Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5
Results 101 to 124 of 124

Thread: Not so well known facts

  1. #101
    Super Member alwayslearning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    http://youtu.be/8DrhTAwBCso

    This is MY county, take a look, please. Beauty is a fact.
    Thanks! Love your avatar.

  2. #102
    Senior Member PuffinGin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Minnesota USA
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone
    My grandfather's cousin invented the snowmobile ....
    piney
    I'm curious, Piney. Which was your GF's cousin: Eliason or Bombardier?

    "In 1927, the first patent for a snowmobile was issued to Carl J. Eliason of Sayner, Wisconsin. The patent listed Eliason's invention as a snow machine.

    Between the years of 1927 and 1962, thirteen patents were granted to inventors for snow vehicles considered the predecessors to the modern snowmobile.

    In 1958, Joseph-Armand Bombardier designed the modern snowmobile. Bombardier is considered the father of snowmobiling who began commercial production and marketing of the Ski-Doo snowmobile in 1959. Joseph-Armand Bombardier was the first person to successfully market snowmobiles. He was granted a Canadian patent in 1960 and a U.S. patent in 1962 for his endless track vehicle aka snowmobile."

    Above from http://inventors.about.com/od/sstart...snowmobile.htm

  3. #103
    Junior Member OrangeSherbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hewitt, Texas
    Posts
    138
    Blog Entries
    1
    Although some folks would think that the 475 foot brick suspension bridge across the Brazos river completed in 1870 which was the longest bridge west of the Mississippi river is Waco's claim to fame, I think that the most important thing to happen in Waco is that in 1885 the soft drink, Dr. Pepper, was invented by Morrison's old Corner Drug Store.

  4. #104
    Super Member dublb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brady TX
    Posts
    5,972
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSherbet
    Although some folks would think that the 475 foot brick suspension bridge across the Brazos river completed in 1870 which was the longest bridge west of the Mississippi river is Waco's claim to fame, I think that the most important thing to happen in Waco is that in 1885 the soft drink, Dr. Pepper, was invented by Morrison's old Corner Drug Store.
    :thumbup: I like DP.(Diet now.)

  5. #105
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Big Timber, Montana
    Posts
    152
    lACELADY-BEAUTIFUL PICTURE OF YOUR CHURCH AND CEMETARY!! i would love to live in Ireland, I'd move there in an instatnt

  6. #106
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Big Timber, Montana
    Posts
    152
    At the turn of the century Big Timber was the largest wool exporting town in America. The wool packing houses are still standing, they still smell wooly and musty. This area was very heavily settled by Norwegians.

  7. #107
    Super Member Sienna's GiGi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    http://youtu.be/8DrhTAwBCso

    This is MY county, take a look, please. Beauty is a fact.
    VW is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

  8. #108
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR via Hawaii
    Posts
    1,339
    It's illegal to wipe your dishes dry in Oregon.

    (It's one of those old, old laws, and I really don't know if it's still on the books....but wouldn't surprise me.)

  9. #109
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,884
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I grew up in Vancouver, WA
    Me too! In high school we used to go up to Prune Hill to drink and be rowdy teens. Now it's all housing developments. :(

    It's difficult sometimes, trying to explain to people where you're from. If you say Vancouver, they assume you mean British Columbia. If you say Washington, they assume you mean District of Columbia. If you say Portland (because it's right across the river from Vancouver) they assume you mean Portland, Maine. I finally struck gold after 1980 when I was able to say I live close to Mt. St. Helens.
    We used to sled down Prune Hill in the winter snow! I watched St. Helens blow from my back yard, where were you?

  10. #110
    Power Poster lynnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    24,105
    Blog Entries
    1
    i live on Long Island, the only thing i can think of is Son Of Same murdered people here.

  11. #111
    Super Member snipforfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,971
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by everbtrue
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    PT Barnum's original fat lady came from my town n Ct.
    PT Barnum was born in the town I used to live in. We have a town triangle (not square!) named in his honor.
    That would be Bethel CT? I used to live in Brookfield til 12 years ago. I know PT Barnum Square well.

