Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 PM
elm

I'm not in the competition this month, but is it ok if I participate in the thread?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Hi everyone. I had my sister and her family visiting for little over a week. She is a master chef. Boy did she do some very healthy cooking. She had gastric bypass 18 mos. ago and has lost over 160 lbs. We talked alot about her food plan. She said it was all portion control now. When she cooks she doesn't measure things, she just know how much to put in. The only thing she measures is what goes on her plate. She is going to write out some of the stuff she made here and I will post them. I have lost 3lbs while she was here.
Positive thoughts out to everyone.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 PM

Of course, elm, you're always welcome.

Jeri, how nice to enjoy your sister's company and still lose weight. I'm looking forward to some of her recipes.

Pam, thank you for the clarification of Taboo Tuesday. It will be doable the way you explained. Just have to plan ahead, but that's what we need to do in any case. The end of mindless eating. Yay.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Can't sleep and decided to check in. Tomorrow is my cardiology appointment, just printed my medical history so I have it in my hot little hands. I take a copy of history, plus current meds, plus meds allergies and lists of current doctors when I go. It saves so much time and explanations.

My oxygen levels are getting lower. Today we went to Dollar Tree and yes, I walked a little, and my O2 was down to 93. It has to be 88 for oxygen to be approved by medicare. Will definitely discuss with doc in the morning.

I'm not getting updates either on this thread. I was happily surprised to see so much "chatter" awaiting me.

I cook apples and oatmeal in the crockpot overnight and eat in the morning. Very yummy on a cold morning and no sweetner because of the apples. I add raisins too.

I got me a new "old" sewing machine last week, a Singer 99. She is electric but I am wondering if I convert her to a hand crank if that would be too much exercise for me? She is really pretty, dh and I will restore her together this month on the dining room table.
I checked into that a few yrs back.They sell kits to convert them.But also found out they still sell these new from singer,and their not all that much.I have 2 antique ones, from the 1890's,and one 1921.And one is a tad smaller than the other.One works great on heavy duty jobs like canvas,where the other one works better for applique for my quilts.Being a slow non pro,I can go at my speed.And can do really intricut detailed work on the appliques.I love them for sewing.They sew like a dream.All I do is clean them out good and oil them and they are ready to go.Oh,and both my cranks are the bullet ones.Most were I think.Anyway,their great sewing machines.That's why their still around.They last for-ever! And I loved your idea of the apples and oatmeal.YUM!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:37 PM

Congratulations, when you said she was a master chef I thought you would say you fell off the wagon. Portion control that is what I am working on. I look forward to hearing some of what you learn.
Originally Posted by bjeriann
Hi everyone. I had my sister and her family visiting for little over a week. She is a master chef. Boy did she do some very healthy cooking. She had gastric bypass 18 mos. ago and has lost over 160 lbs. We talked alot about her food plan. She said it was all portion control now. When she cooks she doesn't measure things, she just know how much to put in. The only thing she measures is what goes on her plate. She is going to write out some of the stuff she made here and I will post them. I have lost 3lbs while she was here.
Positive thoughts out to everyone.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy1
I wish us all much success this month. I enjoy reading the posts here and hope that those in ill health improve everyday. So far I have continued the downward slope and am motivated to keep doing what I am doing. Although I do want to up the water intake. I know it will be good for all my systems.
Yes,we've all said drink,drink,drink,lots of water.It fills us up and flushes out the fat.I drink a qt in a 30 minute window 3 X a day at a minimum.That 30 minute one flushes the fat out because it's not a sip here,or a sip there.YTou may not need a qt 3 x a day.They say drink 1/2 your weight in oz of water.Like me at 250 pounds.needed 125 oz a day at a minimum.Now at 160 pounds,I only need 80 oz.But do way more than that.Because I need it.Good luck.And hang in there.You CAN do it!I did it,and so did Purplemarm and also Lynn has lost a lot on here,as well as nancia,irishrose,and a lot of others.Missy has done great.We can do it if we get tired of lugging it around and mainly for health reasons.Hang in there!!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the tip Glassnquilts, I'll have to let my dh know about that. He's tried the prescription meds for it, and they just make him feel really ill, so if he can do it on his own he'd like that. :-)

jlwheart-My father in law has RA too, and exercise helped him a ton. I hope that doing your new workout will help you feel a lot better too.

bjeriann- How awesome that your sister was cooking nice healthy meals and visiting you, I would love to hear some recipes too. I'm not a very inventive cook, so it's nice to see ideas from others.

elm-Join on in, the more the merrier!

