Not so well known facts

Old 09-24-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
St. Paul, capitol city of Minnesota started off as a little French village that was visited by fur traders traveling down the Mississippi River in Indian canoes. Its first resident was Pierre Parrant, a French-Canadian voyageur. He was known as Pig's Eye. French-Swiss refugees came down the river seeking homes and landed near Pig's Eye Landing. Homes were built in European peasant style and that became Pig's Eye, Minnesota. Soon the German immigrants came and then the Swedes and Norwegians (they were the Lutherans). The town of Pig's Eye was changed eventually to St. Paul, after St. Paul (the Apostle). We became a very diverse city. We celebrate practically everyone's holiday - Oktoberfest, Svenskarnas Dag, Syttende Mai, Cinco de Mayo, and the ever popular St. Urho's Day (that's when the Finns chased the grasshoppers out of Finland). We had areas around the city, "Little Italy" and "Swede Hollow" (that is where my great aunts lived when they came to St. Paul from Sweden. My great uncle was a Police Officer for the City of St. Paul in the late 1800's/early 1900's.) The Swedes moved out and moved to the East side of St. Paul and then another group moved in and lived there until it was declared unfit for human habitation in 1950 and now it is a City Park. I have a lot of stories of when my aunts lived there - happy, sad, scary and a close knit community.

This is my city, I love it, I always have and I always will.
My husband worked for the City of St. Paul as a laborer for 34 years. We can drive around and he says "I built that", I shoveled those steps, I fixed that alley! He worked the floods in 1964 and 1968. He has put his life into St. Paul, broken bones, Hepatitis, Leukemia, stitches, herniated discs, but we still love St. Paul. We can get angry at it, and if I couldn't live here anymore, where would I go? I would go to the Amana Colonies in Iowa. It is steeped deep in my husband's family as St. Paul is steeped deep in mine!
There is one spot in St. Paul that, to me, is awesome. You can stand in one spot and make a complete 360 degree circle and see every mode of transportation - airport, the river, the railroad tracks, the bike trails, the walking paths, the roads for driving - all of this within about one block. No wonder Pig's Eye loved this area. And I do too. Edie
Awesome facts! Very interesting.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:15 AM

Batesville is located on the beautiful White River, at the foothills of the Ozark Mts. It is the home of Lyon College, the oldest college in Arkansas. (formerly Arkansas College, not the University of Arkanas.) It is the second oldest continually inhabited town in Arkansas (Helena is the oldest). Several of our former governors lived here at different times. It was the site of a little know Civil War battle, and served as both the Union and Confederate State headquarters at different times.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 AM

Bobcaygeon has Lock 32 on the Trent Canal System but was the first canal built of the 45 that join Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay --Saves many miles for personal watercraft if your boat is less than 110 ft long. Big ships have to go all thru the Great Lakes.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:08 AM

* I've heard we're arguably the Allergy Central county...
* Sunset voted us the "Happiest Place in America"
* We are the home of the 5th California Mission built in 1772.
* We are the first city to ban smoking in public buildings.
* We were the first in the country to have a Farmer's Market. It was proposed back in the 70's as a good reason to close several blocks on one of the two main one-way streets through town so as to thwart the Thursday night 'cruisers' that used to circle thru the downtown for hours. Thus an era came to an end, and another was born....
* The AMGEN bike races go right by my house!!
* Home of Cattaneo Brothers and Ray's Own beef jerky, Swiss sausage, and Linguisa! None better!!!
* Home of San Luis Sourdough Co.
* Home of California State Polytechnic University aka Cal Poly SLO

[color=blue] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=z7tgagFeVH0
Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 AM

In Richland Pa, we are in the Guiness Book for the only town in the US that still has active train tracks running thru town square. Not very interesting I think but hey it's there, might as well use it as our claim to fame..lol
Old 09-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
Ohio was the first state to enact laws protecting women in 1852. AA was started there (in Akron, my hometown) and the first police cars were used there too. Ohio is also the home state of seven presidents and Akron is/was the rubber capital of the world.
What are some cool but little known facts about where you live or come from?
don't know that historic stuff but these are important too. See it is all about food, food, food.
# 1-Kogel's Viennas-best hotdog for coneys or alone.
# 2-Highest standard for ingredients in hot dogs, no by products. Other companies have to manufacture here because they have to raise their standards.
# 3-Vernors gingerale-spoiled for anything else.
# 4-ME (lol) hahahaha
Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
Michiganders are the only ones that carry a map of their state with them at all times! LOL
good one.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 AM

Appleton, Wisconsin has a few "claims to fame"

*Harry Houdini lived in Appleton for 4 years in his childhood
*Home to Lawrence University
*Nation's first hydro-electric central station was in Appleton, beginning operation in 1882-The power plant also powered the Hearthstone House, the first residence in the world powered by a centrally located hydroelectric station
*Nations first operation of a commercially successful electric streetcar company.
*Appleton had the first telephone in Wisconsin
*Appleton had the first incandescent light in any city outside of the east coast
* First enclosed shopping mall in the United States
Old 09-24-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Originally Posted by buslady
Michiganders are the only ones that carry a map of their state with them at all times! LOL
you have to explain this one please.
If you hold out your left hand, it is shaped like the lower part of Michigan, and you can point to parts of your hand to show where places in Michigan are. My mom grew up in the "thumb" of Michigan, and can remember her showing people just where on her hand.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:01 AM

I once read in a quilting book that there was a law written in Texas long ago (I think in the 1800's) that says a lawyer has to accept quilts as payment for his fee. The article said the law is still on the books. I would love to know if that law still exists, and if it applies anywhere else.