Not so well known facts

Old 09-24-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Originally Posted by sewNso
jackson michigan had the largest walled prison in the u.s. until it closed , ohhh 6 yrs ago. it was tooo big to air condition. and the prisoners had taken the state to court and won air conditioning. sooo rather than have the cost of air conditioning such a hugeeeee building, they made smaller ones.
Aww poor babies. Aren't they in prison to be punished? Prisoners before a/c was invented managed to make it through the summer OK.
Before air conditioning, Congress could not keep in session during the summer! D. C. is basically a swamp. That same sheriff also has them living in tents, doesn't he? No a. c. there!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:18 AM

Ooo ooo! {waving} I forgot a few more!

* The first motel in the world opened here in 1925.
* Billy the Kid hid out in the county, and his stepfather is buried here.
* Jesse James and Black Bart also hid out here, raiding cattle ranches on the Central Coast.
* Zac Efron was born here.
* Home of Hearst Castle
* Cecil B. deMille buried his stage set for the 1923 film The 10 Commandments on our southern beaches...and its still there
* Earlene Fowler's books are all based on our city/county (she calls it 'San Celina')
* Home of the Pismo Clam
* James Dean died on the highway in the north-eastern corner of the county
Old 09-24-2011, 08:30 AM

I grew up in Erie, PA, which was dubbed "Dreary Erie, the mistake on the lake where the debris meets the sea." However, I remember that it was a stop on the Underground Railroad (next step Canada and freedom). There is a beautiful peninsula there with clean beaches, nature trails, a lighthouse, and a monument to Oliver Hazard Perry (Battle of Lake Erie, War of 1812). It was a wonderful place to grow up.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:45 AM

I grew up in Vancouver, WA which used to be called the "prune capital of the world" and now features wild plum trees scattered all over the city. I do miss the free plums though. Sam Elliot went to the same college I did there. "Heart" the band started out their careers as a house band at a club here called 'The Red Caboose'. Vancouver is also home to the former Kaiser shipyards, my first apartment was in one of their old buildings.
Now I live in Linn County, Oregon, the "grass growing capital of America". *Did I mention that I am allergic to grass? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by pstrwife
Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
Ohio was the first state to enact laws protecting women in 1852. AA was started there (in Akron, my hometown) and the first police cars were used there too. Ohio is also the home state of seven presidents and Akron is/was the rubber capital of the world.
What are some cool but little known facts about where you live or come from?
don't know that historic stuff but these are important too. See it is all about food, food, food.
# 1-Kogel's Viennas-best hotdog for coneys or alone.
# 2-Highest standard for ingredients in hot dogs, no by products. Other companies have to manufacture here because they have to raise their standards.
# 3-Vernors gingerale-spoiled for anything else.
# 4-ME (lol) hahahaha
Hugh Downs, Neil Armstrong, Ruby Dee, and Doris Day are from Ohio and Jeff Dahmer spent part of his childhood in Bath. Ohio ranks fourth in lime producing states. Cleveland had the first traffic light, Cincinnati the first ambulance, Hang on Sloppy is the state rock song, the Wright borthers were from Dayton, hotdogs were invented here, the first car was also made in Ohio.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:15 AM

Here are some little known facts about the State of Georgia:

When the colony was first founded in 1733 lawyers, hard liquor and catholics were banned.

Our state has had five known capitals: Savannah, Augusta, Louisville (pronouned lewisville) Milledgeville and Atlanta.

In 1842 Ether was used the first time as surgical anesthesia by Dr. Crawford Long

In 1943 Georgia became the first state to allow 18 year olds to vote. This was twenty-eight years before the 26th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified changing the voting age in all states to 18.

There are lots more... but this will do lol
Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I grew up in Vancouver, WA
Me too! In high school we used to go up to Prune Hill to drink and be rowdy teens. Now it's all housing developments. :(

It's difficult sometimes, trying to explain to people where you're from. If you say Vancouver, they assume you mean British Columbia. If you say Washington, they assume you mean District of Columbia. If you say Portland (because it's right across the river from Vancouver) they assume you mean Portland, Maine. I finally struck gold after 1980 when I was able to say I live close to Mt. St. Helens.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:21 AM

I originally came from Trenton, NJ, the capital and

I remember, as a child, an old saying going around..

...............Trenton makes, the world takes..................

................If the world refuses, Trenton uses...............
Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
Ohio was the first state to enact laws protecting women in 1852. AA was started there (in Akron, my hometown) and the first police cars were used there too. Ohio is also the home state of seven presidents and Akron is/was the rubber capital of the world.
What are some cool but little known facts about where you live or come from?
For a while, Ohio was the home state with the most people who not only wanted to leave the state, they wanted to leave the planet! (astronauts)
Old 09-24-2011, 10:44 AM

Pueblo, know as the City of Trees. Also known for Marisol chilis, which is why it has a Chili and Frijole Festival every year. The marisol chili is the only chili that does not grow pointing toward the ground, but rather looking toward the sun. Thus the name: mira sol.