Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Not a funny, but good to know information

Not a funny, but good to know information

NOT ALL THIEVES ARE STUPID

1. LONG - TERM PARKING

Some people left their car in the long-term parking at San Jose while away, and someone broke into the car. Using the information on the car's registration in the glove compartment, they drove the car to the people's home in Pebble Beach and robbed it. So I guess if we are going to leave the car in long-term parking, we should NOT leave the registration/insurance cards in it, nor your remote garage door opener. This gives us something to think about with all our new electronic technology.

2. GPS:

Someone had their car broken into while they were at a football game. Their car was parked on the green which was adjacent to the football stadium and specially allotted to football fans. Things stolen from the car included a garage door remote control, some money and a GPS which had been prominently mounted on the dashboard. When the victims got home, they found that their house had been ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen. The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so they knew how much time they had to clean out the house. It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents. Something to consider if you have a GPS - don't put your home address in it. Put a nearby address (like a store or gas station) so you can still find your way home if you need to, but no one else would know where you live if your GPS were stolen.

3. CELL PHONES:

I never thought of this! This lady has now changed her habit of how she lists her names on her cell phone after her handbag was stolen. Her handbag, which contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet, etc., was stolen. Twenty minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says, "I received your text asking about our Pin number and I've replied a little while ago." When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen cell phone to text "hubby" in the contact list and got hold of the pin number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their bank account.

Moral lesson:
    a. Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contact list. Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad, Mom, etc.
    b. And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts, CONFIRM by calling back.
    c. Also, when you're being texted by friends or family to meet them somewhere, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came from them. If you don't reach them, be very careful about going places to meet "family and friends" who text you.

4. PURSE IN THE GROCERY CART SCAM:
    A lady went grocery-shopping at a local mall and left her purse sitting in the children's seat of the cart while she reached something off a shelf/ Wait till you read the WHOLE story! Her wallet was stolen, and she reported it to the store personnel. After returning home, she received a phone call from the Mall Security to say that they had her wallet and that although there was no money in it, it did still hold her personal papers. She immediately went to pick up her wallet, only to be told by Mall Security that they had not called her. By the time she returned home again, her house had been broken into and burglarized. The thieves knew that by calling and saying they were Mall Security, they could lure her out of her house long enough for them to burglarize it.

*PLEASE PASS THIS ON
    Even if this does not pertain to you, please let your family and friends know so they don't get caught in a scam.
    I quilt, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    oh goodness. I do carry my insurance papers in my wallet/purse. not in my car. never leave my GPS in sight. and don't have my exact address in it anyway. close but not exact.

Blog Entries
    People need to know there local laws and current technology before following all the advise in this thread.

Where I live a copy of insurance documents must be in a vehicle at all times. The original must be in a vehicle that leaves the province.

Most cell phones require a password to access them nowadays. If my phone was stolen, they would have three tries to guess my password before the phone locked up completely.

I am not a fan of GPS technology. Why would anyone need to program HOME into one? Surely most people can find their way home from anywhere within 20 or more miles? My phone has a GPS option that I can use if needed to find a shop in an unfamiliar city.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Guess it pays to have a 17 year old car with no GPS, no bumper stickers about where my kids are in school or a parking permit #, a basic phone that has NO bells and whistles, and no tablet to leave in the car.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Thanks Ditter. That is all good advise.
    Mary

I have heard these before. We don't have a garage.
    Oldest Granddaughter left her smart phone in a dressing room at a big dept. store. Employees found it laying on top of some items. She had a password on it, so it could not be used.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My niece had her iPhone stolen from her purse at the grocery store - she had the new kill switch on it. She reported the loss to the store where she was fairly sure it happened, then called the police. The person at the police station directing the call said, "We may have your phone here." My niece was told about an hour before someone had dropped it in front of the station. They thought it was accidentally dropped by the owner until my niece told them she had't been anywhere near the police dept. Luckily it was not damaged.

I inadvertently 'donated' my Kindle Fire to Goodwill last year. Even though it was early morning and I returned within 15 minutes, the employees couldn't find it. (Yeah, right!) Fortunately, I had a pin number on it so I went home and contacted Amazon. They locked it permanently and listed it as stolen. Of course I never got it back but no one else was able to use it and, more importantly, they weren't able to use it to make purchases on my Amazon account.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Most banking institutions will not allow you do withdraw all your money from your checking account in one day specifically to avoid this kind of situation. There's usually a limit, such as $300 in one day.

I can't tell you how many times I park next to a car and see a GPS, tablet, and/or purse sitting right on the front seat in full view. It just amazes me. I never leave anything valuable in my car.

