Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh this cat is driving me NUTS!!!!!

I have a 7 month old kitty that we saved from death when mom abandoned him under our shed. I also have a 19 year old boy that has arthritis and is not a happy camper much any more. Well the baby constantly attacks the old man and tries to ride him like a horse. The poor old boy who has been a social guy his whole life has taken to hiding all around the house to stay away from the brat. I have prayed him and yelled and I usually have to lock one of them on the porch or in another room to keep them separate. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to keep this bratty boy from tormenting the old man to his death?

I'm sorry, Kwhite, I don't have a solution....but I've gotten a good chuckle out of it. OMG, sometimes I think those animals know exactly what they're doing!!! I'm so sorry about your son and for the mental (and physical) anguish this kitten can cause. I used to have a cat that laid in wait for me (only me for some reason) to walk by a doorway so he could leap onto my ankle or leg. I became paranoid everytime I had to go to another room, so I literally walked around with a spray bottle. I referred to him as The Crazy Thing.

maybe another kitty, so he'll leave the old cat alone!

Ninnie

I just feel so badly for my old man. He has had such a good and peacfull life and now in his old age to be tormented like this is just so sad.

Ninnie NO!!!!!

:oops: Hehe, when you said 19 year old boy, I thought to myself, "Geez, that's young to have bad arthritis!" Hehe. :oops:

But as to the idea of a new cat, Bennie still attacked me even though we had Otis, who was just a few months younger.

squirt gun, most learn quick :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    :oops: Hehe, when you said 19 year old boy, I thought to myself, "Geez, that's young to have bad arthritis!" Hehe. :oops:

But as to the idea of a new cat, Bennie still attacked me even though we had Otis, who was just a few months younger.

He he he. I wish!!!

Ruth this cat spends most days soaked. He just is so stubborn. He doesn't seem to get it. It is so bad that when I use the spray bottle to do any ironing he bolts out of the room. If he see it he runs but he still goes after the old man every chance he gets.

He just needs someone nearer his own age to wrestle with... sorry... but I think that's the problem.. he just wants a playmate. We tire our babies out with a laser light... a very vigorous game of "chase" might help tire him out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    He just needs someone nearer his own age to wrestle with... sorry... but I think that's the problem.. he just wants a playmate. We tire our babies out with a laser light... a very vigorous game of "chase" might help tire him out.
    We use those and flashlights to tire out the pets...maybe get him a stuffed animal to attack and play with, too???

I vote for a stuffed animal that you rub with catnip and give to him. He sounds like he needs more attention. Some cats are just like that. I have 5 cats, and one is so pesky! She WANTS the dog to go after her! She chases the other cats, and meows loudly when the dog goes after her, and when I pick her up and she meows. This loud meow is not a hurt noise, or anything, but just a noise she makes when she is getting her way! She bats at me when I push her away, and she bites me! She really is a brat cat! When she was a kitten, a friend carried her around in her apron bib, or inside her sweatshirt, and now she expects that ALL THE TIME, and she is 8 years old!

Have the little one nutred,or is he too young?

Ninnie NO!!!!![/quote]

Are you sure? Cause I want you to be sure! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Ninnie

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I had exactly this problem! I ended up going to petsmart and getting a kitten for my kitten. Sorry, that's the only option! Here's a photo of Bob riding Tuffy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kitten is bored and wants to play and the only playmate he sees like him is your "old man".
    I'd try the squirt gun. Never worked on Big Boy, he would look at it and dare us to squirt him! lol
    Maybe some toys for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky

Not really, artheritus comes in different forms both early and late in life in both animals and ppl; like me i m born with artheritus, now i m 30 in a 60 + y olds body :?

i agree with Ninnie; another cat,lol
    or you can get him a cat tunnel, something 2 climb on, make sure you play with him loads, get a fsihrode for cats to play with. drag him around when he is lying on teh carpet etc.

i have 2 cats, mum is 3 years, daughter is half of that ish, they ride eacother silly monkeys :mrgreen:

Yep I agree -- the younger kitty just wants lots of attention. He probably doesn't sleep as much as the older one either.

