Non quilting interests

Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 PM

For me it is church activities, gardening, golf with my DH and friends. I volunteered for a local organization for 2 years and now looking for another one to do something new.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:23 AM

My main other activity is hula dancing. I've been going to class for five years now. There is so much to learn about authentic hula. The teacher is Hawaiian (from Maui) and is a very good teacher. We all love her. The people in the group are the nicest people I have ever met. We do free dance performances at the senior centers, churches, and other locations. I have learned some of the language. We are all over 65 and the older dancers are in their mid-80's. Can you tell I am passionate about it? Aloha!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:27 AM

I just can't picture retired women doing hula dancing.......those hip movements must be killers ........you are a better woman than I!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I just can't picture retired women doing hula dancing.......those hip movements must be killers ........you are a better woman than I!
Actually the hip movements are the easy part. A lot of the hip movement comes from dancing with the knees slightly bent. Granted it is not for people with knee problems. Getting the hand gestures correct and the feet moving correctly at the same time is the difficult part for me. Oh and remembering to smile at the same time. We have six men in our group too.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 AM

I love my garden during Spring/Summer! When I'm not sewing/quilting ...I'm knitting! Just finished this Snowman for my neighbours 6month old Grandaughter !!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by adnil458 View Post
red cross
cat shelter

What are your non quilting hobbies or interests?
Hi, twins separated at birth? I did red cross for years when I lived in Portland, and here, for 4 years I worked at the animal shelter 1 day a week. My job was taking (hopefully good and loving and take me home now) photos of every new cat up for adoption since the last week. Then naming them and uploading the photos and a personality blurb to www.petfinder.com. We had people from all over the US adopt from our shelter via petfinder. If your shelter isn't utilizing it ask them to please look into it.

best wishes and many happy adoptions!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 AM

CoventryUK, your snowman is so cute.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Seaside gal View Post
CoventryUK, your snowman is so cute.
Thankyou!! It is quite an old pattern! I first did it for one of my Grandaughters when she was 6 months old.....she is now 14,!!!! It stands the test of time!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
May I tell you how this topic convicted me?! I sat for several minutes and thought about how I've let myself become quiet and isolated over the past 5 years. I hurt so much of the time that I've let that be an excuse to not participate any more.

But I'm going to change that in 2014!!! Water aerobics 3x a week and editing the guild newsletter once a month just won't do it for me any more. I promise myself I will find a new interest where I can give back and I will do it with passion!
Thank you, thank you for mentioning that I need to get the fires lighted again!

Jan in VA

Me too Jan!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:59 PM

God bless you Rodney. Keeping busy seems to keep the mind from thinking negatively. Keep up the good volunteer work, your spirits, and prayers go up for you and your family.