The last few days I have been trying to fight off this stupid cold I think I caught from going to a car show this weekend. Now I remember why I usually avoid crowds. LOL You guys inspired me to go through the closets a bit today and see what needed to be taken out or replaced for the winter season.

I'm not sure I could go completely no snacks. I still have one snack usually towards the end of the evening, but it's healthier than it used to be. My goal for this week is going to be drinking plenty of fluids, since I don't want to be any sicker than I am.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws
I am sitting here in the hosptipal wide awake, so wishing and desiring to be home in my bed. Although mom won't let me go to my place yet. I will be staying in the main house.

My son and DIL while they were here over the weekend, cleaned up my apartment didn't mess with any of the sewing area (fabric, etc)

I am feeling so much better so ready to be healed from this thoracotomy. It will be a challange to get use to only having 1/3 lung on the right. Being a respiratory therapist I know you can live with just one lung. It is great to be alive.

I defenitely will have a different prospective on when my job when I go back to work towards my patients.

MJ you need to follow your doctors orders always.
Glad your doing ok.I am wishing you a speedy recovery and know you will go on and live a much better life having done it.They took 1 lung from my uncle,and he lived another 35 yrs afterwards.And did great.Keep us posted on your healing and am glad you explained it to us so we could understand it better.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ljs317
Sorry I'm getting here to late to join but I will just lurk and try to maintain and lose more.
Lisa
The main thing is your here.We all have to start somewhere.For me it was when I reached 250.I was a fat miserable self pitying soul.And just got tired of it one day when I realized I couldn't fit under the steering wheel easily as I had.Something snapped and I said that's it!And I began me journey of a 1000 miles just 1 step or 3 pounds a month.I changed all my eating habits and dropped all the junk foods and went on TV dinners and a green salad.It's now 4 yrs later,and I am down to 160.So 93 pounds.So little pounds are important,and even if I mess up.I just get up and keep going.Like now,I'm still fighting for every pound even worse lately.But am determined from the help of this board to win the battle.I can do it.I just need to keep going.And you can do it too,if I can.So,late or not.The important thing is.getting started.Good luck.I am losing weight,I am!It's the food I don't eat that is my diet! {Fill your plate,and scrape 1/2 off back into the bowls}>
Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jlwheart
Hi, this is my post for 1st week in Oct. Saw dr. today and all is going well. I'm wanting to get to my gym to do my workout in the therapy pool. Rheumatoid arthritis has really hobbled me this last year but with PT, I got a workout that will help - if I do it. So I'm committing to go Wed. to T.pool. My goal for food is no unplanned eating as I'm a compulsive overeater. Good luck to everyone - I really enjoy being a part of Oct.s challenge.
We did an introduction a few months ago.And there was a LOT of us who are disabled,handycapped,and have life threatning ailments.Most were in total pain too.Several have knee surgeries recently.Some can barley walk.Like MJ a few times.But we still try to do the best we can.And MJ lost 40 pounds.Lynn has lost down to 135 pounds I think.She was once 160 like me just this summer.And had a knee surgery to boot.We must be a beastly crew.We are determined to not let anything get in our way.So know how hard it is to exercise and lose weight.I have a bad back to where I can't move from the pain at times.And can't stand for very long periods.It kills me.Yet have lost 93 pounds myself from just my food changes.I broke old bad habits and got new ones.MJ said it takes 21 days to make or break a habit.So we can re-train ourselves with help of this thread.We are here for you all,as you all are here for all of us.We will do it.This is a long month,so we have time to do it.In fact how are you doing on the 5 pound challeng?I haven't lost any yet,but plan on getting it off this week.By next monday,I want my 5 pounds off!And I know I can do it.I just have to work extra hard at it as I'm on some pills that make me hungry.So have to not eat or give in to it.I can do it.I done it before.I'll drink lots of water and eat lots of raw veggies for low calorie bulk.And make a soup with a head of cabbage and other veggies for a filler too.Then the weight will fall off.So,do it too and lets get the 5 pounds off by next week.Then I'll start my next 5.LOL!>>>>>>>>>>>>Wish me luck!