Online Dating..Opinions.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM

I had a VERY GOOD experience over all with online dating.
I met my wonderful husband on Match.com 6 years ago.
That's not to say I didn't meet some creeps.
My opinion is: if you are the type of person that's 'been around the block' a couple times, ( I am)and you're honest with yourself & the people you interact with; and why not. what do you have to lose.. and of course be careful, there are creeps out there.. I think it can be a good experience. online dating is great for getting you exposed to the biggest possible group of people so you have the chance to 'find someone'
Good luck!
Old 03-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
I met my husband via an online dating service in 2002. We married a year later in 2003. I think it's a super way to meet someone...but you may meet a lot of frogs in the process.

Since you fill out a profile (and there's no sense in lying about anything), you are ahead of the game by already knowing you have things in common. Be upfront with your thoughts and desires for your future.

As they suggested...
Exchange emails / phone calls - stick to 1st names for a while. If he doesn't like that, too bad.
Don't hide what you are doing from your family and friends. It's very important that others know about your quest ... just in case
Do exchange face pictures -- then modest full body pictures (if your grandmother can't see it then don't send it!)
Meet in a public place say at lunch time or something...that way you have to be somewhere else at a set time and gives you a good reason to have a time limit for the first meeting.
Do have a friend call you in about 1 hr after your next meeting time. Have a "code" word that means all is good or call back and get me out of this date.
Do have money and your ID on you at all times. If things get freaky, you need to be able to get home on your own. I always kept a $20, my VISA & license in my bra (I'm endowed, lol)
Don't be afraid to see several people at the same time...it is called "dating" like in the old days were you could see many people and it not be a big deal. However, be up front and tell them you do plan on seeing others for awhile.
Don't fall for the first guy you meet!!!!! It's a huge pond and you need to wade around a bit.
If your cats/dogs/kids don't like him, then take the hint. Life is too short to have to play referee with them.

Be safe, be careful, be selective, be smart, be yourself, be someone you'd like to be around, be honest, be modest.

Don't be fooled, don't be clingy, don't be whiny, don't tell about your past boyfriends/relationships, don't worry so much.

Good luck!
I LOVE this!!! Good advice....all of it.

I too met my DH on a Christian dating site. There was such a detailed profile to fill out, no one who is not a real Christian person could fake it. No way. I found him in the first 7 days on the site. We e-mailed and then chatted online for 7 weeks. Then we did the lunch date thing, that lasted into early evening. I did not show him where I lived. He lived 125 miles away, and he came over to do afternoon/early evening dates for 6 weeks. Then we started getting more serious. I introduced him to my family 5 months after I met him...I wanted to be SURE this time before I got anyone else emotionally involved with him! He's the real deal, all right!! We are happily married, and I wouldn't want others to be discouraged from trying this.

AGAIN----CAUTION!!! Use your common sense and heed any red warning flags that pop up!! Good luck!!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 PM

There's always pros and cons! Just take every precaution you can...the world we live in has changed and there are some very sick people out there. But also some "princes" waiting in the wings.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

Don't like,or newspaper ads either. have heard of dreadful problems with both, including the odd chaps found!!!!!!!!!!
are there such places as dating agencies these days-------------whatever you decide PLSE BE CAREFUL.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:11 PM

A lot of people have found the love of thier life online. I really do not see anything wrong with it. Of course, being female you have to be careful, but that goes without saying for all types of dating be it online or not. Women have been raped and killed by their husbands, on dates with people who live in the same city, etc., it is not just a rule for online dating - to be careful that is. Use your own judgement, keep a level head, and just do not give out personal information to every Tom, Dick, or Harry. lollll
Old 03-20-2011, 06:22 AM

I would also see if you can find out anything about him online search sexual offenders pages for his state find anything you can about him look at his facebook page check out his friends and anyone you see posted on his page to see if they say anything online about him research research research
Old 03-20-2011, 11:03 PM

I would highly recommend eHarmony.com. My husband and I met through that site and they caution you about giving out your # or address until you are sure you can trust that person with the info. I felt very safe talking with many men on that site. My husband and I were both widow and widower and have been happily married for almost 7 years.
Go for it, just use your common sense!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 PM

I've been married for four years to the man i met online - however, our first "in person" meeting was in a very public, very crowded place (and my sister knew where I was, who I was with, and when I'd be back). I think it can work (obviously) but you have to use your common sense. And really, you can meet a psycho anywhere.