Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
This is not A Joke!! Please read!! >

This is not A Joke!! Please read!!

This is not A Joke!! Please read!!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 PM

ATTORNEYS ADVICE - NO CHARGE

This is not A Joke!!

Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it someday. Maybe we should all take some of his advice! A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company:

1. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put 'PHOTO ID REQUIRED.'

2. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOTput the complete account number on the 'For' line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

3. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

4. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel.. Keep the photocopy in a safe place.
I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a Name, address, Social Security number, credit cards..

Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have first hand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieves ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more.
But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

5. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

6. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)
7. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and also call the Social Security fraud line number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name.

The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit..

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, if it has been stolen:

1.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

3.) Trans Union: 1-800-680 7289

4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line):
1-800-269-0271

We pass along jokes on the Internet; we pass along just about everything.

If you are willing to pass this information along, it could really help someone that you care about.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

Ditter, this is great. Hard not to wait for a punchline from you though lol :D
Old 01-27-2011, 08:35 PM

Good info....thanks for sharing
Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 PM

thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 PM

Seen that one before, but maybe not everyone has.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Some of this I didn't know, but NOT signing my Credit Cards was suggested strongly by son and brother, both cops. I write on it "Check photo ID" which might surprise clerks but all of them agree on the necessity of this simple act.

The rest of this I will copy and paste and send it to all on my address book. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the info!!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 AM

Really good info!! Thank you.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Administrator

thanks for this!

i've added it to my favorites in case i lose the printout!

:thumbup:
Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 AM

thank you