You could get a kitten for the kitten and leave the "old man" in his own room with his own litter box and food. Or put the kitten out in the garage or enclosed porch.

Have you called your vet and asked for their advice??

He is fixed. That didn't calm him at all. He bolts around here so fast he just drops and pants like a dog sometimes.

This is my daughters cat. She moved out and told us we will only need to keep him until she gets a place where she can keep him. no longer then THREE YEARS!!!

I had a home for him when he was 8 weeks and healthy enough to go out of the house, but I was vetoed by the DH and DD coalition.

I guess I will just have to wear him out. He is insane. I wish he would see the YorkiePoo as a playmate. She would have him running for cover.

I love him and the old man but I am just more of a dog person then cats.

Oh you do not want to hear what the DH said to the suggestion of another kitten!!!!

I have read that another kittie of about the same age will keep the kitten busy and let the old man enjoy his peace.

My Satchmo is ALWAYS starting fights with his brother, and he does not play friendly! When he does it I grab him by the scruff of the neck and carry him into the spare bedroom, whilst saying 'NO' in a strong, loud voice. Then I shut the door and leave him there in 'time out' for about 10-15 mins. When I let him out I will put him next to Kitchen and stroke them both for a moment or two so they know they are both loved. I think in my case it is jealousy between the two. Since I've being doing that Satchmo is not nearly as bad with his attacks!

Your kitten may be suffering from an excess of energy, for which the time out is a good idea. Or it maybe the age old instincts (like Lions) where the young, healthy male forces the old, past his prime male out of the pride :( Either way, you need to show the young'un that his behaviour is not acceptable, and cats hate being ignored.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Oh you do not want to hear what the DH said to the suggestion of another kitten!!!!
    Tell DH that your house is a democracy. Majority rules. And You, and both kitties vote for another kitten. 3 to 1, No contest, Shaddup and go sulk in a corner. He'll get glad in the same pants he got mad in. Eventually.

You will think I am mean...

I used to put lemon juice in the squirt bottle with my German Shepherd (God rest his soul!). He was a very stubborn "alpha" male type of dog and I tried everything to get him to listen. Lemon juice worked--very diluted, but worked.

He got squirted once in the eyes and he learned to fear that stupid squirt bottle. in fact, I could put it in a doorway and he wouldn't enter the room.

Rose Hall

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Tell DH that your house is a democracy. Majority rules. And You, and both kitties vote for another kitten. 3 to 1, No contest, Shaddup and go sulk in a corner. He'll get glad in the same pants he got mad in. Eventually.
    LOL Love the pants thing. The heck of it is that I am the one that did not want this kitten, but I am the one to stay home and referee the fights. Isn't it always the way. I might try the lemon juice. If I am not yelling at him and taking him to time out I am holding the old man cause he is either hiding or in my lap.

Celeste PM'd me and asked if I had seen this thread? I had not. DH and I have fostered 70 kitties and no two are the same and no two react the same to similar situations so I can't offer much help at all. I have a foster kitty named "Bunny" who is wild and supercharged at 10 months old. Her siblings were adopted but she decided she already had her forever home so on adoption day she hissed, spit, slapped and growled at anyone who gave her a second glance...big surprize, nobody was willing to take her home. At our house she is darling, sweet, wild and friendly. We also have an 8 year old kitty and a 4 year old kitty...the 8 year old doesn't want to be bothered but Bunny is super, super pesty and won't give up trying to get him to play with her. I have been unable to help our old guy until we got these last 3 foster babies last week ...now the little kittens are keeping Bunny busy and she LOVES her babies and her babies LOVE her. They play and play and the older kitties don't have to worry about being pounced on, cut off at every turn or batted at anytime they walked within 20 feet of Bunny. Another kitty or two would probably help with the delema that you are faced with with your younger guy and old man.

Thanks so much. I don't know what I will do. I have over $500.00 in this kitten since Oct and don't have a job, so another kitten is really out of the question. I will just have to find out what his favorite games are and become his new best pal so he will let the old man live out his last weeks in peace.

I have never had kittens so I don't really know how they play. It seems the brat is attacking the old man. I think it is more to do with the "killing the weak and sickly members to keep the health of the pack" but I might be all wet.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast