Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
To the other Hairstylist on the board >

To the other Hairstylist on the board

To the other Hairstylist on the board

Old 05-26-2011, 02:25 PM

Have any of you tried to color and highlight your own hair, I'm trying it today because we have a family reunion this weekend and I'm so tired of the gray and don't have the money to get it done...

How in the heck do you do it? LOL

I've been at it for two hours now, it turned red on me even though I did put a little ash in the color. so now I'm putting blonde and mocha in... should and hoping it turns out being different colors and praying it works...LOL nothing like going to family reunion with your hair all out of wack....
Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 PM

I tried mine once. Wow, was it streaky? Had to hot foot it to the hairdresser to have it put right! Gave up then and had it done by her for a couple of years then could not afford it and wowee, I really liked the new streaky affect the silver gives my hair. So, going grey proudly.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

I do mine at home. I haven't had any problems other than I have to buy two boxes to cover all of my hair. I do have a brown spot on the wall because my little bathroom barely has enough room to turn around.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:47 PM

I've been using Nice & Easy hair color for about 40 of my years. At times I've had it colored or highlighted professionally but it's been back to Nice & easy for the last 20 yrs.. Takes about 25 minutes.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sandee
I've been using Nice & Easy hair color for about 40 of my years. At times I've had it colored or highlighted professionally but it's been back to Nice & easy for the last 20 yrs.. Takes about 25 minutes.
That is what I use,and it has the highlights in the color.It gives your hair just a little dimension.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:55 PM

I color mine. If you are using highlights, you need to let the bleach go past the orange color (don't freak, it works!) until it's a buttery color. I end up with brunette, dirty blonde and brighter blonde streaks.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM

I did color my own with no problems but my friend did the frosting for me I can not pull it through the cap myself. I do not usually color mine but My son is getting married nd I didn't want that old look! lol
Old 05-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by cizzors
I color mine. If you are using highlights, you need to let the bleach go past the orange color (don't freak, it works!) until it's a buttery color. I end up with brunette, dirty blonde and brighter blonde streaks.
Yeah Im hairstylist but I've never done my own hair, I want streaks I just washed it up and it came out pretty good but just a couple of places needed to be fixed from where it got on my scalp and looked like a blob...LOL
Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 PM

What was your hair color before you started today?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Aunt Patti
What was your hair color before you started today?
I use to get my hair highlighted all the time when I was working, now that Im not working I can't afford to have it done, so I thought I would try it myself...

Salt and Pepper...LOL med brown and that yucky gray, not the pretty white stuff either...LOL