Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nook or Kindle? why and why not

I have had my Kindle for almost 2 years and absolutely LOVE it!

I find lots of good free books are available and rarely pay unless it is an author that I have to have. Besides saving $$$ I have a lot more room for quilting without hundreds of books around the house.

I just bought the Nook, black and white version. didnt see the need for color at this time. I love it. getting athritus in fingers and it is so light and easy to hold, and turn pages. price was good also. Now I need to make a cute quilty cover for it. LOL

Ah! I love the smell of books in the morning! I love books, paper, pens and pencils - I have so many books they are stacked in most rms of the house! (horders?!?) Most are reference type books, you name a catagory I have something. Im in the process of (wand ) scanning to get rid of a lot.
    I want an ereader so bad, but cant figure out what to buy. I saw on a home shopping show this AM something called nextbook - very good price:@ 180$ and does what I want (I think) - The electronics show just happened in Las Vegas so Im waiting to see what the next gen in readers will be. (way back in the Dark Ages I worked for a co that did repair/maintenence on computers etc - in the 90s - and they sent reps to this trade show every yr. They came back w/ Dragon software the yr it came out - voice recognition to operate your word doc etc, very zoomy at the time and very expensive. Dragon is still around! but much cheaper now)
    I also love audio books, theyre great on long trips, pop in a book and have it read to you makes the miles fly by. My SO has to travel @ 7 hrs each way when he comes and goes from work, once a month. His car only had a cd player and my books were cassettes, so I went to audible.com (I think thats the site) and you can plug in a voice headphone set and record what you read and download it on cds, so I made him a cd of poems and started reading a book for him about a person who sailed solo around the world in the 1800s. He really likes this idea. share t

Blog Entries
    I downloaded the Kindle app on my iPod touch and I'm very happy with that. I need to download the Nook app to see how it works. The touch was the better option for me as I like that it does so many more things than just a reader. I take it everywhere...love, love, love it!

I've had my Kindle DX since they came out, I love it. Just using it to read (with the on-line option off) my battery last more than a week without recharging. Lots of books on line and it will read lots of formats.

My daughter bought me one of the very first Kindle, she also has one. I just love it. I think it was one of the best Christmas presents I ever got. My daughter and I are both heavy readers. She bought the larger hard drive and I got the one that came with the kindle it was big enough for me.

I would not ever part with my Kindle. When my husband was in the hospital I took my kindle with me, I spent day and night in the hospital for a week, "my husband past away". Before I left three of the nurse who took care of my husband order a Kindle and they just loved it. It is worth every penny! I don't go anywhere with out my Kindle!

Blog Entries
    I got both a Kindle and a Kobo for Christmas. I took the Kobo back, hated it but love the Kindle. There is also a website that offers free books for most readers, believe it's www.noob.com. If that isn't it PM me and I'll send the link along to anyone who wants it.

I've downloaded several books from that site and they were free. Some you have to pay for but most you don't. I'm loading up my Kindle for my hip surgery next month.

Quote Originally Posted by arimuse
    Ah! I love the smell of books in the morning! I love books, paper, pens and pencils - I have so many books they are stacked in most rms of the house! (horders?!?) Most are reference type books, you name a catagory I have something. Im in the process of (wand ) scanning to get rid of a lot.
    I want an ereader so bad, but cant figure out what to buy. I saw on a home shopping show this AM something called nextbook - very good price:@ 180$ and does what I want (I think) - The electronics show just happened in Las Vegas so Im waiting to see what the next gen in readers will be. (way back in the Dark Ages I worked for a co that did repair/maintenence on computers etc - in the 90s - and they sent reps to this trade show every yr. They came back w/ Dragon software the yr it came out - voice recognition to operate your word doc etc, very zoomy at the time and very expensive. Dragon is still around! but much cheaper now)
    I also love audio books, theyre great on long trips, pop in a book and have it read to you makes the miles fly by. My SO has to travel @ 7 hrs each way when he comes and goes from work, once a month. His car only had a cd player and my books were cassettes, so I went to audible.com (I think thats the site) and you can plug in a voice headphone set and record what you read and download it on cds, so I made him a cd of poems and started reading a book for him about a person who sailed solo around the world in the 1800s. He really likes this idea. share t
    I also love the smell and feel of books, and have forever. It's taken me some time to come to terms with an e-reader, but I read every day. I have plenty of books that I would never ever give up, but I also want to have books I can't afford to buy. When an out of print book I have been mooning over (PBs going for $45.!) came out in Kindle for 4.99. Something in me just said- ENOUGH! We resisted the iPod, because we're old, and it is the most amazing thing. So now, I want an eReader.

Blog Entries
    I tried both readers and decided on the Kindle. Here are the reasons behind my personal choice:

1. I liked the controls on the Kindle better, they felt more intuitive to me

2. I didn't like the backlighting as I feel it causes eye strain for me. I use a book light, just like I would with a real book when I read my Kindle at night

3. I have had some less than favorable experiences with the Customer Service 800# at Barnes and Noble but have had nothing but great experiences with Amazon Customer Service.

4. I had two different friends who broke their Kindles, not the product's fault, and both were replaced with new Kindles before they even sent their broken ones back because Amazon insisted they shouldn't have a lull in their ability to use the product.

5. With Calibre (free software for converting ebooks and putting them on your reader) and an iphone, (I have access to nook books on my iphone should I choose) I have found plenty of books. However, I have yet to use this feature much as I've never had trouble finding books.

