Non quilting interests

Old 12-03-2013, 07:26 AM

Default Non quilting interests

After retirement, I knew I needed to get out of the house in order not to be a hermit. For 4 1/2 years, I volunteered for the Red Cross by assisting at blood drives: greeter, canteen, made appointment calls from home and even cooked food for some drives. I was getting a little burnt out and it starting feeling like a JOB. Time to pass the torch.

Almost 2 months ago, I began volunteering at a cat rescue in Pittsboro NC, The Goathouse Refuge. Somehow it popped up on my Facebook and drew my attention. Hubby has even started volunteering. I have cleaned cages and potty boxes, swept, mopped, feed, picked up a donated washing machine, spent hours at the laundrymat and the best part loved on as many cats kitties as I could (to socialize). The only drawback is drive is 1 1/2 hours each way. I have four cats but still have fallen in love with more

What are your non quilting hobbies or interests?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 AM
DJ

I volunteered for years when my children were young, at school, church, charity organizations ... In retirement, I didn't want to get into something with a schedule, and I find I'm plenty busy with other interests ... counted cross stitch, knitting, sewing crafts other than quilting, snow skiing, reading, gardening, getting together with friends, travel, forums . . .
Old 12-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I volunteer for many groups and activities in my town. All anyone has to do to get involved with as many varied interests they could possible want is raise their hand one time. LOL I believe everyone needs to get out and do something, meet new people, learn something new, help others (but not cater to). Smile and enjoy life. It's the only one you have. I keep my 16 month old grandson during the day and he goes right along with me. A toddler can take a nap anywhere on a quilt pallet.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Seems I do not have any non quilting interests. Maybe I need to get more involved sounds like a wonderful thing to do!!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:03 AM

I have a free bus pass and at the present I'm enjoying travelling the country and seeing it. I chat to my one on the bus or having a coffee. People are very chatty they only need a start. I do have a touring caravan which at present sits in the garden, periodically I go away by having tea in it.
I mix with my quilting friends and enjoy life. I do miss one thing male conversation. It just seems a world of women.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 AM

Before I started quilting, I was involved with the Girl Scouts, both at the troop and at the adult levels. I also taught First Aid/CPR for adults and children with the Red Cross, and I was on several committees at my church. Poor health has limited my involvement with all three of those groups. With an 8-hour workday (9, if you include lunch) and a 1-hour commute on both ends, and those ongoing health problems, I don't have much time to do anything outside the home. I have two quilt guild meetings, one quilt bee meeting and at least one Saturday quilt day, each month. My at home time consists of keeping up with housework, the regular cooking and cleaning, keeping touch with FB friends and family, reading for relaxation and trying to get in some sewing/quilting every day.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I just help my niece with her girl scout troop. Try to find easy peasy recipes so they can make their own snacks. They really like the flat bottom ice cream cone holder cupcakes. We've taken some of their Halloween candy they're not fond of and made cookies out of those. They recycle a lot of gifts or things to make gifts from recycled products.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:21 AM

I retired less than a year ago,and have given myself a time out for a year to unwind and think. I likely will volunteer at the food bank.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:31 AM

I have a bunch of hobbies. Beekeeping, woodworking, restoring old woodworking machines, and now quilting and fixing up old sewing machines to name a few.
My wife and I have also signed up as volunteers at my daughter's school.
I want to do volunteer work but I'm currently dealing with cancer and my health has been really irratic. It's difficult to do anything with a fixed schedule. I don't want to sign on as a volunteer then have to cancel and leave people hanging. As my sewing skills improve and my finances allow I would also like to make some charity quilts for kids.
Rodney
Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

i volunteer for several organizations in my new town... i'm getting to know lots of folks
i also help look after my 92 yo aunt.
and i do lots of charity quilting