Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Opal Jane - Not the way I planned to spend a Sunday morning

I woke up this morning with chest pains. Nothing severe but I definitely knew something was wrong. After breakfast the pain was still in my chest and now heading towards my shoulder. Of course I went on my favorite website (webmd) to do some research....bottomline my self diagnosis was angina. I remained calm as I told my husband I think we need to go to the hospital as I am not feeling well. I have to remain calm because he panics easily and does not have a poker face. After EKG, blood work and chest Xrays there is nothing heart related causing the pain. At this point the dr. said it could be muscular/skeltal or the beginning stages of shingles. What? Not shingles.....no way...I was sent home with pain meds and was told to contact my dr. if the chest pain got worse or if I break out in hives on my chest within 72 hours (signs of shingles). Pain is still there but I am able to tolerate somewhat as I am no longer getting myself all worked up that it was heart related. Just had to talk about it as I have no family close by to talk with. After I take the pain med, I think I'll veg out in front of the T.V. and try to work on my english paper piecing project.

Blog Entries
    Shingles? My late DH didn't have this kind of pain with shingles, but people have varied symptoms. Relax and take care yourself. I pray you feel better soon.

WOW, take it easy. Glad you went to the hospital.

I assume they ruled out acid reflux? I get similar discomfort with acid reflux.

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear it wasn't heart related. And I hope it isn't shingles and maybe just stress related. Keep us posted.
    hugs,
    Melinda in Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950

Yep, felt the same way. Elephant on the chest, sweating, arm tingling...... Acid reflux after all the tests.....

Sure hope it's not the shingles... They are painful!

Blog Entries
    I'm so glad you went to the doctor right away.. Please do keep us informed throughout the day.

Blessings on you......

Blog Entries
    hmmmmm another one of those "take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning" diagnosis. Don't you just HATE THEM...I do.

I've never heard of shingles starting out as CHEST PAIN within the body....tingling, itching, burning ON the skin - yes.

E.T.A. IF YOU DO BREAK OUT IN A RASH GO RIGHT BACK TO THE E.R. AND GET MEDS...Don't waste time - getting medicine for shingles outbreak RIGHT AWAY in ***IMPORTANT***

Have you tried taking something for acid reflux - even if it's just a can of pop? to help make you belch.

Hope doctors are wrong on all ideas and it's something very simple and will go away on it's own. I too will watch for your updates.

Power Poster
    And if you still feel "wonky" - go back to the ER again.

People sometimes get incorrect diagnoses -

Hope your'e feeling better soon

Glad you did not have heart issues....I've known several people that have had shingles and they said they were very painful..Hope this is not the case for you......Take care of you....Keep us posted....

My first thought was acid reflux. Glad it is not heart related.

My dad had shingles and it was (and continues)to be very painful. His started out with tiny red bump on back of head. Doctor thought it was bug bite he itched. Too late found out it was shingles. There is a med you can take but in very early stages of shingles.
    So tomorrow morning please get yourself into your doctors for a correct diagnosis. Please! (I realize you went to er, but doctors can make mistakes-re: my dad's doc not recognizing his case of shingles early enough for med to help)
    Whatever it is, you need a doctor that recognizes the symptoms and gets you on correct path to healing.
    Kat

Hope you're feeling better very soon and that it turns out to be just one of those weird things that turn out to be absolutely nothing.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I, too, think it might be acid reflux because I have had the same symptoms. Once I started on the acid relfux meds, my symptoms disappeared. Take care.

Blog Entries
    I just went to the hospital last week under the same circumstances. They suggested heart spasms due to heat OR acid reflux...

I have also had those kinds of pain with fibromyalgia, they called it chest wall pain, had the tingling, etc. When I am stressed and overtired it will flair.

I hope you feel better.

I'm glad your ok and yes when chest pain keeps coming and radiates its best to get it checked out. I have unstable angina and we control that with meds, but my EKG's are normally normal- mine was picked up on a holter monitor they made me wear for 24 hours, it records your hearts system and then they read it afterwards. It could be gastric related too because they both use the same muscle group, thats why a lot of people think their having a heart attack but its reflux related instead.

I'm praying for ya that its not shingles! Those are horrible to have my grandfather had them to the point he couldn't wear a shirt because it made him hurt. Prayers for you that everything will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950

Yep, felt the same way. Elephant on the chest, sweating, arm tingling...... Acid reflux after all the tests.....

Sure hope it's not the shingles... They are painful!
    Yep, been there done that also...got some major reflux issues. Also last summer had shingles...they were on my neck and up into my hair ... meds for that were just over $200 but supposedly kept them at a minimum outbreak. Pain can be signals before the breakout.

Remember ****** shingles will not give someone else shingles **** BUT**** will give someone chicken pox if they have not had them. I was quarantined for several days because a lady at work had not had chicken pox (and my head hurt so bad I couldn't have worked anyway).

Check with your regular doctor tomorrow regardless what the ER said.

Hope you feel better soon. I had chest pain one night, really thought I was going to have to wake up DH and go to the ER. I took an aspirin and it went away. Next night, same thing but I could sleep sitting up in the recliner. I think it was a temporary hiatal hernia (I had been doing heavy work and strained some stomach muscles).

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    I have also had those kinds of pain with fibromyalgia, they called it chest wall pain, had the tingling, etc. When I am stressed and overtired it will flair.

I hope you feel better.
    I have had this too. Nice to know it has a name.

Hope you feel better soon

When I had shingles, at age 35, I thought I had torn something in my lower shoulder. It felt like I had torn a ligament or broken an upper rib. It was no fun.

My Dh had shingles at age of 33. His was around the top of his shoulders. We had no idea what it was at first and our 4 y/o contracted chicken pox from her dad's shingles, then my other 3 got it and unfortunately it ran thru their elementary school. We had no idea that you could spread chicken pox from shingles

Blog Entries
    A case of shingles if a breakout of the chicken pox virus that is laying dormant from when the person had chicken pox as a child.

a regular here
    Please take care of your self. Follow up with your family Dr. in the AM. Better to be safe than sorry.....Susan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    A case of shingles if a breakout of the chicken pox virus that is laying dormant from when the person had chicken pox as a child.
    I didn't realize that. So if a person has not had the chicken pox before, does this mean that they should not get shingles?

Blog Entries
    I hope you feel better, soon!

Blog Entries
    Oh my, you don't want the shingles. Had a case in Jan. 2009, Dr. mis-diagnosed. Had them from the back of my neck all the way down my left arm. Couldn't raise my arm for over a yr. , damaged the nerve in my neck that tells you to raise your arm. Still have pain in upper part of arm, where they were the worse. Was on pain meds for 3 months. Had a nerve test done in Feb 2010 and about 3 weeks later, just raised my arm one day. Glory be, that was something. Guess the shocking of the nerve test woke up the damaged nerve. I still don't have complete range with it, but it's better than nothing...They have a vaccine out, and advise anyone 65 or over to get it. But once you have the shingles you can't take the shot..Bummer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast