no spelling???

Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Wow, this is hmmmm.... can't quite think of the correct word!
I know things are changing but..........
Frightening!! No matter the country.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by dflynn
THIS IS INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NancyBelly
Please don't trash us. We're doing our best in a very bad situation to educate your children and grandchildren Children are being forced to learn more at an earlier age than ever before. And many of the children have major medical, emotional, and psychological problems then when we were in school. Many children have no parent taking care of them much less making sure they do their homework or even see that they get dinner and a bath.

We are told what to teach and how to teach it. Schools have embraced a business model that we must follow so that our product (the kids)all turn out the same. Trust me, we're as frustrated as parents are.

Cursive writing is an art but it is becoming unnecessary. As long as a child can write their signature they're fine. You generally print on forms if you;re filling them in by hand.
You are definitely not being trashed! My best friend is still teaching, and she is looking forward to being able to retire. There is not a whole lot of enjoyment in teaching some subjects where you have to read the teacher's guide word for word. Kids are not robots and you need the freedom to teach in all different ways to help them. I know some parents who homeschool and others who send their children to Christian Schools, because they want the best for their kids. They don't do it to trash public schools, they are just doing what is best for their children.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:05 PM

I want to repeat what Susan Margaret said that we are not trashing the teachers. We want a reform of the system. I have two children who are teachers and two grandchildren who are teachers. They are so disillusioned and feel so frustrated! We have to get this teaching the tests idea out of our schools and go back to teaching knowledge. Our kids seem to be able to pass the tests that the government requires but have not learned to understand, they can make boxes to indicate their answers but not think through and write out a solution. My son says that each year the graduating class is dumber than the class before it. What will these kids do as adults?