Orthotic Shoe Inserts

Old 06-06-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by dream56
Tried walk fit and really didn't like them - they are very hard, but do have a great arch support. Quit using them when foot doctor suggested orthodic ones custom fit by foot doctor. My insurance paid all but $100 of them but you can move them from dhoe to shoe and now no more foot problems of any kind. Well worth the money spent.
i have custom fit from dr cant do with out them a god send for sure
Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

If "shelf" inserts work for you ... great!
Though most of us don't have "shelf" feet!

Custom inserts are the best thing, as they are just that ... made custom for your foot. If you're going that route, be sure to deal with a certified Podiatrist/Chiropodist, as s/he is your Foot Dr. Many who are making orthotics have taken a weekend course, so do you think they have the knowledge to identify problems?

I wore store inserts, then graduated to custom made via the chiropractor who got it thru a supplier ... and thought I was doing right. Didn't last, and didn't solve my problems.

At last, a new chiro admitted she could supply me, but knew I had more problems than she could really identify or correct. She nudged me to the "right" place, the podiatrist, and wow what a difference. Yes more $ though if I'd gone there first, I would have a whole bunch of $$$$.

Yes, I pout, as my orthotics do not fit in pretty shoes! though my feet are much happier, which makes for a happier me .... so vanity, out the window with you! :)
Old 06-06-2011, 05:19 AM

I wear Merril's also. BUT THAT SAID, (and they are great) do not just buy pricely inserts. Go to a foot doctor. Never dreamed how much good a foot doc can do in assess your REAL problem and showing you what is needed.

I had custom made inserts done - pricey. But between Merrils, and inserts for other shoes, my feet feel sooooooo much better!

JUlie
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 AM

I live in cowboy boots and am never closer to a horse than maybe watching a western on tv! lol! I wear a 9AA shoe and have a high arch - and around 25 yrs ago had a bad accident and went to a chiropractor and he told me my back was too straight and it needed to be forced into an S curve and cowboy boots were perfect for this. (the heels are the right height and slant) Even a guy I worked with who only wore cb boots said they were great and I should try them way before the chiro told me - after I tried on my first pair I was hooked. I stood up and it was as if I took a magic pill! I had chronic back pain for a long time - first step, it was such a relief to my back muscles they felt like jelly. When I wear boots all day at night when I take them off I cannot walk at all - my back completely shuts down until it adjusts to the shift in my legs. If I need a sneaks I only wear New Balance with inserts, and I got inserts like they show on tv, only at a mall store, I think they cost me 20$ but are worth it. If I get dressed up I have to waer a shoe with at least a 3" heel - never ever can I wear flats and I seldom walk barefoot, even house shoes are heeled. sharet
(oh, yes, if you need them inserts are wonderful! once you find what works with your feet/back it will change your life - no pain!)
Old 06-06-2011, 05:24 AM

I don't wear the inserts since they take up room in the shoe to the point where I can't wear both. However I did 'invest' in some SAS shoes which have an insert for more cushion & arch support.

The shoes are made to handle both the insert & your foot. They are definitely worth the cost. (I'm on my feet most of the day so I can testify to how good they are).
Old 06-06-2011, 05:27 AM

I had problems with one heel for a long time - plantar facitis. I started wearing New Balance tennis shoes and have not had problems for years now. They are the best shoes!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redkimba
I don't wear the inserts since they take up room in the shoe to the point where I can't wear both. However I did 'invest' in some SAS shoes which have an insert for more cushion & arch support.

The shoes are made to handle both the insert & your foot. They are definitely worth the cost. (I'm on my feet most of the day so I can testify to how good they are).
AS you discovered ... no, not all shoes will hold an insert and still be wearable!

I have had luck with Reikers, Mephisto, Birkenstock, NAOT, Clark Waves, Finn Comfort ... and some others I can't think of right now.

I have the custom made inserts, plus a custom made full footbed insert for sandals.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
If "shelf" inserts work for you ... great!
Though most of us don't have "shelf" feet!

Custom inserts are the best thing, as they are just that ... made custom for your foot. If you're going that route, be sure to deal with a certified Podiatrist/Chiropodist, as s/he is your Foot Dr. Many who are making orthotics have taken a weekend course, so do you think they have the knowledge to identify problems?

I wore store inserts, then graduated to custom made via the chiropractor who got it thru a supplier ... and thought I was doing right. Didn't last, and didn't solve my problems.

At last, a new chiro admitted she could supply me, but knew I had more problems than she could really identify or correct. She nudged me to the "right" place, the podiatrist, and wow what a difference. Yes more $ though if I'd gone there first, I would have a whole bunch of $$$$.

Yes, I pout, as my orthotics do not fit in pretty shoes! though my feet are much happier, which makes for a happier me .... so vanity, out the window with you! :)
I, too, pout but the pain is so bad without the orthotics that I just have to remember "to walk or not to walk". haha
Old 06-06-2011, 03:59 PM

I wear custom made orthotics from my podiatrist. It has made a huge difference in my being able to walk almost pain free (for my feet at least)
I tried all kinds of others and finally paid for these. They have been wonderful!!!!!
I wear them with SAS shoes and with Brooks running shoes.