Outlander series...

Old 05-16-2016, 06:01 AM

Default Outlander series...

Watch it and do like it, but the scenes in which one has to read dialog(English) at bottom of screen---mind will not bring up term for that!---- then suddenly all are speaking English, is getting annoying......
wonder, do the books do the same......
Old 05-16-2016, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I thought of watching it but the commercials just seemed too confusing. I usually don't enjoy entertainment in a foreign language but I do use the Closed Captioned when watching British show because I can't always catch their slang words.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:07 AM

No, the books are all in English. There may be a few French phrases but not like the show. Loved the books, but it does spoil the show.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It's mostly Gaelic they are translating for you, I'd imagine. The sound of it is very interesting to me and the story line, being Scottish, would hardly be the same without the 'home' language. if you have NOT read the books -- there are 9 gloriously HUGE books in the series -- do yourself a favor and find them used at Amazon, they are so much fun and SO addictive!! I started them early last fall and am now on my 3rd trip thru reading them ALL again. The actors chosen for the parts are so spot on that the STARZ show has brought the whole series to life for thousands and thousands of fans. Dina Gabaldon is an amazing wordsmith!

Jan in VA, a HUGE fan!
Old 05-17-2016, 03:20 AM

The books have French, Scottish, or Gaelic, and German words and phrases with no explanations. Gabaldon did publish The Outlander Companion with lots of explanations, summaries, and lots of other information. Read the books. They are so much better than the tv series. I refuse to watch the series knowing that things are changed and the actor playing Jamie is all wrong! I originally checked the books out from the library, but have just recently purchased all of them from Thrift Books. I can't wait to read them again.

Last edited by paoberle; 05-17-2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:57 AM

I agree with others, the books are so much better than the series. While the books are pretty descriptive in the 'romantic' scenes, the tv series is just too graphic for me. I don't need to see full frontal nudity, or how 'it' is done!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
I agree with others, the books are so much better than the series. While the books are pretty descriptive in the 'romantic' scenes, the tv series is just too graphic for me. I don't need to see full frontal nudity, or how 'it' is done!
I did read the first book....long and drawn out...will not continue the read. I do agree with the "romantic" scenes.....quite heavy, but this is beginning to happen on network tv as well.....not to mention Victoria Secret commercials or their annual burlesque show!

I do understand that the subtitles are translating the native tongue of the region of that scene........but the annoying thing is first...not left on scene long enough to completely read, and second, start with subs, then continue the scene in English.....still can't beat Downton...........
Old 05-18-2016, 06:02 AM

Love the book series and the TV show.
I've read all the books.
Can't get enough.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:20 AM

It's on already?? What station??
I used to love watching the old ones!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:31 AM

I am anxiously waiting for the next book. Anybody know when it comes out?