An odd request

Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM

I agree it will be a PITA and I think I would pass on that request. At best I would make bows with the leotards and tack them on appliqued ballet shoes made with cotton
Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 PM

I too think I would pass on making the leotards into a quilt. I'd suggest that she makes a rag rug out of the leotards. I don't think the stretch would cause any problems with 'a rug'.

I've tried making things that were experimental--and can only say that they just don't turn out as well as using the right materials. Also they seem to be tossed because they don't work as well. Why spend all the time and energy it takes to make a quilt into some thing you don't think will work well in the beginning?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 PM

If this is new for you I would pass on a commission quilt. If this was an experiment quilt for you I would say go for it. I would also say go for it if you had done this type of quilt before. I have had my girls in dance and the leotards are not cheap and I have all kinds from basic to velvet to fancy. Because she's wanting to preserve them unless I was confident I would not take the responsibility of that first cut. What if she hates it? what if you get started and realize it's not possible and you've already cut one or two leos up....do you have to compensate far beyond what you think it's worth? I've found when things are commissioned some people forget that they are being made by a human and not a robot if that makes sense. That's why I'm chicken and don't quilt for anyone but me and gifts!! I wish you the best and I want to see it if you decide to take it on!!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 AM

How about going in a different direction? How about doing a picture (memory) quilt instead? Ask mom for pictures of her daughter wearing the tights and costumes, and then making a quilt incorporating the different pictures?

Just a suggestion from WI.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by SEGASAL View Post
I have a friend who's child is in dance and she wants me to take her leotards and make them into a quilt. They are lycra and nylon I am not sure this could be done because of the stretch in the leotard. Has anyone does this before?
APPLIQUE!!!! the leotards on to a quilt (like you do with baby things). Lycra doesn't like HOT irons, you'll end up with a "HOT MESS". But applique will work. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:00 AM

I have a hard time saying "no" but in this case I believe it's in order! You could experiment but I believe you would be "pulling your hair out"!!!!LOL
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM

Myself I couldn't or wouldn't do it, but wold love to see pics if you dare do it! Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:58 PM

I would say no. I personally couldn't deal with the frustration.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by SEGASAL View Post
I have a friend who's child is in dance and she wants me to take her leotards and make them into a quilt. They are lycra and nylon I am not sure this could be done because of the stretch in the leotard. Has anyone does this before?
May you could try some "Steam a Seam" and see if that would work.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:17 PM

I would agree. I'm sure there are some really nice cotton fabrics related to her dancing that would be a much better choice.