Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oh My Gosh..Ants!  You wouldn't guess where! >

Oh My Gosh..Ants! You wouldn't guess where!

Oh My Gosh..Ants! You wouldn't guess where!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM

it seems every Feb. we get ants! I did forget about this happening, but thanks for reminding me.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Oh yuck...now I find they're in our wardrobe as well!! Now I have to empty that out and spray and clean them out of there too. And probably wash everything! Although I don't think they're actually in the clothes themselves. Yuck, this is getting worse

And yes Nativetexan, we did put the vacuum cleaner outside last night...lol
Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM

We had a bad invasion of flying ants. Someone said, Are you sure they aren't termites? Yeah, I was, because they also invaded the parking lot where I worked, and we had to wash the car off when I got home before I could get out. I sprayed steadily daily for two weeks before i got the best of them. With the dogs, we can't put Ambro out in the yard, but we pour boiling water on the hills, and it kills them. Sprinkle talc where you see them inside...they hate it.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 PM

Ewwwwww. Your story is making my skin crawl right now!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:12 AM

I'm so glad I'm reading this at 7 in the morning. This is making my skin crawl also. I'll have all day to get those images out of my brain before it gets dark - that's when the imagination is most active. You know, what's that noise? that shadow? those sorts of things!!!! I always thought that when I grew older the 'stuff' in the closet and under my bed would go away - they just grew older with me. We had a live in maid when I was a little girl and she always told me if I didn't keep my sheet over me, something (whatever that was - and in my little girl imagination it was bad) would get my toes. To this day (and I've been collecting social security for awhile), I need the sheet over my legs when I go to bed, no matter how hot the night might be. Man, the imprint....
Old 02-07-2012, 06:07 AM

we have started having ants already this year, one good this is that ants do not carry any diseases, unlike other insects, they are just pesky little things, use chalk, draw a chalk line around your window around the floor of your room around the legs of your bed, much safer than poison, if it kill ant and hangs around you and you husband are absorbing it through breathing or getting it on your skin, the ants wont cross the chalk. Plus I would check my mattress and box springs to see what they found so facinating to move in there in the first place, are they inside them, and why, I will ask a lady that I work for about it, Here husband was called the Ant man at cornell U. and did extensive research all over the world and she worked with him. Ill let you know what I find out. She is always telling me dont worry they dont each much, ant humor, she is from austraila orginally, so she might know what kind of ants they are.

Last edited by toadmomma; 02-07-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Had ants a few years ago and kept having the bug man come out. He said just killing the ants I saw was not going to work and put some little plastic ant traps things out. They were just small black plastic enclosed containers that had some sort of poison food in them. The worker ants take it back to their main nest and the egg laying ants or ant (bad at animal biology) eat this and it kills the entire nest. Any time I see an ant in the house out come new ant houses. You can buy these at the grocery store. Much better than spray.

mltquilt
Old 02-07-2012, 07:14 AM

Heebee-jeebes here.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Have any of you seen the show Infested on TV. I watched a few episodes the other night and couldn't get those images out of my mind. One was scorpions, another had possums invade her home, the worse one was bird mites. They couldn't get rid of them and ended up leaving the house with just the clothes on their backs. It was a rental and they left their furniture and everything. Scary that the bugs are getting used to everything we use to kill them with. We use a spray all around the barrier of the house and down in the basement around the walls to keep things to a minimum. Our problem was those big black spiders that looked like they could carry a small child away! The front porch was so bad we had to constantly watch when we were sitting out there. It's been under control for a few years now but it isn't easy getting rid of stuff!
Good luck with your ant problem. They can be so invasive!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 AM

Wow! Lucky it was not 'Fire Ants' we have fire ants here in the USA. They are small but can kill a small Deer! I know you all so have some 'Bad' types of creepy crawlers your way too! If what the TV shows are telling are true!