  12. #112
    Senior Member IAmCatOwned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie
    We celebrate practically everyone's holiday - Oktoberfest, Svenskarnas Dag, Syttende Mai, Cinco de Mayo, and the ever popular St. Urho's Day (that's when the Finns chased the grasshoppers out of Finland). Edie
    You do know that they chased the grasshoppers out of Finland to save the winemaking crop, right? I wonder if that's how we got snow snakes?

    St. Paul (I live 20 miles away) also has the longest running winter festival in the US. Parades in minus 25 F. are not uncommon (I know, I've attended them).

    I live only 2 miles from the first decommissioned nuclear power plant in the US (about 30 miles away).

  13. #113
    Senior Member IAmCatOwned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    864
    <>

    I always suspected you guys were zombies but now we have smoking gun proof!

    Stephanie in MN

  14. #114
    Junior Member MrsWiggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    burlington, ky
    Posts
    104
    Blog Entries
    1
    There is a small town near me named "Rabbit Hash" , it's on the Ohio river. Story is when the river flooded many yrs ago the town was cut off from everything & all they had to eat were the wild rabbits that were plentiful, thus the name.

  15. #115
    Super Member coachmatthewsvhs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vestal, NY
    Posts
    1,657
    Blog Entries
    1
    Vestal's famous "Bed and Bathtub Races"

  16. #116
    Super Member Greenheron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Briery Mountain in WV
    Posts
    2,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    http://youtu.be/8DrhTAwBCso

    This is MY county, take a look, please. Beauty is a fact.
    VW is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    You are welcome. This is just Preston County!

  17. #117
    Super Member Greenheron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Briery Mountain in WV
    Posts
    2,647
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayslearning
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    http://youtu.be/8DrhTAwBCso

    This is MY county, take a look, please. Beauty is a fact.
    Thanks! Love your avatar.
    Thank you, easier to post a photo than make a beautiful bag like yours.

  18. #118
    Super Member alwayslearning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayslearning
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    http://youtu.be/8DrhTAwBCso

    This is MY county, take a look, please. Beauty is a fact.
    Thanks! Love your avatar.
    Thank you, easier to post a photo than make a beautiful bag like yours.
    You are too generous! One of my brothers-in-law is from West Virginia.

  19. #119
    Super Member Baloonatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloonatic View Post
    Ooo ooo! {waving} I forgot a few more!

    * The first motel in the world opened here in 1925.
    * Billy the Kid hid out in the county, and his stepfather is buried here.
    * Jesse James and Black Bart also hid out here, raiding cattle ranches on the Central Coast.
    * Zac Efron was born here.
    * Home of Hearst Castle
    * Cecil B. deMille buried his stage set for the 1923 film The 10 Commandments on our southern beaches...and its still there
    * Earlene Fowler's books are all based on our city/county (she calls it 'San Celina')
    * Home of the Pismo Clam
    * James Dean died on the highway in the north-eastern corner of the county
    Here are a couple more:
    * First Farmer's Market
    * First to ban smoking in public places
    Quilts and cats just go together!

  20. #120
    Super Member running1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Clinton, OK
    Posts
    1,655
    Blog Entries
    1
    Jacqui.. don't be afraid! If I remember correctly, Oklahoma is home to more astronauts, per capita, than any other state. Before I retired Oklahoma was in the top 10 states of having the most Nationally Board Certified Teachers... again, per capita... There are a number of wonderful Oklahoma statistics.
    Speaking of inventions... the grocery cart was invented in OKC!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

  21. #121
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Posts
    15,956
    Blog Entries
    3
    The only thing I know about a little town I grew up in, (Yoder, Indiana) had a few different names and one was Sheridan, I believe). The WCTU (WOMEN'S CHRISTIAN TEMPERANCE UNION) was real active there because there were 13 saloons all at once. I'm thinking the empty lots in the town are where the bars were. LOL!

  22. #122
    Senior Member Ccorazone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Midlothian,Texas
    Posts
    718
    My brother, an electrical engineer, worked on the first MOON ROVER that is still resting on the Moon as I write.

    "Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

  23. #123
    Senior Member Ccorazone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Midlothian,Texas
    Posts
    718
    I also live in Midlothian, Texas, which claims to be Concrete Capital of Texas.

    "Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

  24. #124
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Just north of Cajun country
    Posts
    1,005
    I live in the Shreveport -Bossier City area of Louisiana and we are now called the Hollywood of the south because of all the movies that are made here.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.