Orthodic Inserts

Old 07-21-2013, 07:43 AM

I also work in a warehouse. The expensive-for-Walmart ones that you step onto the machine to fit work well for me, but should be replaced every six months to a year. I also wear foot cushions on top of that. We are required to wear steel toed boots, or I would chuck the whole thing for Sketchers.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:33 AM

I wear the New Balance 1123 and they are made so that orthotics will fit into the shoes and not make the shoes too small. New Balance shoes are the only brand I've found that make a women's 2E/ww.
Sharon
Old 07-21-2013, 05:54 PM

I wear new ballance 928 with the walk fit inserts. For some shoe sizes you can get the walk fits at Target in the pharmacy department. For only $20 us worth a try. I was bothered by plantar facitis and the walk fit worked better than the $200 inserts from the doctor. It comes with 3 arch sizes. Even bought my sons some and they also love them.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:58 PM

I too have orthotics from the podiatrist. They are wonderful. I have a pair for my New Balance (I take out their insert and add mine) and he has also made sandels for me. I have Noat and Birkenstein with the inserts in them. I can wear these all day. Luckily my insurance covers 2 sets a year. He also told me the higher the number for New Balance the better they will be for your feet. He was right. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:56 PM

QuilterJ, I, too, have flat feet. I have used off the shelf orthotics in the past, but am now wearing an old pair of Nike running shoes with no orthotics and the original insert taken out. They're ugly, but my feet hurt less in them.

Now I have to add to this post that I also have an inherited neuropathy and arthritis in my right foot. I don't think there is an orthotic out there that can fully relieve my foot pain.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:05 PM

This is generally good advice. However, I did go to a shoe store that specialized in hard to fit feet and filled orthotic prescription shoes. All I got from them was the same old shoes I could buy anywhere, but they wanted to pad the heck out of them in an attempt to force them to fit. Needless to say, I did not buy shoes from them.

I have long, narrow feet - 10.5 length with a AAAAA width, which is very hard to find. Putting me in a B or D width shoe and padding it doesn't work. I know because I have had to do that with almost every shoe I ever wore. If I'm going to pay big bucks for a shoe, it is going to fit my foot without all that extra padding.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

My Podiatrist said my feet bones were becoming squatted as I have more bones then normal in my foot, accessory ossiclean, and that was causing my foot pain. I bought inserts from him and they have helped a lot. If your foot/feet hurt when resting and not so much when walking then you may have squatted feet, inserts will be your friend.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 PM

I have a very small foot, extra high instep and super narrow heel. It is hard to fit my foot for shoes, much less for inserts. Spend what it takes for a Dr to write you an Rx. The only feet you will ever have are at the end of your legs, and if you don't take care of them they will hurt you
Old 07-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Went to Wally world and stepped on the 'tester' and bought the inserts recommended. I have nerve damage on the bottom of my right foot - and those inserts work wonderfully for me. I can't walk barefoot or without the inserts, or I feel it. Plus, I've discovered that if I haven't been drinking enough water, my foot will start hurting even with the insert. So I make sure I drink enough water, wear my inserts and I'm good to go. I work in a job where I'm on my feet a lot during the day, so its a blessing to be able to do it without all the pain. Everybody is different - had the inserts not worked, then a custom shoe store would have been my next stop. My DH paid over $300 for a pair several years ago - and I didn't want to go that way unless I absolutely HAD to....
Old 07-21-2013, 11:26 PM

I too wear new balance. the ones i wear have a stabilizer in the heels! Helps me not to fall! Love em!