Overfeeding....??

Old 08-25-2010, 03:50 PM

Throw more feed on the ground.

Thanksgiving is coming up soon.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NCquilter
They are so cute! The ones we have do not get along with each other. They won't sit on the same feeder at the same time like that. They chase each other off and sit on the power lines to wait their turn.
They are playing, I've watched them for years. They play like that here for a month or so, Mid July - at least Mid to late August. They are still at it, watch them, one hovers few inches away from the feeder another comes up and they fly after each other, I've had as many as 8 flying and playing like that.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
Originally Posted by NCquilter
They are so cute! The ones we have do not get along with each other. They won't sit on the same feeder at the same time like that. They chase each other off and sit on the power lines to wait their turn.
They are playing, I've watched them for years. They play like that here for a month or so, Mid July - at least Mid to late August. They are still at it, watch them, one hovers few inches away from the feeder another comes up and they fly after each other, I've had as many as 8 flying and playing like that.
The most we've had at one time was 28 hummingbirds....that we could count. There might have been more that just wasn't up around our feeders.
We are currently going through about 2 qts daily!

I'm beginning to wonder if instead of being in the bird family that maybe they are more inclined to be in the swine family!

[miniature flying pigs!]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-104333.jpe  
Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 PM

Hummingbirds are a delight to watch! Great pics!!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 PM

Wonderful Pictues, thanks so much for sharing...
Old 08-25-2010, 09:09 PM

I got to hold a humming bird a year ago. Our screen porch had the glass knocked out of the door when we were moving something.
All kinds of flying things would get stuck in the porch till we got the glass back in.

Most of the birds I could get them to fly out once I opened the door. But this little humming bird just would not Go! I left him for a few hours and he was just tuckering himself out so I had to go out and get him with a towel
Let me tell you those little wings flap FAST!
But I got him and he flew away!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:33 PM

We have some as well, I really enjoy watching them, although I have to be quick or off they go..............
Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Banned

Beautiful pictures. God bless.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:25 AM

Lady-T, I love hummingbirds. We have tiny yellow and black finches that eat off our sunflowers. I've wantd to take pictures of them, but you can't see them as they are camouflaged in the sunflowers. Our cat will sit under the sunflowers and try to catch the finches. The sunflowers are about 5 ft. tall. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Eiltcoq.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 AM
EC

I understand that the male hummingbird will allow only his off-spring and members of his harem to feed from a feeder that he has claimed. Unless you have a lot of hummers, or a lot of feeders, this "guard bird" usually manages to scare off most others. I have tried to place feeders around the yard where he can't see them all from the same perch as this gives some others a chance to feed. We love watching them.