We don't use GPS and we have a good alarm on the car, also have a good home security system. I don't put anyone's number in my phone if I can't remember it I want need it. But those are good tip's. Also if you park your car in the driveway of your home don't leave the garage door opener in it or make sure the door from your garage into your house is kept locked.

Blog Entries
    My son wanted to install a GPS in my car - I am directionally challenged - I only seen it as an open invite for some one to break out my windows. It took him 6 months to find a tail light for my car. Lord only knows if I'd ever find a window. It always amazes me that during holiday shopping people have their cars stuffed with their purchases for all to see. My car has nothing in it except a local map and a road atlas. On days when I am doing lots of shopping with my Dad I only carry a wallet and everything goes in my trunk.

I have programed the local police station into my GPS, as my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Guess it pays to have a 17 year old car with no GPS, no bumper stickers about where my kids are in school or a parking permit #, a basic phone that has NO bells and whistles, and no tablet to leave in the car.

Jan in VA
    Us too Jan, don't want all that stuff. Younger people can't seem to live without it.

Blog Entries
    Love it. Great idea.

When I am going to the Post Office to mail envelopes or packages, if I stop anywhere first, I always turn the mail face down so my home address cannot be seen through the window. Never leave my phone or tablet in car and always lock car doors even in my own driveway.
    Also, look for a parking spot at malls that does not have any cars or vans beside it. Shy away from covered parking. Can't be too careful these days.

It is legal to cut your address out of the insurance and registration papers. You can cut out the street and city and state and just leave your name. If you get stopped the police will run your drivers license and they will have your address, they might ask you to verify it. All you need is the registration number and proof of insurance. Never leave anything in your car that would cost you time, money and stress to replace. It's sad that we have to be inconvenienced to protect ourselves and homes in this day and age.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Our PO box is the address on our information for proof of insurance. And you are so right about stickers supporting schools. Another is a sticker on the back of some windows of those in the family with of all things the kids names and if there is a mommy and daddy. TMI can cause a lot of problems. I had my DGDs phone listed as "**** girls" I changed that quickly. I have paid for stickers but only as a donation. I let some one else buy the sticker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    Everyone should check their daily limit on their ATM card. I have both my savings and checking on my ATM card and found out by accident that my daily limit was $10,000! We had gone to look at a used car on the weekend and liked it but didn't have access to the $3,000 to pay for it until Monday - or so I thought! The car was an hour away from our house, so I went to the ATM to get a deposit for the car. Well I took $500 out, no problem, then tried again for another $500, and continued doing this with no problem! Got out the total $3,000 no problem. I was very upset because I didn't know how much more I could have taken out - what if someone had a gun to my head, or someone had gotten my card and pin number! I called the bank on Monday very upset and was told the limit was $10,000! WHAT??? I immediately told them to change it to a much lower amount. So beware, not all banks have a limit for ATM withdrawals set at small amounts.

I'm surprised that so many don't know the limit of their debit card withdrawals. The person should tell you when you open the account but sadly most can't think of anything more then getting your signature on the account and your money in their bank.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I'm surprised that so many don't know the limit of their debit card withdrawals. The person should tell you when you open the account but sadly most can't think of anything more then getting your signature on the account and your money in their bank.
    I never asked because I had worked at a bank when the ATMs started and we had a set limit, the same for everyone. I have had many different bank accounts at other banks since then and there was always a set limit. Never dreamed that the bank would automatically set someone's limit so high, thought it was $500 or $600.

Hope someone learns something from my assumption and calls their bank.

So did we.
    Quote Originally Posted by P-BurgKay View Post
    I have programed the local police station into my GPS, as my home.

I put mainly first names in except for ones that are duplicates, then put more info for those - like (glass guy) or (xxx's friend). For couples I may put both first names or nicknames. And I don't allow Facebook access to my contact list.

Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    I am not a fan of GPS technology. Why would anyone need to program HOME into one? Surely most people can find their way home from anywhere within 20 or more miles? My phone has a GPS option that I can use if needed to find a shop in an unfamiliar city.
    We use the GPS to find home every time we go to a strange city. It tells us how to get out of town and to the highway that will lead us to our house. Once we are on a familiar road, we don't need it anymore, but it sure is handy to find the way to familiar.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

On a slightly different topic, be sure to check you credit card bills. On Saturday I noticed a big charge, $500+, at a somewhat local Walmart. Neither my DH or I had ever been in there and he still had his card in his wallet. He called and had the charges removed. The number used was his. He will be getting a new card via Fedex today. We can't figure out how someone got his number and I guess, his pin #. It is essential to check you bills!!! He uses the card for business, so I don't always know about every charge, but I always ask.

Since I know where I live, I used the police department as my home address in my GPS, so if it is stolen, they will arrive to a place they really needed to go in the first place