Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders >

No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders

No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders

Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 AM

Perhaps you might use this time to leaf through quilting magazines and plan your next few quilts... maybe add some new beautiful fabrics to your stash... (any excuse I can think of sends me to the fabric store... LOL)... it will pass. Rest your thumbs!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 PM

Just do as the Dr tells you and hope you do not need any surgrey. Watch TV. read the quilting board. rest and let someone wait on you for a while I know it is not easy to do Never had to not use had for 6 weeks but did tear all my tendoms in right hand duringcanning season about 10years ago Not to nice but I managed. Keep up the good work
Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 PM

I think that's what I had, say, 18-20 years ago.
See, the kids got these 'gameboys, and they had these battery things on them (so they could just recharge them instead of always putting in new batteries). That made it top heavy, and back then, if you turned off a game, it didn't save where you were, so you just had to play it to the end (it was the late 80's)
I had to go to my doctor's and get a shot of cortisone in my hand because of it! I reminded him that he couldn't tell anyone, doctor/patient confidentiality LOL
Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM

This may be a good time to review patterns, organize fabric and notions and prepare for the Christmas season. It would drive me crazy.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Well, there are nearly 1000 pages of pictures on this board. You could use the time to explore...Get well soon.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 AM

The days are slowly going by. I can't do any sewing at work,I had been altering wedding gowns. Did some organizing of some materials and some Counter work and am currently training in a new seamstress. The sewing at home is at a standstill. The weeds are taking over the garden -Oh well! I guess I could do some organizing here in my sewing room. I got an exercise to do w/ my hand yesterday from my OT. Ice, ice, ice all day.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 AM

The splint is off the left , except at night when sleeping. I'm coming out of the right, so wear it about half the day. I've been given permission to sew w/ a machine for 15 min, then rest for 45 min. I can cut some or sew by hand some but not both, I'm right handed. I had to buy different shears that are spring loaded, so easier to use and better for this condition. I have been sewing tiny bits at work but nothing at home so far. I've spent lots of time looking at patterns, books, cruising the internet, ordered lots of fabric, books and fabric coloring pencils, inks and paints. No more spending money for now! I've learned that tendons take longer to heal than broken bones. It might be several more months before I have no pain. Overuse will cause flare-ups, then the splint will have to go back on.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 AM

Don't give up! Just keep doing doctors orders. Hopefully with time it will get better, you've made it this far !