I'm reading this and posting with my iPad. I have the kindle reader and the nook reader and both are free apps for iPad. The keyboard, when turned sideways, is big enough for me to type as if it is a regular keyboard. I can check my email and play scrabble, sudoku, mahjong solitaire, and kenken. It's a fully integrated entertainment system, and i LOVE IT!! Wouldn't have anything else.

You will get almost as many opinions for this as sewing machines. The Nook and the Kindle are the same but different. I have a Nook WiFi with 3g with an eink screen. I personally like the touch screen at the bottom of the Nook rather than the keypad of the Kindle. Since I have had the Nook I read more than I ever have. There are so many WEB sites for free books it is amazing. There are a lot of books written by start up authors that just did not get a publisher. Amazing stories at that and some not so amazing. Nooks can read PDFs, Epubs and DRMEpubs so there are no conversions. But as someone stated there is a free program that will convert to the azw format but it will not convert DRM encoded epubs. The cool thing about the Nook is you get all kinds of benefits if you bring your Nook into a Barns and Nobel store. Go to Best Buy, they have both there and try them, then make your decision.They are both very good devices. My wife has the Nook Color, now that is an amazing piece of technology.

I got a Kindle last year for Christmas and I dearly love it. I have over 60 books loaded into it right now that were totally free....I spent a hundred dollars on books before I found a blog that I receive every day that lists the books available on the Amazon Kindle site for free. You have to get them right away though because they are only up for free for a short time. My Kindle goes everywhere with me, and the best part is that I save all that money so I can buy more quilting supplies! If anyone wants the URL for the blog, email me privately and I will send it to you.

I have the kindle. Love it. I download the free books and have been happy with I have read. My daughter gave me a gift certificate to buy some, but only bought one or two, real bargain ones. Keeping the balance for a best seller that might be something I want to read.

I don't have either yet, but only the Nook allows me to down-load books from my local public library. I can also get the books on my computer, but it is too heavy to take along for travel.
    Sally

Blog Entries
    i DONT know anything about either. I need to see some. with my limited budget I probable will stick to the paperbacks .the ones that I can afford that is. lol. I also use my library for books.

For those on limited budgets the kindle 3 is only $139.00. 20 paperbacks at $7. and it is paid for. So many free books, you don't have to buy any more.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingquilter
    Sorry, I'm from another generation, I guess. I love REAL books. The look of them, the feel of them in my hand, the smell. I love browsing bookstores, new and used. Especially love the musty, dusty smell of used book stores. I love sharing books I've read with others, and receiving theirs. I love pencil marking passages and phrases that impress me and noting any that others may have done. I love the look of books on shelves in my home and the comfort in knowing that I have read 99% of them. They are my friends. Nope, electronics just don't cut it.
    Ah, we are kindred spirits! =sigh=

I love books too. This is one corner of the livingroom, with an entire 14 foot wall of bookcases. All filled. My love of books and fabric and quilts has exceeded my home's capacity.

I need to control how many "real" books come in here now.
    The Kindle holds 3500 books . No matter how many books are in it, it still weighs less than a 9 ounces and takes up less room than a notebook.

Different strokes for different folks. But it's so satisfying to see how many readers there are on this board!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My kids got me a Kindle for Christmas and I love it. My favorite feature is all the different font sizes so I can actually see to read again. And the battery life is quite long if you turn off the wireless.

I haven't seen anyone refer to the Velocity Micro Cruz ereader. My daughter and I went shopping for comparison and we chose this one. She needed to be able t o read at night without the light on as it bothers her husband. I wanted to be able to do email and surf the net when traveling. This one fit both of us. It's in color and connected to Borders. I'm hoping I will be able to hook into my library and am going to a class this month. Light weight and can adjust the contrast also. On sale at Staples.com for $119. A real deal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I downloaded the Kindle app on my iPod touch and I'm very happy with that. I need to download the Nook app to see how it works. The touch was the better option for me as I like that it does so many more things than just a reader. I take it everywhere...love, love, love it!
    I am reading each response as I know so little about e-readers. What is app?

I have a Kindle and don't know how I lived without it. I am a bibliophile and it was that or open our house as a library. Amazon has everything I've ever looked for, plus I've even gotten a couple of quilting books for 99 cents with tips I'm tickled with and didn't have to pay top price for.

Blog Entries
    where can I go to learn more about these?. I have heard of them but have never seen one.

I got a Sony for Christmas, really like it. It has a built in bight.

Received a Kindle for christmas with the cover and the light and I love it. My husband must have loved it also, becuase his arrived in the mail last Monday. I've only downloaded my Church books so far, but my husband downloaded 22 golf books the first hour after he registered his kindle. he's so silent now, I have to go looking for him in the house. he has his nose in his Kindle. I like the 1 click method of purchase on Amazon.com.

Quote Originally Posted by hazeljane
    Quote Originally Posted by arimuse
    I also love the smell and feel of books, and have forever. It's taken me some time to come to terms with an e-reader, but I read every day. I have plenty of books that I would never ever give up, but I also want to have books I can't afford to buy. When an out of print book I have been mooning over (PBs going for $45.!) came out in Kindle for 4.99. Something in me just said- ENOUGH! We resisted the iPod, because we're old, and it is the most amazing thing. So now, I want an eReader.
    I worked for 20 years in a second-hand bookstore (pt) because I wanted to feed my addiction for books.... it worked and I was never happier than being in the store talking books and authors with customers. I agree, there definitely is something about holding the real book in my hands, along with the smell and feel... I always have at least 2 books going and there's always a pb or 2 in my pocketbook... just in case! Been thinking my next pt job will be in a quilt shop and that will feed one of my other addictions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast