Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not a quilt, but this is my first backpack. >

Not a quilt, but this is my first backpack.

Not a quilt, but this is my first backpack.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:50 AM

Default Not a quilt, but this is my first backpack.

I bought a pattern for a small backpack to use as a purse when going to quilt shows, fairs, or any other place I want to keep my hands free. (I just used a small piece of corduroy that I had left over from my daughter's pants she made in home ec. Yes she is a free spirit when it comes to clothing, and has always done her own thing.) I have to say I learned a lot in the process so it was a learning experience. Now I am ready to make the faux tooled leather one for my sister's birthday on October. Please let me know if you have more experience making bags and you see anything I could do better. Yes, I am asking you to critic my project, and thank you for doing so. Does anyone know what to use, that is not iron on, to stiffen the bag sides, front, back, and bottom? (I am afraid to iron anything onto the faux leather.). I am going to cover some webbing for the straps on the next one, so I have that part covered. <3
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by madamekelly; 08-29-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:08 PM

No experience here, just wanted to say I love your backpack!!!
Old 08-29-2016, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

What a bright and cheerful fabric you used making such a pretty backpack. Enjoy wearing it!.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:14 PM

Really like your backpack. Nice job!
I'd be careful using it as a " back" pack at a quilt show, wallets have been known to be liberated from them in crowds. You can wear it on your chest to keep an eye on it, still freeing up your hands.
Re the stiffening -you can use peltex or that really stiff interfacing type of product. It may be fusible, but you don't have to fuse it. Alternatively you can use those inexpensive flexible plastic cutting boards from the kitchen section of the dollar store. You may have to make an extra layer of fabric to slip it into to hold it. If you use them, cut them a little smaller than the area you want to stiffen, then it will be out of the way of your sewing machine needle.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:59 PM

Thank you folks for your complements and being quick with the replies. I will check out peltex.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Love your backpack...I use I use soft and stable...
Old 09-06-2016, 04:22 PM

What a cute bag. Good job. I've never made a bag, so no hints from me.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
Really like your backpack. Nice job!
I'd be careful using it as a " back" pack at a quilt show, wallets have been known to be liberated from them in crowds. You can wear it on your chest to keep an eye on it, still freeing up your hands.
Re the stiffening -you can use peltex or that really stiff interfacing type of product. It may be fusible, but you don't have to fuse it. Alternatively you can use those inexpensive flexible plastic cutting boards from the kitchen section of the dollar store. You may have to make an extra layer of fabric to slip it into to hold it. If you use them, cut them a little smaller than the area you want to stiffen, then it will be out of the way of your sewing machine needle.
I usually hang them from my arm in public, but I love your idea of wearing it backwards for security. Thank you so much for a wonderful idea.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

try putting a op on the top so you can hang it over your arm. just a small ne, 4" or so will do. I too have made them with a heavy interfacing without iron on. or iron it to a piece of muslin that can b sewn into it. that worked for me.