut cake - wait for the picture - it was SOOO cute - and little pigs in a blanket. Juice boxes and water bottles in a cooler. Baggies of bread for each child to feed the ducks. A few ballons and some plastic tablecloths and they were done.

I hope this trend continues. I remember sacking up some of my kids' toys to bring out later in the year. It was just too much stuff!
When my great nieces and nephen were born my neice statered her kids party where instead of gifts we donated to St Jude in the childs name. Some kids with large extended families just get way to many toy.
At Christmas we let each child buy a gift for a child in need.
It helps to get the kids started early on shareing giveing.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 PM

That's what my cousin and his gf did for their daughter, so maybe it is a trend. I LOVE the donut cake. Great idea!

Stephanie